Is the Korg AX-3000G a good choice?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by blues65, Dec 20, 2005.

1. blues65

blues65 Guest

I would like to know any opinion about this gear, if someone has tried out a unit like this.

2. bgmacaw

bgmacaw Member

I'd have to say no, at least not at the $350 price level. It looks like they're getting discontinued so you might find them at $50 to $100 off in blow-out sales. That would make them more attractive price-wise.

Soundwise, the Korg units are OK but I don't think they do as good a job as the POD (particularly the POD XT) or even the Behringer V-Amp. I found the pedal to be particularly weak on my AX1000G since it broke even with my light, non-gigging, usage.

If you're planning on spending that much on a floor based multi-effects unit I'd suggest spending just a little more and getting a POD XT Live ($399) or a Vox Tonelab ($499).

3. oxtone

oxtone Member

The AX3000G is brand new from Korg, and I just tried one last night. I thought the amp simulations sounded much better than the POD stuff. The distortion had a nice, crunchy midrange to it.

The POD XTLive might be easier to use, but the jury's out on this new Korg pedal. It wasn't easy to figure out, but I'll look at it again. I have one church gig where they don't like stage volume, so this would be a good alternative to bringing my 4 space Marshall JMP-1/Rocktron Replifex/Sabine Rack Tuner/Carvin power amp rig.

I think bcmacow is thinking of the old AX300G, not the new AX3000G. I may be wrong, of course. :eek:

4. bluescube

bluescube Supporting Member

The new Zoom G7 @ $300 looks to be a better buy.

5. bgmacaw

bgmacaw Member

I was thinking of the 3000. I was wondering if it was discontinued since MF and a few other sites I checked either don't have it or are discounting it. Korg has been known in the past to introduce and discontinue products rather quickly.

6. oxtone

oxtone Member

Well, I went over to GC again today, and played thru the AX3000G for about an hour. I couldn't stop playing thru it, it sounded so good! And that's coming from a dedicated tube guy! I've hated all the modeling amps I've heard before, including all Line 6 Pods. But this Korg unit sounds so natural and tube-like. The distortion sounds are crunchy and harmonically rich - very usable sounds. They even clean up at lower gain settings. I also like the effects. The Reverb and Delay sounds are excellent.

I may just pick one up for "direct" gigs. Forget the POD - this Korg unit sounds alot better!

7. bgmacaw

bgmacaw Member

8. bgmacaw

bgmacaw Member

What did you play through? My AX1000G sounded good through my Peavey Bandit 65 but its recorded sounds were lacking (usually it sounded thin to me). The expression pedal breaking and my disatisfaction with the recorded sounds are why I ended up replacing it with the V-Amp. Maybe they've done more with the recording interface in the newer model.

I agree on this. That's one of the good things on it.

9. oxtone

oxtone Member

bgmacaw,

At GC they have it connected to the input of a Fender Blues Jr. tube amp. The AX3000G sounds excellent thru it, especially with the "Fat" button engaged on the amp. The more I played it, the sales guys were like "man, I have to get me one of those! It sounds great!".

I've never tried any Korg stuff before, but this floored me. I wonder, though, if I could plug the AX3000G into the inputs of my Boogie Simul 2:90 power amp? Jeepers, that would sound HUGE, but it would defeat the purpose of traveling light to gig...

I'm thinking I could run it thru the effects Return of my Peavey Classic 30.

10. blues65

blues65 Guest

thank you guys, i don`t have too many options in my homeland, Mendoza, Argentina, when it comes down to get some new gear. As a matter of fact, even prices are disconnected from reality. For instance, you pay u$s350 for the Korg unit, but if you want to get a GNX-4 or a Boss GT-8 you have to pay U$S 1000!!!! that's the reason why i was interested on Korg instead of a bigger unit like those mentioned. Thanks again for your posts.

11. oxtone

oxtone Member

Blues65,

Do a Google search for the Korg AX3000G, and you'll find it
    on www.synthplanet.com for:

Listprice : [FONT=verdana,arial,helvetica]USD 470.13[/FONT]
    [FONT=verdana,arial,geneva]Our Price : [FONT=verdana,arial,helvetica]USD 252.55[/FONT]

That's the best price I've found so far.
    [/FONT]