Is the OCD "Honeymoon" officially over?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by SuperReverb2, Sep 22, 2005.

1. SuperReverb2

SuperReverb2 Member

No fewer than 4 for sale in the Pedals and Everything Else Emporium, and it looks like 3 for sale in the FDP Classifieds at the same time. I realize that there's LOT'S out there, but I can't remember the last time I saw 7 different listings (of the same pedal) all at once.

Coincidence, or is this just the beginning?

Certainly makes it a buyers market though, as it looks like the only one that sold went for $130.00. (slightly surprised at that, as I thought they might hold their value a little longer)

Not that great of a pedal after all, or is it due to the fact that there seems to be SO MANY great pedals to choose from these days?

Curious.......

Chuck

2. Nathan

Nathan Member

Yes and yes. I thought they held their value for quite a while, but you know, live & learn: this is the market of boutique pedals. In particular, Fulltone is one of the very first to start this movement. He has a huge following and truly excellent products for the most part. But IMHO, yeah, the honeymoon's over.

3. sanhozay

sanhozay klon free since 2009

I think it's a great pedal, especially with humbuckers. And with a Strat it's totally Jimi. I likey.

People like to try stuff out. I wouldn't be surprised if they come back to the OCD.

4. Occam

Occam Member

Yeah it's probably over but I still love mine for what it's worth. I don't see myself selling it. It may not stay my number 1 for years and years but so far it really seems to love my flying v's and Matamp combination but like all pieces of gear you never know when something new will take its place.

5. SuperReverb2

SuperReverb2 Member

Yeah, it is a GREAT pedal, and certainly my favorite Fulltone pedal to date. I've tried MANY others lately, but for some reason I keep coming back to the OCD. I certainly like it more through my 57 Tweed Twin than through the Blackface style amps I've tried it with, as the high can sound a little "unnatural" with an amp that already has some 'sparkle" to it. It definitely the best pedal I've used with my humbucker equipped guitars as well.
    I had actually toyed with the idea of selling my OCD lately, (NOT SPAM) but this current selling "frenzy" most likely put an end to that idea as I'm quite sure that price will continue to drop as more and more become avaialble. Besides, it will most likely turn out to be a blessing in disguise, because as soon as I sell it I'll most likely want it back again.
    I wonder if this currently selling "frenzy" has anything to do with the soon to be released Mosfett FDII? (making room on the olde pedal board for the NEW pedal?)

Chuck

6. Bryan T

Bryan T Guitar Owner Silver Supporting Member

I just got one a few days ago, so my honeymoon has just started. It took my local dealer a very long time to get restocked after their initial order sold out. I went back and tried the pedal three different times before buying it, as I wanted to make sure it was what I was looking for. I like it a lot for rhythm playing, not as much for lead playing. It does seem to be changing what I play, which is always a nice thing for a piece of gear to do.

I did think that the $130 used price I saw on the pedal was a great deal for a pedal as nice as this. Someone got a bargain.

Bryan

7. bullet69

bullet69 Member

still own it ,still like it , not selling it ,

8. ned911

ned911 Member

I'm on a second honeymoon with mine :)

9. Lefty

Lefty Member

It's a cool box. I like to keep it around for comparison purposes. Kind of like why I keep my FD2 even though it doesn't get used. When I get a new box I like to A/B boxes to help "refresh" my ears. Maybe remind me of how much better this one sounds over that one. And you'll never know when it may nail a certian sound your looking for.

10. dosmun

dosmun Member

Too much hype. It is a good pedal but not the end all OD that everyone wanted to believe it was going to be.

11. Lefty

Lefty Member

No such thing as the end all be all :dude

12. dosmun

dosmun Member

Exactly

13. WailinGuy

WailinGuy Member

I still like mine a lot and use it more than any other overdrive. It may not be perfect, but in terms of dynamics/touch sensitivity, it has just about everything else beat. This is even more the case if you run it at 18VDC. It has an amp-like "feel" to it which is very nice.

That said, I do think the OCD can be somewhat lacking in midrange response, at least when used with Fender blackface amps. This is especially evident when using the LP mode. Even in HP mode, which significantly boosts the upper mids, there probably should still be a bit more response in the lower-to-middle midrange area.

For those that aren't afraid of using a soldering iron, I highly recommend experimenting with changing the value and/or type of the output cap on the OCD circuit board. The stock cap is a 2.2uF electrolytic which is not gooped and resides near the top right corner of the circuit board when looking at it from the underside of the pedal. (Shortly after the OCD became available, Mike Fuller made this info available in response to a request to reduce bass response, so apparently he doesn't mind people doing this mod.)

To get more mids, you might want to replace the cap with a 3.3uF or a 4.7uF. The larger values seem to boost the mids without seeming to significantly affect the (already ample) lows. You might also want to try using a tantalum cap instead of electrolytic, for a clearer tone a quicker response (some may like it, others may not.) I currently have a 3.3uF tantalum in mine. I'm thinking of adding another .47 or 1.0 cap in parallel, upping the total capacitance to 3.77 or 4.3, for just a bit more midrange oomph. (Be careful, if you go too high, it will muddy the tone.)

If you (or friend) have the electronic skills, think about trying this mod out before giving up on the OCD.

14. sstweed

sstweed Supporting Member

I sold my OCD but frankly I still think it is a great pedal. It had the amp-like feel in spades, second only to a Blackstone in dynamics IMO. It just didn't sound that great with my stuff. If it had more tonal flexibility, I think other pedal makers would get worried. Those great dynamics coupled with the tonal flexibilty to mate up to any rig? I think that would make it THE pedal. But for me the HP mode was too much, and the LP mode was too "somethings funky in the midrange" ish. I have soldering skills but hacking into a new and at the time expensive pedal doesn't thrill me too much. Especially with no gaurantee that I won't still want to sell it when I am done. Mike should add some trimmers, add some of those little knobs on top like the Distortion Pro had, something. That pedal is only lacking flexibility to becoming great. Someone will clone the OCD soon, and they will add these tone altering features, and then watchout!

15. David-R

David-R Supporting Member

Yes.

I sold mine after picking up a Zendrive. Transparency and amp-like response of the OCD were outweighed by the tone, flexibility and sustain of the Zendrive.

16. bluesdoc

bluesdoc Gold Supporting Member Gold Supporting Member

Both of my Hermida pedals (Zen and Mos) have antiquated all my other 'favorite' lead pedals. I haven't sold it yet, but it's gathering dust........... :rolleyes:

jon

17. Guy from Idaho

Guy from Idaho Member

...and I got an annullment :p

18. DerekMinnich

DerekMinnich Member

The reason there are so many for sale is because of the initial hype. Not that it's a bad thing. Mike Fuller does a great job of marketing his products, sometimes, his products seem like they are magical because he's such a damn good player, and he really knows what sound to use in what situation. A lot of people claimed those first few shipments, no real reviews out there except for the "man this pedal sounds great." After a while a lot of people realize "hey, this is cool but not for me" and they move on. There are quite a few out there and a lot of people buy stuff just to see if it works for them. Eventually sales on that product will slow down some, pedals will trade hands (many landing in peoples hands that really like it and will use it), and you won't see so many for sale at once. Thats just the nature of the beast.

19. dave s

dave s Member

I just bought one in used (probably new) condition. Sadly, didn't get it for the buck thirty price I saw, but for me it's always a day late and in this case, $10 short!

Great pedal that'll work in my rig and probably find a permanent home on the pedal board.

dave

20. Johnny Raz

Johnny Raz Member

Still have mine, and the honeymoon is over; I even got a compliment on my tone in last week's rehearsal!