Is the Shiva 20th anniversary just a metal amp?

keith_t4e

Wow!! I know that is your opinion and that is respected, BUT I believe you are in the minority so much so that you would be worthy of reparations. You might think about grabbing you microcube under your arm and go down to the music store that has a 20th shiva and A/B it and don't forget to pass by walmart and get some Qtips to clean all that wax out your ears because you are stopped up if those two sound the same. :horse
Respected, I don't respect that opinion. I ordered the new Shiva and I have a PT100, JCM800 & Soldano Avenger. That is how much I liked the new Shiva. Yew, Songman is the minority on this one anyway.

Songman

Respected, I don't respect that opinion. I ordered the new Shiva and I have a PT100, JCM800 & Soldano Avenger. That is how much I liked the new Shiva. Yew, Songman is the minority on this one anyway.
DUDE!!! Have you even played Micro Cube??? The half stack mode is killer! It even runs off battery! Just mic the cube and 90% of audience won't even know the difference between your PCB made Shiva and my PCB made MC.:rotflmao

green72

I highly doubt Songman has ever been anywhere near a Shiva, however, it's obvious he can type with his buttcheeks while playing with his Micro.:dude

MightyGuru

I had a 01 Shiva and now I have the 20th.

The old Shiva is definitely in there, although I thought the 01 sounded great with V30's, the 20th one I did NOT. Brittle, too bright, lacked in mids.

I'm running an eminence wizard and swamp thang, sounds awesome.

Other than not liking it with V30's, it's everything I've loved about the old Shiva and more. Loving it more everyday.
The clean has a nice bouncy feeling to it, and is more Fendery than before.

The gain channel is just sick. I can hear and feel the clean inside all the distortion, and the sustain is fantastic. You can get gritty/bluesy or shred. You know when guys refer to gain as "harmonic and complex"? The definition of that is all about the gain channel of the 20th. It'll even get you some Dumblish tones. Not kidding.

Best amp I've owned. If I wind up not being satisfied with this, I'm giving up electric and going acoustic, because I can't imagine what I'm supposed to be liking better.
Yeah, man. The sustain is incredible. Great tones from country kleen to drop dead shred.

green72

You got any clips with that combination? Would be interesting to hear how that sounds.
yeah, I only uploaded this one because you asked...;)

Sucky wanking after a few beers late at night, not recorded well, the amp was at bedroom volume.
Sennhieser 906 on the Swamp, SM 57 in the port in the back.

I have had zero time to do any decent stuff lately, sucks.

Anyway, excuses, excuses, here it is with my Keefstyle MIM Tele.

http://soundclick.com/share?songid=8251184

green72

You guys should try this for a Dumblish thang on the Drive channel.

Set in vintage mode.

Bass 2 oclock or higher,
Mid 11-12 oclock
Treble 8-9 oclock.
Gain 2 or higher.

very smooth. I love this setting.

green72

That sounds pretty good for low volume! Now it would be nice to hear Wizard in comparison!

Thanks for taking the time to give us clips! Testing different speaker combinations is rather difficult here in Scandinavia since music stores don't usually have anything in stock... :(
The Wizard has more top end than the swamp, the swamp is warmer and bassier. I doubt you could go wrong with running just Swamp Thangs if you really wanted to tame the brightness.

The Eminence website has a really good clips section for comparing speakers.

MightyGuru

You guys should try this for a Dumblish thang on the Drive channel.

Set in vintage mode.

Bass 2 oclock or higher,
Mid 11-12 oclock
Treble 8-9 oclock.
Gain 2 or higher.

very smooth. I love this setting.

Those are nearly identical to my settings.

JeKo

The Wizard has more top end than the swamp, the swamp is warmer and bassier. I doubt you could go wrong with running just Swamp Thangs if you really wanted to tame the brightness.

The Eminence website has a really good clips section for comparing speakers.

Thanks. I listened the samples and liked the swamp, wizard, texas heat and cannabis rex the best. With the Swamp, can you open the treble much more than with V30's? Is the Swamp too bassy?

E: On the clip page, the Wizard sounds quite bright. Sonically, is it close to V30?

Last edited by a moderator:

green72

Thanks. I listened the samples and liked the swamp, wizard, texas heat and cannabis rex the best. With the Swamp, can you open the treble much more than with V30's? Is the Swamp too bassy?

E: On the clip page, the Wizard sounds quite bright. Sonically, is it close to V30?
Swamp has a great low end. Not too bassy or flubby.

The Wizard is more even across the frequency spectrum than the V30 through the 20th IMO. The mids were more pronounced through the Wizard.

Alex_S

Hi,

now I'm able to answer my own question as I had the chance to
play a 20th Anniversary Shiva: it is not a pure metal amp. Actually
it is very very versatile. I like it really a lot. A bit more rock attitude
than the old Shiva imho but still absolutely capable of blues and rock
tones. But additionally it really rocks in the hard rock / heavy area.
Great fun to play! I really love this amp. Wow, sounds like GAS to me ;-)

Best regards
Alex

se7en

yeah, I only uploaded this one because you asked...;)

Sucky wanking after a few beers late at night, not recorded well, the amp was at bedroom volume.
Sennhieser 906 on the Swamp, SM 57 in the port in the back.

I have had zero time to do any decent stuff lately, sucks.

Anyway, excuses, excuses, here it is with my Keefstyle MIM Tele.

http://soundclick.com/share?songid=8251184
Sounds good man! Good job recording. Does it sound much different in the modern mode?

Trending Topics