• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

Is the Marshall TSL, combo or head a good amp?

yoshiii

Hello

Is the Marshall TSL combo or head a good amp for hard rock, rock?

I am planning to buy the SC Studio in the future and maybe even the JVM.

Guitar store has a TSL combo for 749 dollars.

Wonder if it is worth buying. How does it compare to the current DSL amps?

NJD3VIL77

I don’t have any experience with those amps, but if it sounds good… it is good. I always let my ears have the deciding factor in any amp or tone decisions. Sometimes an amp specs well on paper but can sound like poop. Best to go the the shop and try them out if possible.

prodrigu

Silver Supporting Member
I have both DSL and TSL and love them both but the TSL in particular usually gets a lot of hate on the interwebz

Toby Krebs

I’ve heard several TSLs that were very good.But they can have that defective circuit board runaway bias red plating problem so try it out and let it get hot if possible.

mysticaxe

Silver Supporting Member
I used to have a TSL60 (when you could buy them new) and a 2204 at the same time. I still have the 2204. I think they are very solid hard rock amps that get very solid tone with three footswitchable channels. While I wouldn't call it a "jack-of-all Marshall trades, master of none," it starts to go down that path. I loved it with Greenbacks, which have a strong enough sonic signature and made the amp sound much better.

If you were to ask me, I would likely look at the DSL40 combo and get an SD-1/tubescreamer/boost instead. The green crunch on the DSL100 that I had around the same time as the TSL sounded better than anything on the TSL. The TSL red channel sounded better than the DSL red (didn't feel as compressed). The one place where the TSL clearly wins is the ability to have independent EQ settings between clean and dirty (or all three channels 3 if you have the 100 watter) - if that is something that is important to you.

Used to have the TSL 100 myself. I loved the versatility and it was a fun amp in use. Later someone said... what did they say (?)... that the DSL was made to higher quality than the TSL despite both being siblings of the JCM2000 family. Don't recall the difference between methods of construction now but it's been debated to death here and elsewhere.

Into a 1960 with real, vintage G12-65s and there is tonnes of joy in a not so neat package.

les_paul

I like mine. It has the updated PCB so no worries from me. If I recall correctly the 60 watt amps never had the bias drift problem.

It's a sleeper amp. If you can get a reliable one or have the time and patience to make one reliable I say go for it.

NashSG

TSL100 is a loud, loud amp. Kinda like some JCM900s which the DSL/TSL replaced - they are not as highly thought of as the JCM800s or older Marshall models. That said these amps have been in rental back lines and on stages and recordings all over the world.

Being that it probably is a near 20 year old amp, it kinda depends on how well it has been kept up. I think like all Marshalls I have been around, there is a pretty wide variation even on some of the same model, as some seem to sound a bit better than others. So if you light it up and it sounds pretty good to you, it probably would work.

Don't know about the TSL combo, but there was some of the DSL combos that had a real bad problem of overheating. Played in a band with someone that had one of those back in the late 90s.

I had a TSL for a couple of years and sold it when I got my first Boogie.

mysticaxe

Silver Supporting Member
Don't know about the TSL combo, but there was some of the DSL combos that had a real bad problem of overheating. Played in a band with someone that had one of those back in the late 90s.
If I remember correctly, most of the DSL combos with the heating issues were EL-84 based (which could be completely wrong). The TSL is a fun amp, and if you can get a "screaming deal" on it and it seems like it is in good working condition, it is worth a flyer. If it starts to creep up to the price of a comparable, newer production DSL, then I am much less interested.

NashSG

Yeah, I would agree- if you are playing rock on stage and can play with some volume - the TSL would get it done. Might not be the idealized Marshall, but it is a 100 watt Marshall head. Clean channel on those amps is pretty good with quite a bit of head room.

Not exactly sure, but those also might be the last UK built stock models.

Aahzz

Which TSL combo? There were 2 60 watt combos, a 112 and a 212, and a 100 watt combo - think it only came in 212. The 60 watts have separate EQ for clean channel, shared for crunch and lead. The 100 has separate EQ for all 3 channels.

I bought a 60 watt 212 when they were first released, had it for years and loved it - but man, it was a HEAVY beast. Also, with the shared EQ, I found it difficult to dial in a tone I liked on both crunch and lead - could get either one to sound great, but it never worked as well for me on the other.

The ironic thing about that is I'm now using a DSL40CR - one EQ for the whole amp, and I find it sounds great in any of the 4 modes. Given the choice between a TSL 60 and the DSL40CR, I much prefer the DSL.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom