Is the Josh Scofield Ibanez guitar the next guitar for me?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by jamminoutloud1, Jun 23, 2006.

1. jamminoutloud1

jamminoutloud1 Supporting Member

Hey guys,
    I am currently playing a Heritage Prospect guitar and am really digging it, but unfortunely within a few months I will have to get another guitar because I have only 2 fret dresses left my guitar tech tell me.
    I was thinking about just going out and buying the same guitar again, but I wasn't sure how consistant Heritage guitars were and if the feel of the next one would be similar to the same one I have now.
    I love playing Jazz through this guitar, but it really gets some killer rock, blues, and fusion sounds as well. It has 2 59's.
    I was checking out the John Scofield model Ibanez and it looks really nice, anybody have experience with this guitar? I would love to hear what you have to say.

2. esoteric pete

esoteric pete Supporting Member

3. corgiears

corgiears Member

Not that the Scofield isn't a nice guitar - it is - but couldn't you just have the Heritage re-fretted?

4. Kappy

Kappy Member

+1 for the refret. Why not?

Regardless, I hear the older Ibanez Sco models are a lot better than the newer ones (isn't that always the case?). I looked for a while on ebay before I wound up getting my CS-336 in a trade (which has definitely quieted my GAS for that kinda' guitar for the time being). Unfortunately, I didn't see many come up used over the course of a couple of months (though I didn't look every day), so if you have some time to wait, it might save you a bunch of dough if you find one up there.

P.S. I hear Josh Scofield's doing Bar Mitzvahs now. ;)

5. KRosser

KRosser Member

Exactly - needing a refret is no reason to get rid of a guitar, much like needing new tires is no reason to get rid of a car. It should be a fairly routine job for any qualified tech.

6. livedead13

livedead13 Member

definitely go for a refret!

i'm currently having a refret done on an old p.o.s. Electra Tele-copy that is probably worth about $200 (thats stretching it), but i love the guitar (it was one of my 1st) so i have no qualms with getting a refret, which is going to cost me about $175.

7. Dave Orban

Dave Orban Gold Supporting Member

My main gigger is a '53 175.

Thank God I'm not playing on THOSE original frets. LOL!

8. jamminoutloud1

lol...Josh Scofield...
    As stupid as this sounds, I had no idea a refret could help me with the guitar. The way my tech made it sound, even though I didn't ask even further, was that after 2 more fret jobs my guitar is done.
    If I get a refret job, how much longer can that keep a guitar going for. I mean it is a set neck guitar as well. Please explain more about this refretting job...also, how much do they usually cost?

9. Kappy

Kappy Member

I think refrets are in the $400 - $500 range. Sometimes a bound fingerboard will cost a bit more. After you get one done by someone skilled, the guitar should last you as long as guitars last, which I'm guessing could be the rest of your life if you take care of it. If you mean how long until the next refret job, how old is this guitar? It took that long to need the first refret (and you seem to indicate maybe a while before you actually need the refret). Depending on how much you play, anywhere from 5-15 years before you need another? Maybe there are some experts who can chime in and correct me if I'm off.

10. jamminoutloud1

well, I've had the guitar for about 3 years. I assumed that as soon as you get a lot of fret jobs done, and the wood goes to down to the grain, it would be physically impossible to keep the guitar going...

11. Flyin' Brian

Flyin' Brian Member

Hell if you don't refret it pm me about getting rid of it

12. corgiears

corgiears Member

And you could always get it refretted with Stainless Steel frets which supposedly last alot longer...

And look, I kind of see it like this: there are a lot of "good" guitars out there, but very few "special" ones - whether they are just great instruments or merely special to the player sentimentally. No reason to give up a great guitar completely just because the frets are shot. How long did Clapton play Blackie? It had a bunch of refrets if I remember correctly. You do want to have this done by someone skilled though - nothing will bung up a guitar faster than a crappy fret job..... :nono

13. Kappy

Kappy Member

I've never heard of a guitar being a throwaway after (by your timeframe) 6-7 years...at least not without some serious abuse or unless it was a total POS to begin with. And from what I hear of Heritage guitars, it's not the latter.

14. jamminoutloud1

I don't understand how it works, if you get a lot of fret jobs, doesn't that bring the wood down, and eventually you can't go any lower?

15. Phillip_H

Phillip_H Member

A refret shouldn't affect the fingerboard at all, if that's what you're thinking. The tech will just pull out the old frets and hammer some new ones in.

16. daddyo

daddyo Guest

When the frets are pulled, there will some tear out. That's why sometimes the fretboard needs to be sanded a bit. A bit. The board is 1/4" thick so the average guitar probably has 3 or 4 refrets.

17. mad dog

mad dog Silver Supporting Member

I think jammin (or his tech said) he only has two more fret dresses left. That sounds logical to me. My '61 strat was refretted in '95, just had it dressed this year. Depending on wear, next time might be either another fret dressing or another refret.

If refretting is done skillfully -- and you don't deeply wear the fingerboard itself between fret jobs -- refretting should have minimal impact on the fretboard. Don't trade that guitar away because it needs a little attention. How often did Stevie Ray refret his beat up old strat? It's just part of the game.

18. Huckleberry

Huckleberry Member

That would be from the slots, not the board itself.

19. Bluespicker

Bluespicker Member

Even then you can just get a new fingerboard instead of a whole new guitar. The new tire analogue was the best, makes no sense to trash the guitar just because it needs a refret.

People are still playing guitars that were made in the early '50s, you can imagine how many refrets they've been thru. Good guitars are hard to come by, let alone throw away after 3 years.

20. michaelprice83

michaelprice83 Member

haha.......josh......that's funny