• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

Is the la Cabronita a one trick pony...

guitardad

Or could the whole tele/filtertron thing work well as an all-around guitar in terms of flexibility/tones?

I REALLY dig the aesthetics on these, and have heard a few online recordings of both Fender's models and clones. However, I don't trust my computer speakers enough to judge the tone.

I've seen the big players out there using them.

My question, for those of you that have a Cab or Cab clone is, does it cover much tonal ground, or do you always need that guitar PLUS another to get through a gig?

Just looking for input before I dive in to a custom tele. I don't want to be blinded by looks and end up with a very limited or specific tone that's not useable.

Thanks!

Waxhead

Or could the whole tele/filtertron thing work well as an all-around guitar in terms of flexibility/tones?

I REALLY dig the aesthetics on these, and have heard a few online recordings of both Fender's models and clones. However, I don't trust my computer speakers enough to judge the tone.

I've seen the big players out there using them.

My question, for those of you that have a Cab or Cab clone is, does it cover much tonal ground, or do you always need that guitar PLUS another to get through a gig?

Just looking for input before I dive in to a custom tele. I don't want to be blinded by looks and end up with a very limited or specific tone that's not useable.

Thanks!
Had never heard of a "la Cabronita" so googled it.
Is this what you're talking about - a Tele with one TV Jones PowerTron.

http://www.fender.com/customshop/instruments/search.php?partno=9236666506

If so ..... if won't be half as versatile as a Tele with 2 TV Jones Filtertrons and nowhere near the class, or versatility, of any Gretsch with TV Jones Filtertrons ;)

IMO, I think the tele is such a great platform for messing around with different pickups because at the heart of it, a tele sound AMAZING. Fixed bridge, solid feel. You don't see people as often saying "should I put a TV Jones or a P90 or a mini humbucker in my strat?" You see it, yes, but not nearly as often as with a tele.

DrumBob

Platinum Supporting Member
If you like a one-pickup guitar, it's great. You can build one for a heck of a lot less money than paying Fender's sick price.

shredtrash

Gold Supporting Member
I've never played one but I can't imagine it would be a "one-trick pony." I can think of a bunch of different applications for that guitar, especially if it has a TV Jones Powertron. Those pickups are incredibly versatile and coupled with a versatile guitar like a Tele? C'mon!

kwaping

Guitar payer
On a related note, I tried out a Tom Delonge strat yesterday and really liked it. It might be a one-trick pony, but it's a hell of a trick!

WornFrets

Gold Supporting Member
I feel like my MIJ Esquire Custom does a whole lot; I would imagine replacing the Tele pickup with a Filtertron would make it even more versatile.

tbonesullivan

just get a tele with standard size humbuckers and pop in some TV jones pickups. They make them to fit in just about any kind of route, even p-90s.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom