1. The Gear Page is run by musicians for musicians. We listen, we learn and if we misstep we are not afraid to do the right thing. We proposed some changes to the Emporiums. Based on feedback from members, we have decided to not go ahead with those changes. However, it has also highlighted that we need some community input into what is working and what is not working for members here. Primarily focused on the Emporiums, we'd like input on your thoughts about TGP and how things work in the Emporiums for you and how you'd improve them. The discussion thread on the is here!

Dismiss Notice

is the only way to get good delay&chorus?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by neastguy, Oct 9, 2006.

1. neastguy

neastguy Supporting Member

by using an effects loop or using a clean amp and the OD out front followed by the delay and chorus pedals before hitting the amp?

I love my amp but it takes a tad away from it when I use the loop.. dont want a wetdry rig and I love the amps natural OD.... what to do?:confused:

2. nashvillesteve

nashvillesteve Member

The classic kind of chorus + delay into a clean amp sound requires a clean amp if that's what you're going for. I don't mind the Deluxe Memory Man (which adds chorus) into an overdriven amp, but if you want the clean one, you're either going to have to use a wet/dry rig if you want your amp's OD or a clean amp and a switcher to swap between OD pedals and the chorus/delay.

If you had a multichannel amp, you could set one clean and the other overdriven, but if it's non-master volume, you'd need two amps to get amp OD and clean tone at the same volume level (plus you could use both simultaneously).

WOBO Guitar Electronics (search "WOBO ebay" to find their webstore with product info) makes some relay based switchers that can switch between two loops with one stomp, they also have an analog programmable switcher for $320 that can change amp channels/reverb. You could also use that last feature to trigger a ToneBone head switcher if you had a clean amp and dirty amp going, so when you switched from your overdriven amp sound to the chorus/delay sound, you could set it to also switch to your clean amp... You cant use both at the same time that way and layer them, though. You could still use one of the other switches to use the chorus or delay pedals through your overdriven amp.

3. thesedaze

thesedaze Member

I was in the same exact dilemma as you! I prefer my delay in the loop, but the loop always naturally took away from the fidelity of the preamp even with the mix knob.

When I had the mix knob all the way to the preamp side to keep the solid attack of the preamp in there, the effect was minimal, even cranked.

Solution:

I stuck my Siegmund Missing Link boost pedal at the front of the loop, before the delay and reverb.

ie. Effects Loop Send -> Missing Link -> Deluxe Memory Man -> LXP-1 -> Effects Loop Return

I keep the loop mix knob still all the way on the preamp side, but with the added tube boost in there, the effects are much more present....Sounds like a wet dry rig all in one simple setup.

If you don't go for the Missing Link, I recommend some other tube based boost...Not only will it maintain the amp's integrity, but it'll actually warm up any digital effects you might have in your loop (I run a Lexicon LXP-1 for reverb).

4. nashvillesteve

nashvillesteve Member

Or if you can do what thesedaze suggested and make the sound through the loop better, that would work, too. My amps don't have effects loops, so I'm left with the solutions from my post!

5. neastguy

neastguy Supporting Member

do all loops blow? or are theyre amps made that deliver nice OD and have a loop that doesnt diminish the output of the amp.... mine is so close, but it just takes away enough of the oomph to nag at me a bit... I guess I should just forget about it and play on... I like my setup to be as simple as possible but I need just delay and chorus... thats it....

6. thesedaze

thesedaze Member

It's the nature of a loop...No reason to forget about it if you add a simple boost in there...the effects will be as normal, and the preamp will be as normal. no sacrifice at all. It's basically what the whole 'dumbleator' thing was about.

7. gkelm

gkelm Supporting Member

That's cool. Had no idea something like that existed. Although certainly not cheap.

Greg

8. thesedaze

thesedaze Member

I used to keep it in front of the amp, using it as a regular boost to kick my single channel amp into overdrive.

I've got one of his MicroTube DoubleDrive's on order now, so that'll take over for those duties.

9. danbomb

danbomb Member

The only way I ever really got around this was by using a Womanizer in the middle of my pedalboard. I have a homebrew plexi and could never get anything to match the sound straight in with jumpered inputs. I A/B'd and got the Womanizer to sound real close to the actual preamp. Now I got my killer AC/DC plex tone and a over the top crunch tone right at my feet. The great thing about this setup is that I have an ISP Decimator between the Womanizer and the delay allowing for silence of noise and tons of repeats on the delay. I also have the benefit of keeping my wah, mojovibe, and octavia pedals before the preamp.

10. radcliff

radcliff Member

I find a "little bit" of Power Tube grit hasn't made my Chorus or Delay sound bad, but a preamp "gain channel" after delay and chorus....that aint right.