Is the Mod Zero still one of the better multi mods?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by longgonedaddy, Apr 21, 2020.

1. longgonedaddy

longgonedaddy Supporting Member

I’m looking for a new multi mod to fill mostly chorus/flanger holes, anything else is a nice bonus. I’m not an analog fanatic, nor do I hate digital, but the Mod Zero was always on my radar, but one for sale, and my free cash never seems to coincide.

it seems to tick off most, if not all, of my boxes—great sound, through zero/tape flanging, regular flanging too. Normal sized box. Another flavor of vibrato to complement the others I have. Most importantly, simple operation as I’m not a fan of menus and cumbersome switching between effects.

so, anyone still rockin one of these? How is it holding up against newer offerings?

And if anyone has one for sale, I’m sure you know what to do.

2. PhuzzphayzZ

PhuzzphayzZ Member

You haaad to bring up Unobtanium...

and here I was nursing this burning sensation in my wallet... mm mm mm,lol!

3. longgonedaddy

yeah, get in line :cool:

4. roquero

roquero Bold Supporting Member Silver Supporting Member

Still have mine. Love the Vibrato on it and I can even get a faux Leslie sound with it.

drifterphase likes this.
  5. Mick_Braun

Mick_Braun Silver Supporting Member

Had one, *loved* the flanger settings but recall not being able to dial in a chorus sound that I liked. That was probably just me - all of Jack's stuff is killer and it's a quality pedal. Never really tried vibrato settings. Just my .02, YMMV

6. longgonedaddy

thanks guys! I found one on Reverb.com, so I pulled the trigger.

Mick, I’m going to use primarily for flanger, so your take is good to hear. And Roquero, I’m always looking for a new flavor of vibrato, so I’m looking forward to this one.

Mick_Braun likes this.
  7. Mick_Braun

Mick_Braun Silver Supporting Member

That’s awesome. This stuff is so subjective, you may really dig the chorus side! I’m better at not flipping pedals so fast now, probably didn’t spend much time with it. Let us know what you think!

8. longgonedaddy

you’re absolutely right about subjectivity, but from the samples I’ve heard, the flanger is exactly what I’m looking for. If the rest are good enough, I’m set as this will complete my modulation section.

And I will definitely report back. I’m hoping I get it Saturday. Seller is only a few hours from me, and says he’s going to ship tomorrow.

Mick_Braun likes this.
  9. your name here

your name here Supporting Member

Good luck if it breaks, though. The last person I saw that posted about having one in need of repair couldn’t get it fixed through Mr. Black.

10. longgonedaddy

wow, it didn’t even ship yet, and you already took my joy. Jerk.

11. PhuzzphayzZ

PhuzzphayzZ Member

there's still one there... please let us know how you like it when it comes!

12. jwny72

jwny72 Member

I went on a flanger quest some years ago during which I bought and flipped too many flangers. This was one of them. It was a great sounding pedal, but I had volume drop issues in settings I liked, even with the volume knob topped out.

13. longgonedaddy

Got it today, initial thoughts:

lots of flanger sounds, all somewhat subtle, but that’s ok with me
    Chorus/vibrato side perfect my my secondary use.
    Crazy loud hissing when engaged, with three different power supplies plus a battery. Noticeable on single string runs, covered up by chords. I’m running it in front, wonder if quieter in a loop, but I don’t have a loop

Overall, quick first impression, it would be perfect for me, minus the hissing.

Anyone know what the trim pot does?