Is the Jan Ray fad over?

jjguitar

I had both the Timmy and Jan Ray, side by side in a true bypass looper and AB'd them. I reeeeeeally wanted to like the Timmy more so I could sell the jan ray and recoupe some of those funds but I kept the Jan Ray and sold the Timmy. A friend of mine and I did a shoot out with 4 different drive pedals and he played with his back to the amp while I switched pedals. I set them as close to the same sound as possible, then all very low gain, all high gain and all set how according to what he told me he wanted more or less of in each pedal. In every case, he picked the jan Ray as his favourite.

orogeny

Silver Supporting Member
I had both the Timmy and Jan Ray, side by side in a true bypass looper and AB'd them. I reeeeeeally wanted to like the Timmy more so I could sell the jan ray and recoupe some of those funds but I kept the Jan Ray and sold the Timmy. A friend of mine and I did a shoot out with 4 different drive pedals and he played with his back to the amp while I switched pedals. I set them as close to the same sound as possible, then all very low gain, all high gain and all set how according to what he told me he wanted more or less of in each pedal. In every case, he picked the jan Ray as his favourite.
now you just have to do it with the jan ray and the zzzzz clone

macmax77

Silver Supporting Member
I assume you're referring to me, but sorry mine was given to me free, so the money argument holds no water. Besides, there's a JAnRAy clone for $90 dollars now and the guy is thriving, so once again no validity to the money argument.

you mean another Timmy clone?

jnepo1

Gold Supporting Member
Love the Shanks 4K. I run that on my other board and stack it with the KTR. THE Jan Ray, I stack that with the Scarab Deluxe and also stack it with the Neoplex.

gpro34

Well known blues guitarist Matt Schofield replaced his long time klon with a JAn RAy, why? Because the Jan RAy is the only other drive that has the bottom end of a klon.
Matt said: " For the last few months I’ve been enjoying a Vemuram Jan Ray in place of the Klon. It’s a great boost and light overdrive pedal, one of the best I’ve heard, and the first thing to come along that made me pull the Klon of the board. It also compliments the SOV very well.

Most gear is a clone of something, doesn't mean it can't be great, but a haters going to hate...

IvIark

Listen to the video clip I posted and tell me they sound the same. That video does a better true representation of the sound differences.:rimshot

That makes absolutely no sense at all. Making the pedals sound different when they're set up incorrectly doesn't lessen a video which shows them sounding pretty much identical when the information has obviously been taken on board and they have been set up correctly for comparison.

This is probably responsible for the JanRay sounding better through Fender amps, less gritty.

They're $0.20 each. Buy a few different ones and go crazy, I wouldn't be surprised if you found one you liked better than both the 4559 and the 1458.

Well known blues guitarist Matt Schofield replaced his long time klon with a JAn RAy, why? Because the Jan RAy is the only other drive that has the bottom end of a klon.
Matt said: " For the last few months I’ve been enjoying a Vemuram Jan Ray in place of the Klon. It’s a great boost and light overdrive pedal, one of the best I’ve heard, and the first thing to come along that made me pull the Klon of the board. It also compliments the SOV very well.

Matt Schofield like most other artists would say the Behringer TO800 is the best sounding light overdrive he's ever heard if they paid him enough. Anyone who listens to anything an artist says when he is being paid for his support simply has no imagination or style of his own. How many artists have recently been endorsing the BBE Ben Wah with a Vertex badge on it?

gpro34

That makes absolutely no sense at all. Making the pedals sound different when they're set up incorrectly doesn't lessen a video which shows them sounding pretty much identical when the information has obviously been taken on board and they have been set up correctly for comparison.

They're $0.20 each. Buy a few different ones and go crazy, I wouldn't be surprised if you found one you liked better than both the 4559 and the 1458.

Matt Schofield like most other artists would say the Behringer TO800 is the best sounding light overdrive he's ever heard if they paid him enough. Anyone who listens to anything an artists endorses simply has no imagination or style of his own. How many artists have recently been endorsing the BBE Ben Wah with a Vertex badge on it?

Then you don't know Matt. Matt is very loyal to what he likes. He used a KLon for YEARS! I was amazed to see him dump his KLon in favor of the Jan RAy. Vemarum does not pay him money, but I'm sure he got his for free which is quite normal. My friend (a well known artist) gets boxes of stuff from manufacturers sent to him almost on a daily basis. Oh, and I was playing the Jan Ray before him, so that had no bearing on my decision. I was one of the first to get one.

IvIark

Then you don't know Matt. Matt is very loyal to what he likes. He used a KLon for YEARS! I was amazed to see him dump his KLon in favor of the Jan RAy. Vemarum does not pay him money, but I'm sure he got his for free which is quite normal. My friend (a well known artist) gets boxes of stuff from manufacturers sent to him almost on a daily basis.

I neither know Matt nor care what his opinion is on a pedal so I'm probably the wrong person to ask about that. Have you asked him whether he can get the same bass response from the Timmy it's a copy of?

gpro34

I neither know Matt nor care what his opinion is on a pedal so I'm probably the wrong person to ask about that. Have you asked him whether he can get the same bass response from the Timmy it's a copy of?
Yes, actually, and I tested it myself. The Timmy bass response was different, not quite as much. The Jan Ray is the only pedal that has that much bass, other than the klon. The JAn Ray though actually retains better bass than the klon in overdrive mode because the klon's bass diminishes as you introduce gain to the circuit. Like I said, Matt is a rarity. He rarely changes anything, and his gear has remained the same for longer than I can remember, that's the only reason I mentioned him. He would never had made the switch if it wasn't something he believed in or really liked. And, if you've never checked him out you should, the man knows great tone, and he's a great player too.

IvIark

I'm not disputing whether he likes it or not, or whether he absolutely adores the bass response. I'm disputing the idea that there is any significant difference between the bass responses in two pedals with a virtually identical high pass filter.

I just don't believe in magic or that something "just happens".

gpro34

I'm not disputing whether he likes it or not, or whether he absolutely adores the bass response. I'm disputing the idea that there is any significant difference between the bass responses in two pedals with a virtually identical high pass filter.

I just don't believe in magic or that something "just happens".
Not sure about the technical stuff, but I've had two Timmy's (handwired, PCB) and the JAn Ray. I know the chips are different, along with a few other values. Whatever it is, the bass was fuller in the an Ray and they sounded different. The Timmy had more brittle highs, which might be good in the right application, but with me Fender amps it worked better for me.

bobotwt

I have to agree with IvIark. It has been shown schematically to be a Timmy with a couple component changes. One can definitely prefer the changes in the JR vs the stock Timmy, but you can get most of the way there with an IC swap and adjusting the tone controls. Most of the remaining gap could be covered with a treble pot swap.

Josh

BluesHarp

Sorry for the late reply.. Through a Germino Club 40 KT77's and a Fargen Blackbird 6L6's.

Through what guitar and amp?

Thats what I like about the Timmy..the tight uncompressed grit into Marshall, Tweed, and Vox-ish style amps. Should say im using a LM1458 opamp.. that makes it warmer.

I didn't. The Jan Ray is fuller sounding and less gritty, and works great in Fender amps. I never liked my Timmy much for that purpose. PAul should just offer that mod for those who prefer it. They came up with a winner, maybe not all original, but not much is in this industry.

Top Bottom