Is the Komet Concorde a Trainwreck Express??

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Rod, Sep 15, 2006.

1. Rod

Rod Tone is Paramount Silver Supporting Member

I was curious guys just how close the Komet Concorde is to a Trainwreck Express??? I know that the 60 is somewhat cleaner, but is the Concorde really the ticket?? This is a ton of $$, and I don't want to make another "Two Rock" mistake....thanks

2. clothwiring

clothwiring Supporting Member

What about getting the Ceiratone version? Less money and supposedly the same thing as a TW Xpress. Just a thought.

3. 57special

57special Silver Supporting Member

I've recently had my very good Express clone tweaked (premium tubes, rebiased,etc.) by a guy who has real Express. He then did some extensive A/B'ing between the two.
    Basically, it sounds like mine is a pale imitation of the real thing. Or his is the real thing, mine is the silicone implant :eek: .
    Musicality seems to be the separating issue, not volume, gain, or anything that you can put a finger on. I'd love for mine to sound as good as a real Wreck, but i do happen to believe in KF, and his ability to design and put together an amp. To expect a clone to have the same sound is a bit of a pipe dream, i think. Still CAN be a very good amp, though.

4. mlongano

mlongano Member

Call Mike Kennedy at Komet...he'd be happy to discuss this question with you, and you'd get an honest knowledgable answer from an expert.

5. sinasl1

sinasl1 Member

Yup they are expensive.. but I forgot about the dough real quick as soon as i plugged in. So I own one now, and I don't want to be all new gear honeymoon guy, but.. desert island amp, that's what I say. I've never played an express.. I can't imagine it sounds much better..? That good, really.

6. matte

matte Senior Member

the quick answer si no. had both here. loved the kf 50 too, but the vht deliverance 60 beat it at it's own game. the express is it's own animal completely.

7. wsaraceni

wsaraceni Member

note to self. try deliverance 60.

i've only played the komet 60 and never played the concorde or a real wreck so i cant really comment. the k60 was amazing though

8. DucRyder

DucRyder Member

Matte, what kind of animal is it? or what set it apart to you, feel, gain, etc? Just a screamin' lead wheelie machine?:D

9. matte

matte Senior Member

the express is only as good as the weakest link in the tube chain. the amp can truly be tweaked to individual preferences through tube tuning. the fact that one can run either 6vs or 34s really accentuates the particular tonal and response characteristics of either power tube (not to mention the distinct differences within brands etc.).

10. chetsmith

chetsmith Member

I know I am a bad boy to say this Roddy but Buy it, I think you will enjoy it, your a great player and you will make it sound great, no doubt about it;)

11. pureoldsound

pureoldsound Member

I was under the impression that the KF50 was sort of a Marshall super bass like amp but really good. I hear the clips on the Komet site and it sounds nothing like an express more marshally sounding. I think the closest to an express without going the clone route is the constellation. If you listen to the Mississippi queen and compare that to the real express there are lots of similarities in the tone.....

12. IPlayHamers

IPlayHamers Member

For me it's the Connie. That amp has everything I want in spades. Believe it or not, I like the tone of it better than the real Express:messedup

Let the games begin.

IPH

13. matte

matte Senior Member

which express? no 2 are the same.:messedup

14. Jackie Treehorn

Jackie Treehorn Member

Interesting. Did he open up your clone? What were his thoughts on why it didn't have the right "musicality?"

15. 58gasman

58gasman Member

Just wondering, if each Express is tweaked differently what conclusions can you really draw from a comparison with a clone? I mean, I can see if you like the Express better but is it because it is inherently better or is it that you like this particular flavor of Express better? I not sure if this means the clone is not as good or just different.

16. Blueser

Blueser Member

I love mine too. I heard a Liverpool at one of the Tonefests in NYC, and the tone haunted me. When I heard the Constellation, I thought to myself....."That's it, only better"! I hunted one down, and am extremely happy with the amp!

17. 57special

57special Silver Supporting Member

Yes, the clone was opened up. He saw nothing obviously different, or anything that he thought he could/ would change out that would make the amp sound better.
    Specifically, the clone sounded harsh when played against the Express. The real one had better cleans, better transitioning from clean to dirty, and a sweeter, more musical, distortion. Also, though they both were probably as loud, the real one felt less loud. Overall, just sweeter, yet able to get nasty at the same time.
    What is musical? Big question. More inspiring, perhaps? Someone with training in amp tech stuff might talk about even and odd order harmonics,etc..
    My belief is that anyone talented enough to make an Express clone that is as good as one KF's is good enough not to have to clone his work.

mikoo69 likes this.
  18. 908SSP

908SSP Supporting Member

I prefer my Express clone to a LTD. Both were played side by side into the same cab with an headbone pedal so the comparison was all amp. The only reason I would take a LTD over my clone is because I could sell it for more then my clone.

19. Jackie Treehorn

Jackie Treehorn Member

Well, honestly, it sounds like your clone isn't finished yet. If you hear differences and want to move the sound of your amp in a more "musical" direction, why not look in some of the less obvious areas? Just because your clone at the moment doesn't hit the mark, does not mean that it's impossible. It seems even with all his talent, Ken still sold an AC30 clone. Everyone seems to overlook that fact in all the "don't clone the wrecks" rhetoric.

There's a lot of variations that could be done on your amp to change its character if you wanted, not that sounding like an authentic wreck has to be the goal. You need to make it the amp YOU want. Your original post just seemed odd to me, because I was wondering what obstacle could be so insurmountable. Obviously, there's a lot attributed to mojo/voodoo/mystery etc. but I'm truly more intersted in a specific discussion about these type of amps.

20. dbeeman

dbeeman Gold Supporting Member

was the rocket kind of an ac30ish thing?