1. The Rules have been updated regarding posting as a business on TGP. Thread with details here: Thread Here
    Dismiss Notice

Is the Teese 'core halo' inductor noisier than the 'stack of dimes' ?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Perry D., Feb 27, 2005.

1. Perry D.

Perry D. Supporting Member

I recently bought a new Picture wah and was very disappointed to find that it was WAY noisier than my RMC-1 when used with my various OD and dist. pedals. Is this noise ( like a low 60 cycle gain hum) due to the differences in the 'core halo' vs. the 'stack of dimes' inductor? I am powering all of my pedals with carbon batterys and my signal chain goes like this: Strat > Teese wah > BBOD > Honey Bee > Blues Devil > DRD > Fargen Blackbird. The noise from the Pic wah is directly proportional to how much distortion I have dialed in from my other pedals and I am not 'stacking' them. I would appriciate any input regarding this topic.

Thanks,
    Perry D.

2. agentcooper2001

agentcooper2001 Member

I found the RMC3LE very noisy and my RMC-2 is dead quite. I don't know what the hell the difference is, but I much prefer the RMC2.

3. duende

duende Member

Perry,

I think something is wrong with your picture wah. Especially since you power it off a battery.

I'd email George.

Alex

4. HHB

HHB Member

I'm having tons of noise using my RMC3 LE , using a power supply but man this thing just humms like crazy when used , back to the original Crybaby for now

5. Troy T. Blues

Troy T. Blues Comstock Station

Power supplys can greatly contribute to the noise factor.

6. Plexihead

Plexihead Member

I noticed the RMC3LE hummed real bad when placed too close to the Ultra Vibe, it doesn't like to be close to transformers at all. If you are using a PP2 or something similar product, make sure it's as far away from the RMC3 as possible.

With the settings I have inside the pedal at the moment, I have to watch how high I turn the bass trimmer up, too high and it introduces hum as that trimmer also has gain on tap. You might want to see how high you have that turned up in the pedal.

7. Perry D.

Perry D. Supporting Member

As I have stated, I am only using carbon batteries to power my pedals and there is not another ac/dc transformer in the room. I moved the Pic wah 5 feet away from my other pedals to see if that would reduce the hum. It did not. I tried moving my amp to another AC circuit to see if that would help. It did not. I tried Strat > wah > Blues Devil > Amp. Once I stomped the BD, the hum was there in spades. The Pic wah is AT LEAST three times noisier than my RMC-1. I am in email contact with Geoffrey with hope that he can help me rectify this situation. My thanks to everyone for contributing to this thread.

Perry D.

8. jlagrassa

jlagrassa Supporting Member

When I had my RMC3-LE it humed a lot with High Gain, Great Wah but the hum sucked, I tried Batterys used it with my Furman SPB-8 and also with a Pedal Power 2 always hummed with heavy distortion.

I sold the Pedal and bought the Crybaby Classic (w/Fasal Inductor) and is the quietest wah I have played and it does sound very good. I did nothing different i have always kept my wahs away from power supplys so it seems that Teese is just sensitive to high gain!

9. duende

duende Member

That sounds like the smartest thing to do. The only other thing I can think of is if your playing in a room with dirty power. Any dimmers around or nearby??

I know my Gretch Country Gent, hates my office/workspace no matter what I do. I have to take my shoes off, and play with my foot on my wah or I get a buzz.

Good luck!

Alex

10. LordRiffenstein

LordRiffenstein Member

I'm kinda glad to read that more people are having noise issues with their Teese wah. I have the RMC3LE and it gets seriously noisy. I have a power supply on the far left on my board, wah on the far right but still it was picking up a lot of noise. The only solution is to put the wah off the board:

[​IMG]

I'm seriously considering getting some nu-metal to totally shield the wah but that's extremely expensive stuff. It's not picking up noise from the interface box but simply from the power supply.

11. HHB

HHB Member

anyone speaks w/ Geoffrey concerning this please post his reply/fix, this sucks cause I love the pedal and all the features, I am using a small amount of boost from the RM3 but why have the feature if it can't be used, ya know?

12. LordRiffenstein

LordRiffenstein Member

I've send him an email and asked to chime in here!

13. LordRiffenstein

LordRiffenstein Member

Here's the reply from Geoffrey:

Mumetal is the only thing that will work. All 2005 RMC wahs feature mumetal shielded inductors-halos and stacks. Unfortunately, the custom mumetal cans I now have are not large enough to retrofit old wahs.

Mumetal it is.

14. gsf

gsf Member

Where's everybody getting the Mumetal? The searches I did seemed to turn up industrial sized sites. Iwas gonna use some copper foil, but if the mumetal is the only thing............

15. LordRiffenstein

LordRiffenstein Member

I´m considering buying a kit from these guys:

http://www.mushield.com/

16. muddy

muddy Member

at $180-190 a pop for the kits (OUCH!!!), i wonder how MUCH mu-material you actually get? i'm also wondering if maybe we should find out & co-purchase a "gear page" kit & divvy it up equally amongst the buyers?

ml

17. cubba65

cubba65 Member

Are you only covering the inductor with it?
    That's the size of a quarter, plus 1/2" for the sides.... not much material and split up (like muddy says) wouldn't be that much $$$ per user.

OK Mike, I'll trade you my portion for a J. Everman Lo-Fi....
    (snickering smiley)

18. John Hurtt

John Hurtt Supporting Member

That's not a bad idea, I'm sure that Geoffrey Teese would likely show us how he is sheilding the 2005 models.

19. Geoffrey

Geoffrey Member

Hi Everybody,

The material from Mushield is enough to do LOTS of inductors. I started experimenting with a kit from them last year. Here's the problem: you get 3 different types of mumetal materials and no one material by itself does the job. You'll need to cut a strip of each material, a little taller than the inductor and long enough to go around the inductor 1 1/2 times, as well as a circular piece to fit on the top. That's right, 3 materials wrapped around the inductor and 3 materials stacked on top of the inductor. You can hold each "layer" in place with clear tape as you wrap the next layer around the previous one. Drop the circular tops on the top of the inductor and push them down so they'll be within the wrapped mumetal. Use tape to hold the tops in place as well. Not pretty, but works GREAT!

Be sure to read all the info that comes with the mumetal as there is important handling information included.

Let's face it, the 3 weak points in a wah are the pot, the switch and the inductor's sensitivity to EMI. I use the same blue 3PDT that everyone else uses so if you read about people with switch problems in RMC wahs since '02, you'll find the same problems in any wah that uses the same blue 3PDT switch. I am currently testing a new DPDT in my 2005 model RMC3. So far, the DPDT is performing well. I tested a few last year and everything seemed fine, but I won't know until later this year about the reality of it all. The mumetal shields I'm now using should take care of the inductors' sensitivity to EMI.

Peace, Love, and Wah,
    Geoffrey R. Teese
    www.realmccoycustom.com

20. John Hurtt

John Hurtt Supporting Member

Thanks Geoffrey,

Love the RMC3LE, but if there was a way to shield it better...

Hopefully there might be a way to retrofit/modify something down the line.