Is the KoT really all that or is it just manufactured hype?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by rockguitardude, Jul 31, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rockguitardude

rockguitardude Member

Haven't gotten to try out out but yeah see title! =)

2. NewarkWilder

NewarkWilder Member

if it were some no-name builder or marketing guru's product i might be skeptical... but from Mike? you can trust his work. its a fact.

3. jazzandmetal?

jazzandmetal? Supporting Member

I guess it depends on your taste in drive pedals. I thought it sounded good, but I didn't like it enough to order one/get on the list. Only had it for a few days to check out though.

4. NewarkWilder

NewarkWilder Member

yeah, whether its exactly the pedal for you or not is completely subjective of course i was just saying its definitely not "manufactured hype" :AOK

5. gitpicker

gitpicker Silver Supporting Member

I had one and dug it, but I ended up selling it because prices were so crazy and GAS pains were demanding action. I will say this, it is a fairly unique sounding pedal that definitely has its own vibe going on. Is it worth what people are asking for on eBay??? Not to me, but it is definitely worth what Mike P is asking for it, if you can stand the wait.

6. NeilYoungFan

NeilYoungFan Supporting Member

100% worth :dude

From all the TGP "Holy Grail/Waiting list/Hype" stuff, this was the one that caught my attention.
    I've spent hours watching/listening to demos of Klon/Zendrive/Tim/etc. From all, KOT was the one that impressed me the most.
    Never thought I'd settle to an OD pedal, as I consider it to be the most important pedal and difficult to choose. When I bought mine, it was a revelation! This was what I always wanted a low-medium OD to sound like.

7. jhumber

jhumber Member

It's worth noting that as a list price, it's also a relatively mid-priced pedal.
    I'm on ths list - won't pay $500 for one, but will pay under half that.

8. wingwalker

wingwalker Fuzzy Guitars

I don't know what you want/need from an overdrve pedal so I can't say if it is for you personally but I can say that it is all that and not hype IMO. I think it's the best low to mid gain OD pedal I've ever used and I've used quite a few!

I know the list is long and that really messes with folks but the best thing to do is get one the list and forget about it, one day you'll get an email then just buy one at the list price and try it...if you simply can't wait pay the inflated TGP/ebay prices for one and try it if you make up your mind fast enough you can sellit if you want w/o loosing money.

9. MinuteMan

MinuteMan Member

excellent pedal. i use both channels seperately and stacked. also stacks very nicely with my honey bee.

10. wingwalker

wingwalker Fuzzy Guitars

If you can compare the sound of the Honey Bee to the KoT...

11. ruger9

ruger9 Supporting Member

As a KOT owner, and someone who has been thru dozens of ODs, I can say the KOT is one of the best.

Does it live up to the (over)hype? Probably as much as the Klon lives up to it's (over)hype. Only YOU can decide.

BTW- I'm not comparing the 2 pedlas in tone or function, just in "hype" status.

12. Dandy13

Dandy13 Member

I'll let you know in 2 years

13. soundbee

soundbee Member

Yes - it's all that, and a bag-o-chips.

14. Sniper-V

Sniper-V Member

+1

And I couldn't just have one...

I got 2 and one more on the waiting list.

15. Guinness Lad

Guinness Lad Silver Supporting Member

Don't know if I'd buy one off Ebay but if you can wait $240 for a new is the deal of the century. You could always buy Version 2 used and save some $, this what I did. I'm on the list but have something in the mean time.

16. Jahn

Jahn Listens to Johnny Marr, plays like John Denver Supporting Member

i had the v2, and it was indeed an impressive pedal. the boost was REALLY transparent, the gain channel was almost amp-like in its overdrive, and the fiddly knobs were all very usable. the only reason i don't have it now is because i'm on the list for a v4!

17. bandofthieves™

bandofthieves™ Member

Based on Mike's description on his website of the King Of Tone,There is Zero Hype. It has delivered every thing he said it would from the beginning. I first purchased a V1 then 3 of the V4's over the next couple of years. Never been tempted to sell any of them. Great Tools for the job. There might be a waiting list,but the pedal is for real,unlike the Hyped K.W.S. that never arrived.:jo

18. apoyando

apoyando Supporting Member

I have had one for years, first the V2 and now V4; it works for me consistently regardless of amp/guitar. It's important to know what it " is " and what it's " not ". It won't substitute for a tube amp ( ala the Ethos) or talent (it's just a pedal obviously), but it is very musical and allows a wide range of low to mid gain sounds with control from your guitar volume. One great flavor.......

19. 12345678

12345678 Senior Member

The HailS8N Guide to being a famous pedal builder

Step 1 - Build pedal (preferably a light OD box)

Step 2 - Start a website and make exaggerated claims as to what your pedal can do.

Step 3 - Get them into people's hands. Do some beta testing. Use your resources! Places like TGP are a great place to start your hype machine.

Step 4 - Set the price fairly high. $300 is a good place to start.

Step 5 - Even if you haven't sold any units, or even if you've just sold 1 or 2, START A WAITING LIST!!! This is probably the most important thing you can do. Even if you can throw the thing together in 24 hours, make people believe that your process is SO labor intense and SO many people need this thing that your order may take 3, 6, 12 months. Make something up.

Step 6 - Put your unit on ebay for twice the selling price. So, if you're charging $300, put the thing on ebay for $600. If nobody buys it, create an account and buy it from yourself just to make things look good.

It's all in the myth building.

20. pbone

pbone Member

You forgot the step that has you describe the pedal using the most ambiguous adjectives available, such as "woody".

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.