Is the plimsoul better suited for low gain?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Rock Steady, Feb 28, 2012.

1. Rock Steady

Rock Steady Member

The pedal has a strange hiss/ harshness when the notes ring out that I cant seem to dial out. It doesnt seem to sound good to my ears low gain or when the knobs are cranked. I guess its not for me I dunno. On top of that its just not very natural, it sounds fake if that makes sense. Anyways, how are you guys using it? I noticed it sounds decent as a lead for soloing etc, but as soon as you strum a chord it sounds like crap

2. chrismellotron

chrismellotron Member

My usual chain is Mini Deja-vibe (stereo)>Plimsoul>TCE Flashback (delay)>TCE Hall Of Fame (reverb). I generally play a '62 Gibson SG into a Fender Twin Reverb or Bandmaster (both 1965). The Plimsoul is dead quiet and gives me that Paul Kossoff "Free Live" sound. Maybe a Who "Live At Leeds" sound (without that fuzz). It's pretty wooly in the 2nd gain stage, so I dial it back until I get it noise-free. Should be enough smooth gain on tap without fizz or harshness while a note decays.

It could be your cables, grounding of your amp, or in fact something in the pedal. My Plimsoul is very quiet, smooth and has a wonderful sustain. It'll never leave my chain. Recently added an EQD Hoof fuzz before the Plimsoul and they stack very well. They both have comparably LOUD output levels. Dial back your level knob on the Plimsoul to match your clean bypassed signal which might reduce noise to.

Don't feel bad. I have a '65 Fender Deluxe Reverb (that is getting noisy and tone-sucking itself) that I don't have the funds to cope with at the moment. I would rather buy new fuzz pedals. BTW, the Hoof is an extremely LOUD and extremely QUIET fuzz at the same friggin' time. Very polite and very tweakable, albeit a lower gain Muff style fuzz. Very usable in a band situation. Just me sayin'.

3. sanhozay

sanhozay klon free since 2009

where, when, what have you used your plimsoul with that brought you to this conclusion?

4. chrismellotron

chrismellotron Member

Plus, the EQD Hoof is INSANELY articulate with chords, especially at brighter tone settings! I personally couldn't believe how well suspended chords projected through the Hoof. The Plimsoul I have is great with chords too. The humbuckers on my SG are moderately high-gain and quiet. It could be just something going on in the pedal itself.

5. Stratoben127

Stratoben127 Member

My Plimsoul was used as either a Marshall-esque sound with my Strat or a Soldano-esque sound with my Les Paul. For lower gain stuff, I used a Fulldrive 2. The Imao was near the end of the chain later on so it would react more like an amp. It was too muddy for me and wasn't dynamic enough so when I got my Catalinbread DLS MkII, the Plimsoul was off the board and that was my always on pedal and now I use my Fulldrive as a clean boost into it.

6. chrismellotron

chrismellotron Member

Generally, I initially crank the sustain and hi-cut all the way, then dial back until the fizzy noise goes away. I find that around the 75% or 3 o'clock range is both quiet and plenty-on-tap for those two knobs. The tiny gain-stage knob (which should be just another smooth-dailing big-knob like the others IMHO) I dial similarly, sometimes with even less gain, depending on my mood and amp volume. Sometimes, I tweak the hi-cut a little darker, but the sustain is mainly at 75%.

7. chrismellotron

chrismellotron Member

It's true that the Plimsoul is a darker, wooly OD/Distorton and can get 'muddy' at lower hi-cut settings. I love the sustain.

8. chrismellotron

chrismellotron Member

I have changed my Plimsoul settings to better stack with my EQD Hoof. Plimsoul is mainly rhythm now, my Hoof is boosted fuzztone leads.

Level @ 11 o'clock
    Sustain @ 1 or 2 o'clock
    Hi-Cut @ 3 or 4 o'clock
    Stage 2 (Little knob) @ 8 or 9 o'clock...no stage 2 hard-clipping

Now the Plimsoul is at a decent OD rhythm/occasional lead mode with good buttery sustain and wooly drive. It makes a real good host for my fuzzes. I discovered this when I stacked it with my NYC Big Muff and thought, "Damn, that Muff sounds real good!" Then, I grabbed the Hoof and thought, "Holy King Crimson! Infinite intermodulating GRM sustain!!!" I grabbed my EQD Dirt Transmitter and thought "Yes, a beefy ballsy tweakable Fuzz Face with infinite sustain!!"

That's my testimony to the fairly decent (but far from Holy Grail) Plimsoul. I'll surely be using it for a while.

9. wundergussy

wundergussy Member

OP - I had the same experience; it's why I ultimately got rid of it.