Is the Taylor T5z the only rockin' hybrid

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Newfie, Apr 16, 2015.

1. Newfie

Newfie Member

Hi there,

I'm looking for an acoustic that:

• plays like an electric, neck style and feel
    • sounds good when played unplugged (doesn't have to be loud, but louder than say a solid body electric when played unplugged)
      • so it might have a hollow body for a decent acoustic sound
    • has both acoustic and electric pickups so I can quickly go from one to the other when plugged into an amp
    I know the Tayloe T5z probably fits the bill, but it costs too many bills for me. ;-)

Other options I've run across are the Crafter SA/SAT, Godin A6, Fender Telecoustic/Stratacoustic, Ibanez EP5.

I'm coming from a guy who mostly strums and sings, but wants to develop my soloing/improvisation skills (learning scales, etc., late in life) to be able to jam with my buddies. This way I can just pull out the guitar around the house, practice and not drive the rest of the family crazy.

I do have an electric, but I'd like to find what I'm after in one guitar.

Thanks in advance,
    Newfie

2. MartinC

MartinC Member

Bit late for a reply, but noticed this thread (I'm researching the T5Z myself).

A Line 6 Variax would do everything you want, with the exception of sounding louder than a solidbody electric when unplugged, as they are solidbody electrics.

There are a range of models and price points, from reasonably cheap to very expensive for a James Tyler US made model (a true boutique guitar with the Line 6 electronics inside), in LP, Strat and Super Strat Strat type guises.

You'd actually get way more than you need ... models of a wide range of electric and acoustic instruments, plus a regular electric with magnetic pickups. Plus switchable tunings (eg switch from standard tuning to open G without having to actually re-tune).

You could solve the lack of unplgged volume with one of the plethora of small desk top amps available thesedays from Yamaha, Line 6, Blackstar, Fender, etc.

3. 27sauce

27sauce Supporting Member

Hamer made these back in the 90's.
    [​IMG]

4. Newfie

Newfie Member

Late to reply as well ... ;-)
    I bought a used Crafter SAT, sight unseen, BIG mistake ... frets were too worn. Loved the feel of the guitar, but it would have cost more to do a neck job than I was willing to spend. I ended up getting a new Ibanez Montage, base model. Probably the last one available. Cheesy distortion, but nothing that a few pedals can't fix. Also, I've got to sand down the saddle so the piezo pickup contacts the bass strings a bit better, they're sounding fainter than the higher ones. Other than that not too bad. The money I've saved with that purchase I'll start putting away for a T5z ... ;-)

5. swiveltung

swiveltung Member

Guild Songbird S4CE. Small, plays like an electric, may be my favorite guitar. Get an 80's- early 90's Built in Westerly RI. Not too many for sale right now, but there are usually a few around. $700 and up likely.

6. itstooloudMike

itstooloudMike Member

I'm totally happy with my T5z. Plays like a high-end electric, light as a feather, and has versatility that opens new doors. A beautifully designed and built instrument, by any standard. Not cheap, but worth every penny.

[​IMG]

7. s2y

s2y Member

I had a T5 for many years. Versatile guitar. Ended up selling it because I'm not gigging and have Strats, Teles, semi-hollows, an archtop, and acoustics out the yin yang. The main thing I miss was how I could play it unplugged when the kids were asleep.

8. Wildwind

Wildwind Silver Supporting Member

Carvin AE185, same idea as the Hamer above. Same body size as a Tele (and similar shape), acoustic bridge, plays like a Carvin. This guitar can do all of the above very well IMO! I regret selling mine, will have another some day.

9. Bunky

Bunky Supporting Member

Tell me more about the Carvin, how does it compare to the Hamer? Are the pickups good? GOod build quality? Thanks pard'ner