Is the Nobels ODR-1 a clone of another OD?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by DanHorse, Jan 24, 2012.

1. DanHorse

DanHorse Member

The reason i ask is that I love the tone of the Nobels, but i cant keep it on my board as it sucks tone BADLY on my board.

So, what clone is it of? (if it is one), or, is there another OD out the with the same flavour, i.e. tight, warm, smooth but still really articulate?

2. NHBluesMan

NHBluesMan Member

not sure if it's a clone, but you could get it modded for true-bypass to help with the tone suck

3. drbob1

drbob1 Silver Supporting Member

Actually, if you're not really hurting for space on your board, just buy or build a true bypass looper and leave the pedal on using the looper to bring it in/out of the circuit. You can fit them in a really small box if you're only using one loop...

4. Skreddy

Skreddy Supporting Member

It's kinda like a Tube Screamer, but it has both soft clipping and hard clipping and a LOT more going on with filters and such (the schematic reminds of of Klon in some places). I haven't seen another design that does exactly what the Nobels does, but it's not terribly, outrageously unique either--just well-tuned. And lotsa buffers. I'm surprised it's a tone suck, frankly.

5. DanHorse

DanHorse Member

Yeah I dont know why, maybe quality of components? it was built down to a price after all. I do love it, does a warm, low gain malty-ness i love. Can be a noisy bugger too though.

Thanks for your suggestions and info guys, i was indeed considering putting that and one or two others in a loop.....hmm

6. drolling

drolling Member

I've got an old green one, and have found it no noisier than, say, a BOSS OD. The buffering's similar, too - it's not been an issue for me

But I've read the QC's kinda spotty on these, so it's just possible yours is defective

If drbob's suggestion about looping it doesn't appeal to you, there are at least two builders doing ODR-1 clones that are true-bypassed & made with higher grade components, etc.

But I paid 39 dollars for mine, and the booteek versions are at least 4 times the price

7. DanHorse

DanHorse Member

hmm i love it so much, a higher grade version would be tempting. who does the clones?

8. roknfnrol

roknfnrol Silver Supporting Member

You might try the Chicken Soup.

9. DanHorse

DanHorse Member

yeah that sounds the ticket mate! will have to ponder this...