Is the MI Audio Blues Pro considered high-gain?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by StompBoxBlues, Jan 4, 2006.

1. StompBoxBlues

StompBoxBlues Member

Question is basically in the header....so is it?

2. jeak

jeak Member

I'd say no. I'd say it's medium, but it depends on your definitions. To my ears, the Pro is about as high as I'd want. But my RAT, a true high-gain pedal, has much more gain. The MI site says the Blue Boy has more gain than the Blues Pro, but to my ears, they are about the same. If anything, the Pro has a little more attitude at 5 o'clock that seems higher gain to me. You guys correct me if I'm wrong, but I think most folks consider the Pro low to medium gain.

3. derek_32999

derek_32999 Member

Not to my ears. The highest gain I can get out of mine is derek trucks solo album tone from joyful noise. Very sweet. I hated to get rid of mine!!!! DAMN GAS!!!!!!!!!! Cant complain though the liquid sunshine is proving VERY effective with what I am doing sonically.

4. b_rad

b_rad Member

5. 58lespaulman

58lespaulman Member

I would say it's got a little more gain than the TS-808 Tube Screamer. I love it by the way.

Shane Pasqualla
    WET ANIMAL
    http://www.wetanimal.net

6. StompBoxBlues

StompBoxBlues Member

I do too, can't wait to try it out "at volume" with my band on Monday.

Also have a Zendrive on order, which I don't know...but think, is a lesser gain pedal than the Blues Pro?

7. StompBoxBlues

StompBoxBlues Member

By the way...the Blues Pro is soooo much better than what I used to think was good....it actually scares me !!

I mean it. I played with it for a while, and was scared to trust my senses. Next day, nervous that it was just a dream, went down again and tried it...DAMN...thing sounds great. I know it's stupid, but it is too good to be true.

I even am intimidated, not wanting to screw with any settings cause it sounds so good...worried I'll change something and NEVER get the setting again :)

I'm only half kidding, I am a little worried I'll wake up and it was all a dream. This thing has just the right everything. I believe (but we'll see) that it is the kind that cuts nicely...politely but firmly, through the mix too.

Was thinking about ordering another, but I gotta check out the Zendrive too.

8. cslagle7

cslagle7 Member

Can anyone compare the Zendrive and the Blues Pro? Do they cover similar ground?

9. Madsman

Madsman Member

This pedal has done something that's worth the price of admission for me, and I'm talking about BESIDES sounding fantastic.

It has forstalled my OD gas. I'm in stasis. It's really weird.

I was apprehensive, when I ordered at first. I have no idea why. It was cheap, new, and I had the builder answering my questions by e-mail. Michael makes great pedals, and this one sounds fan-freaking-tastic. If I start looking at other pedals, this one is going on the shelf of fame, to come back again at a later date. But for the forseeable future, I've got my main OD. Knocked off several cool contenders, ALL of which cost more (most of which cost double.)

10. jeak

jeak Member

Here's an old thread with some MI Audio content (Blue Boy and Blues Pro). If you skip to the top of the third page, you'll see my thoughts on the Zen vs. MI Audio:

http://thegearpage.net/board/showthread.php?t=105671

11. StompBoxBlues

StompBoxBlues Member

I meant to say to you, thanks. I read this when I was considering what to get, whether to get it...actually, now that I think about it, I read first about it here, and it got me interested.

Am I ever glad you wrote that. Your description was definitely what tipped me over to the Blues Pro. I also have on order a Zendrive :)
    which I am sure I am going to be happy with too, but this thing alone is just fantastic. I don't have to wait til monday, got a jam going first on Sunday now. I just cant wait to hear this in a real live volume situation.

So anyway, thanks! If it wasn't for you I might not have gotten this. I was feeling like my Jekyll & Hyde (which I still think is great...but this is what I was looking for) was about the best I was going to get. I wasn't unhappy, but just after reading thought " ah..hell...why not try it".

12. jeak

jeak Member

Hi, StompBox. You're most welcome. So glad you found a great pedal. I hope you'll report back here once you've tried it live.

I'm starting to kick myself for selling my Blues Pro. Bad moment of weakness. You see, I was auditioning several pedals for my Chapman Stick, which I've been playing through a high-end SS bass amp. It's really a great flat-response reference amp, but I soon learned that it's not much for real tone. After playing through some Fenders, and hearing what tubes can do for the Stick, I ordered a custom Fargen.

When the amp arrives, I expect my whole perspective on OD pedals will change. I sold the Blues Pro because I preferred the way the Timmy sounds with my SS amp. I wasn't thinking ahead. I should have kept the Pro until my tube amp arrives. This is why I plan to buy another one.

Anyway, good luck onstage.

13. Frosted Glass

Frosted Glass Member

I'm hanging for the new Crunch Box. Kinda the hi-gain version of the Blues Pro (different circuit of course). Shouldn't be too long now....hopefully?