Is the MJM Londdon Fuzz.....

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Laroosco!, Nov 18, 2005.

1. Laroosco!

Laroosco! Member

as good of a Fuzz Face as the Blues Devil is a TS?

I love the Blues Devil above all other TS style OD's(and most others types) so it's only natural that I get curious about the London.

Thanks

2. Laroosco!

Laroosco! Member

I just remembered that I owned a 2 knob Britbender about 3 years ago. That was a KILLER Fuzz

3. EL34

EL34 Silver Supporting Member

I've had a couple of Londons...very wooly sounding to my ears, even with a strat bridge pickup. Nice/smooth sounding fuzz, but very dark in tone. Sounded better at home than with the band.

Now the 2-knob Britbender....that one is a BEAST, and it cleans up very well at the guitar. The MJM Britbender is the fuzz to have IMO.

4. 1968

1968 Member

I'm not a fan of the Silicone version- but very curious about the germ version..
    * The clips on the MJM site are ******** imo- all drenched in modulation- you cant hear the true pedal..

5. Laroosco!

Laroosco! Member

The Britbender clips sound nothing like the one I had. Way too muffled sounding.

6. LReese

LReese Member

Was playing around with a few of my fuzzes, including a London Fuzz.

The LF was very dark. Have an Analog Man modded germanium (I believe) Fuzzface, which was much brighter, but very noisy.

The fuzz I like the most is a blue Fulltone '70. Relatively quiet, the brighter tone cuts a bit better.

7. Shakkal

Shakkal Member

I have the Ge London and it is indeed very bassy / dark even with a Strat's bridge pup ... it is simliar to the Jimi at Monterey tone. As mentioned by others it works great at home but I also find it hard to make it work in a live situation with anything more than a trio.

8. telemonk

telemonk Member

That was my experience. Beyond dark i also found it flabby and almost disappearing at times between the low A and E. It also fell apart on me and needed to resoldered in several places and the plastic jack fell out....Not a good experience. Without the build problems I still thought the mcFuzz kicked it's ass sonically. On the other hand i had a Foxey Fuzz that I had no issues with whatsoever and that sounded great...

9. gururyan

gururyan Member

The MJM London Fuzz finally ended my looong search for the right fuzz for me. I love it, I get the rich kazoo sound fuzz with it...perfect. With germs though, you have to remember that temperature is really going to affect it. If I leave it by the window in the winter months, I don't get the tones I desire...I like it when the germs are warm.

10. CocoTone

CocoTone Senior Member

The London is the best Fuzzface clone you can get today. Run it into a BluesDevil, or TS set for mild boost, and it is very hard to beat with a good Strat. You have got to pay attention to the vol control on the guitar tho, as it can go from awesome lead tone, to flub in a nano second. If you like Doyle Brahmall tone, Jimi tone, or Gilmore`s thick sustain with a Strat,, no contest.

CT.:cool:

11. eric-d

eric-d Member

This I find very hard to believe. Since Jimi didn't use any pedals at Monterey.... It was Strat's straight into the Marshalls...

12. basscracker

basscracker Guest

we need a gas smiley :BOUNCE .

[​IMG]

13. CocoTone

CocoTone Senior Member

Cuz you were there right?? Fuzzface fersur!! I wish you`d check your facts before engaging your keyboard.

CT.

14. eric-d

eric-d Member

Really??? I need to watch the video again... It's been a couple of years but I could have sworn I didn't see any pedals... Hmmm... Sorry about that...

15. gururyan

gururyan Member

Where? Who? What? How?....tell me more about your small LF!
    What's the 3rd knob?

I may rehouse my LF, it's just so freakin' big.

16. basscracker

basscracker Guest

not mine :( ,they can be purchased direct from MJM.bias knob like on the analogman sunface.

17. gururyan

gururyan Member

18. basscracker

basscracker Guest

sorry its not listed on the site.email them about it.Michael said he would make me one for a resonable upcharge.no cash for it right now :( .

19. gururyan

gururyan Member

Thanks, I just sent him an email.

20. gururyan

gururyan Member

Shoot, he says mine has a larger board so it wouldn't be possible to rehouse it for me. He did extend an offer to build me a "mini" with the bias knob added for a very small fee on top of the regular price though.

Shoot. I guess I will have to sell my LF and "re-buy" it as a mini if I want to do this.

He was very prompt in his reply though, very nice sounding guy.