Is the Port City 1x12 Wave cab "boomy" at bedroom volumes?

Might possibly be trading my Morgan 1x12 open back cab for a Port City 1x12 Wave cab. I really like that the cab is so compact but claims to have a good bass response.

The guy with the cab was being honest with me and said he feels the cab might be a little "boomy" sounding at lower volumes/bedroom playing?

Has anyone found this to be true/ a problem? I like the sound of my Morgan cab but I want something more compact and the Port City would match my head better.

Veritas

Gold Supporting Member
The Port City cabs sound really nice. I have a Morgan 1x12 cab and it sounds fabulous, but if I wanted a smaller, compact cab, then I wouldn't hesitate to get a Port City.

The Port City cabs sound really nice. I have a Morgan 1x12 cab and it sounds fabulous, but if I wanted a smaller, compact cab, then I wouldn't hesitate to get a Port City.
So the bass port doesn't make it sound boomy or too direct at lower volumes? I don't want a cab that only sounds good when you are standing in front of it.

Bluewail

Tone curmudgeon
Gold Supporting Member
I have one and the port is fairly directional. In a small room if you sit/stand right in the "beam" of the port it can sound a bit boomy. Move out of the beam and you're good to go. Great sounding cab IMHO.

moosewayne

Silver Supporting Member
Never found Port City cabs to be 'boomy', just focused and clear.
Best cabs out there and my 2X12 OS is the ONLY piece of gear I've ever regretted selling.

zpicker

Silver Supporting Member
I played the port city 1x12 cab with my morgan and thought it was stunning! I never once considered the thought that it could be "boomy". Mine was loaded with a blue and i specifically put it in that cab because i thought that a ported closed back would add a tad of bass response without hurting the creamy mids or sparkly highs.

I was right...

you wont regret the move. port city cabs are in a league of their own.

Kitten Cannon

It's basically the best cab ever. I've had a 1x12 and a 2x12 - just sold the 1x12 (boohoo) but it's making space for a Jackson that just landed which is pretty similar.

Trending Topics