Is the THD Hot Plate discontinued?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by EBGB, Feb 26, 2012.

1. EBGB

EBGB Member

The big retailers seem to indicate so...

(Looking for a 16ohm)

2. Trebor Renkluaf

Trebor Renkluaf I was hit by a parked car, what's your excuse? Gold Supporting Member

3. GeorgiaGuitars

GeorgiaGuitars Member

I was told that big box stores pulled them because they void the warranties of every amp brand they sell.

4. MikeyG

MikeyG Supporting Member

Where's Ed D lately?

5. stephen sawall

stephen sawall Member

Ed has not worked at THD for some time now.
    They only sell Hot Plates direct now and they are not discontinued. It has been this way for awhile.
    I know of no amp and/or company that has anything about using any attenuator built by anyone that voids a warranty ????? If one actually does I would be interested ?

6. big mike

big mike Administrator Staff Member

Mercury magnetics voids for using attenuators
    Not thd In particular

7. Pewtershmit

Pewtershmit Member

I know they did have a serious supply issue a year back and were back ordered out the wazoo. Perhaps they pulled them until they can fulfill backorders.

It's a great product, but for me being limited to only one impedance is a deal breaker. Though it sounded far better than the weber my amp killed...

I heard THD is killing their amp line, but I do not remember who I heard that from.

8. jaclo

jaclo Member

This is from their website. Wow, news to me. And here I was thinking about getting an Alex.

The use of any type of attenuation device on any Mercury Magnetics transformer will void the 10-Year Warranty. Using "dummy load" or "power attenuators" damages transformers. These type of products wear out power tubes at an accelerated rate, and in some cases may cause RF to be generated in the output, which may destroy the output transformer.

:peenut

9. stephen sawall

stephen sawall Member

Thanks big mike ....

The Hot Plate can be used with more than one impedance. I do it often. It is in the manual how to do it.

10. Jerrod

Jerrod Silver Supporting Member

Oh really?

11. Blue Strat

Blue Strat Member

Sterling, VA (not far from Washington DC)
  12. splatt

splatt david torn / splattercell Gold Supporting Member

yeah, no.

they do not void the warranties of fryette & bogner amps;
    i don't believe they void the warranties of soldano, rivera & many, many, many other amps.

maybe it's only MM whose transformers' warranties are voided by the use of any attenuator?
    i could be wrong about that.

over the course of many, many years, i've never blown any amp's transformers with my attenuators,
    and i use them for some portion of every single day: playing, recordings & live performances.

typically, i am attenuating nearly dimed 40-120w amps down as much as -12dB,
    then irregularly but consistently toggling between that attenuation & a "full-load" of the power-section;
    fwiw, there are no MM transformers in any of my amps, according to the individual amp-designers' & builders' choices.

13. big mike

big mike Administrator Staff Member

Yeah usually a 2:1 mismatch doesn't hurt anything.
    I use my 16 ohm at 8 as well never had any issues.

14. jeffhardee

jeffhardee Supporting Member

The THD hot plate is the single best thing to ever happen to a 59 bassman (RI). What a beautiful chime when cranked!

Now if I just had one for the Super Reverb...............

BTW, my single best amp ever was recently built by http://www.dbengineeringusa.com

15. ripoffriffs

ripoffriffs Supporting Member

Is it just me or what? I am getting the perception that the company isn't doing too well. That's too bad cause they have some of the best amps in market, especially the Flexi-50.

But it's now what? 8 years (maybe more?) since they have come out with new amps or 'Mark 2' versions of their existing amps. I think that's a little too long.

16. stephen sawall

stephen sawall Member

I have played on a few of the prototype's and they have full amp designs ready for when the economy changes. I also have been using a Hot Plate with several amps everyday for over 10 years without any problems. Many company's are having a difficult time with the economy. Last time I spoke with them they were changing how they do some things. Many company's are doing this everywhere big and small. I guess I should talk with Andy before the rumors get too silly....

17. stephen sawall

stephen sawall Member

From Andy ....

"There will be a new amplifier towards the end of this year that is reminiscent of the BiValve-30 in that it will use the same transformers, but will be an even simpler design and layout."

18. gillman royce

gillman royce Member

good to know

19. Jerrod

Jerrod Silver Supporting Member

Nonsense.

20. stephen sawall

stephen sawall Member

The statement is simply not true. Besides it has nothing to do with this in any way. They did not decide anything.....