Is the RME 400 overkill for me?

Discussion in 'Recording/Live Sound' started by sean1017, Apr 24, 2008.

1. sean1017

sean1017 Member

I was having issues with my firebox which caused me to be in the market for a new interface. Upon doing my research I figured if i'm going to spend $500 on something decent but probably won't hold value very well, i might as well get something a bit more professional and will hold value. So I ended up purchasing the RME 400 which is quite an incredible piece of gear...​

that said, i was able to figure out what was wrong with my firebox and so now i'm a little torn on what to do. ​

One one hand, i love the RME and would love to keep it but it is $1100 that techincally I don't NEED to spend right now (since I was able to get my firebox working again). Additionally, my best mic is an AKG C2000B, I monitor through KRK5s, and I rarely record more than 1 or 2 inputs at the same time...and I wouldn't really use any of the other cool routing features it has...at least to the point they can be used. So all those reasons make me think that the 400 is overkill for me. ​

On the other hand, this could be the building block for taking my project studio to the next level...and it's just plain cool and I'd like to keep it. ​

Any advice?​

p.s. keep in mind, i'll also be buying a mesa boogie combo at some point in the very near future and my budget isn't endless so that's why I'm thinking the RME 400 may have to go back :-(​