Is the Maxon PH350 good enough for your Vibe needs?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by infiniteposse, Mar 17, 2008.

1. infiniteposse

infiniteposse Member

Hi all-

I've done some searches and this subject is address in the periphery of some other threads, but never directly touched on.

I'm curious how many of you find that a phaser, or specifically the Maxon PH350, can address your vibe-ish (think Mojovibe, etc...) needs. Listening to the clips of the Mojovibe on Youtube I'm thinking, "I can get pretty darn close to that with my Maxon," but I'm so in love with that sound that the idea of having the PH350 and a dedicated Vibe doesn't sound all that cracked out to me. (but then again insanity is part of the definition of an addiction, too, so take that with a grain of salt) :)

Thoughts? How many of you have both? How many had one and ditched the other? How many of you can get your PH350 to do the vibe thang perfectly?

Thanks!

2. bluntage

bluntage Member

I'd like to hear some responses too! I just sold a Mojo and a Deja because they weren't working with my rig. I just received a PH350 and a Moon Phaser to see if they would give me the "vibe" without the headaches I was having.

I'll report back when I have had a chance to put them through their aces.

3. earache33

earache33 Member

i have the ph350 and a lovepedal vibe. i dont think you can dial in a very accurate vibe sound with the ph350, though it is a great pedal and very versatile. the ph350 can sound more like a flanger than a vibe.[​IMG]

4. cbpickin

cbpickin Tweed Supporting Member Silver Supporting Member

While the PH350 is my favorite phaser, it doesn't really work for vibe tones. I've even stacked my tremolo with the PH350, but you just can't get the throb of a real good vibe unit with it. I had a Mojo Vibe for a long time, but I finally sold it because I found I really wanted phaser much more often than vibe. If you want vibe, get a Mojo or similar.

5. bluntage

bluntage Member

I've been playing with the PH350 and the Moon Phaser tonight. Neither nails the vibe, but both get a decent approximation. I'm not sure either is sufficient for my wants and needs but I can say that both are extremely versatile in their breadth of tones!

I need to spend a bit more time with them before I decide whether to sell one or both. ;)

6. carltonh

carltonh Member

Anyone compare the PH350 to the Subdecay Quasar?

7. bionic

bionic Member

I love my Maestro phaser when it is goosed from a big muff. It really rips your face off. I am looking for a smaller foot print as this thing is huge. Is the Maxon on par if I were to goose it with a sick amount of fuzz?

8. lcjc800

lcjc800 Member

I use the Maxon PH350, it won't do vibe for me. I did have Maxon PT999 before, and with med-heavy OD or distortion it would do a convincing vibe. The 350 is a great Phaser in it's own right tons of tweak in it but, not vibe like.
    I use a Custom MJM 60's Vibe, it replaced a Roger Mayer VooDoo Vibe I had for years, it is as good as the VooDoo but much simpler to use on the fly.

[​IMG]

9. infiniteposse

infiniteposse Member

Thanks guys. Great discussion. I appreciate all of the feedback. I may have to go on a Vibe-quest this year. It's not a sound I want all of the time, but boys it's amazing when it's right.

10. bluntage

bluntage Member

I've been (and continue to be) on a "vibe" hunt for the last year. Prepare to spend a good amount of time and money chasing the sound in your head. That said, it can be quite a lot of fun!

Good luck!
    :BEER

11. funkycam

funkycam Member

I think the ph350 does a killer vibe.
    speed @ 4 oclock.
    depth 5 oclock. 4 stages mode & feedback @ 12 oclock.
    thick & lush. instant charlie hunter

12. henke

henke Member

I used to own a mojo vibe. Loved it but used it far to little. But that is probably the perfect vibe in my ears. Now I've come to look for a phaser and I think that the 350 will be perfect!

13. matchless

matchless Silver Supporting Member

ph350-if you are into phasers-they are great,but mine would not do a true throbbing vibe tone

14. in_sherman

in_sherman Member

i went over to some guy's house, he had an mjm sixties vibe. when he started to play it, i noticed how it sounded really, really similar to my maxon. it wasn't back-to-back, but damn.
    as stated above, the 350 also is capable of more flange-like tones as well, which makes it even more awesome

15. Twangasaurus

Twangasaurus Member

To put it simply one has the sound, another the versatility. You just can't beat those photo couplers in the Maxon.