Is THE most 'amp like' trem pedal the Effectrode Deltra Trem?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Axe-Man, Jan 28, 2012.

1. Axe-Man

Axe-Man Member

I've checked out a few trems and currently own the Empress Pentavocal (which is a great trem) but from vids I've watched it seems like the Effectrode is the most 'realistic' trem...that I've personally come across.

I'm not looking for tap tempo, multiple patterns etc etc etc just a killer, natural, warm throb that sounds like an great amp trem...but in a pedal.

Would users of the Effectrode feel it meets this standard?

I just want a simple to use amp like trem and price isn't really a factor...as long as it truely sounds 'amp like'. Many trem pedals and their demos sound very good but don't necessarily sound like an amp trem to me personally.

2. 66Park

66Park Member

I don't have a Delta Trem, but it sure sounds great in the demos. Two that I have that I think pass the realism test are the Demeter Tremulator and the Diamond. Don't let me talk you out of the Delta Trem, though. I'd love to try one myself. I have an Effectrode Compressor, and I'm very impressed with the Effectrode line in general, particularly the Delta Trem.

3. tonewave

tonewave Member

the vibutron is damn close to amp trem
    great sounding trem,
    so far I haven't heard better in a pedal
    ...off to hear effectrode demos....

4. TheRiotTapes

TheRiotTapes Senior Member

To be clear, lot's of amps trems sound very different. If the question is, does the effectrode sound amazing, then absolutely, it sounds BETTER than many amp's trems... but it's not gonna sound exactly like all amps trems, cause they vary wildly, even on amps...

If it sounds good, get it, it's a quality piece of kit!

aman74 likes this.
  5. chervokas

chervokas Member

Exactly, I have no personal experience with the Delta trem but there are so many different amplifier trem circuits -- power tube bias modulating trem, preamp tube bias modulating trem, photocell trem -- some with softer sine wave shapes, some with choppier triangle wave shapes....that there's really no such thing as the most "amp like" trem pedal. You need to ask -- which amp? No pedal is quite responds like power tube bias modulating tremolo; but that's a rare circuit on amps. Most photocell based trem pedals sound pretty good to me, often "better" than the famous BF photocell amp trems, and they usually offer lots of broader options than amp trems. I use the Supa Trem and while I might like the preamp tube bias trem on my SF Vibro Champ better, I like the Supa Trem better than the the optoisolator trem on my '66 Bandmaster.

6. ruger9

ruger9 Supporting Member

I have always wanted a DT, but price has stopped me. I know it's a great piece of gear, but I just can't pay 4 bills for a tremolo pedal. The emos are some of the best I've ever heard.

As far as other choices, the trem that is the closest to power-tube-bias amp trem (which is my favorite type of trem), imo, is the Swamp Thang, especially the older versions. I have yet to find a trem that can match it... EXCEPT for the Malekko trem, it's amazing, sorry I sold that one.

7. 4nd3h

4nd3h Member

Depends on which amp's trem!

8. Axe-Man

Axe-Man Member

I'm trying to ape that classic Fender lamp trem.

The Effectrode was the only trem in the running but I just realised that Simon of Kingsley fame was considering making a trem so I dropped him an email...Simon may be in a position soon to proto one so...if he has some free time and I'm lucky...

Simons pedals are by a huge margin the favourite units I've ever personally played and I don't think I will ever be going back to ss pedals again (for gain/drive etc)...if that magic was applied to a trem, I think I'd be more than happy with the result.

9. chillytc

chillytc Member

The Fulltone Supa Trem sounds better than amp trem on a couple of amps I've owned.

10. TheRiotTapes

TheRiotTapes Senior Member

BTW: I think if you really like trem, the only way forward is at least two trem pedals, an "amp-like" one and a more creative one... I tend to use my amp's and also have a Tap-A-Whirl, which is very different, but ... once you start writing with access to trem, well it's addictive!

11. 4nd3h

4nd3h Member

Have you looked at the C-Bread Pareidolia?

12. ruger9

ruger9 Supporting Member

if you want "lamp trem" look for ones using an opto circuit, Supatrem, Demeter, Voodoo Labs, there's a ton of others. FWIW, the Delta also uses an opto circuit, but it's not quite the same thing since it's driven by tubes.

Personally, I'm not a fan of opto, but I (personally) would still consider the Delta, take that for what's it's worth.

Last edited: Jan 29, 2012
  13. gmann

gmann Member

I'm partial to the Demeter Trem. I got one fm the early/mid '90's and have never thought about getting another one. It does the Fender Trem perfectly. That's all it does as it's not as fancy as alot of the others out there but if it's Fender Trem you want, look no further.

14. 100JH

100JH Member

I own a Delta Trem and love it. Never selling it or using anything else. You won't look back if you get one.

15. mischultz

mischultz Member

The Guyatone Flip is a real sleeper.

16. MHG

MHG Member

17. scotty31

scotty31 Supporting Member

Ive had some great amp-like Trems over the years
    Frantone, Supatrem, Guyatone VTX, Sherlock Tremit.
    The Delta is by far the best of them.

Kriig and MHG like this.
  18. morgan918

morgan918 Member

I think trem is really tough. For years I used a Keeley modded TR-2 after going through several mentioned in this thread. It was only kicked off the board by my Strymon Flint (which I use mostly for the harmonic trem these days, but the other settings are good too).

19. Bucksears

Bucksears Silver Supporting Member

1776 effects' Cardinal Tremolo optical mode beat out my Super Reverb RI's tremolo.
    FWIW, they sound nearly identical, but the Cardinal doesn't have the 'chirp'/blip sound and a little more flexibility due to the wave control.

20. Able Grip

Able Grip Member

The 4 knob Voodoo Lab Trem is an actual old amp trem circuit. I have had one for a very long time, and it is really nice. It has a blend knob which is good to have. It has a shape knob, speed knob and a volume knob. I use it all the time with the pedal on but no trem for its tonal mojo.