Is the Timeline based on the DL4?

No.9

I've been looking for a reliable DL4 replacement, without hardware issues, and the functionality of the Timeline appears almost identical. Anybody go from a DL4 to a Timeline?

tibbon

Aside from sharing the ability of presets and tap tempo, no, I don't think there is any direct circuit lineage to be had between the two units.

Plenty of people have upgraded from a DL4 to all sorts of units, including the timeline.

Walkerjerry

I used a DL4 (among others) for a long time, and have a Timeline now, but I guess they're similar in that they both have a knob to change basic delay types... but that's about it. As for a recommendation, just depends on your needs.

cwcashiniv

I'm pretty sure the DL4 and Timefactor have no relation - Line 6 created the DL4, and Damage Control created the original Timeline; Strymon and Damage Control have joined forces, and have now re-released an updated Timeline.

FWIW, I went from a DL4 to a Timefactor, and now to the Timeline.

There's a pretty steep learning curve from the DL4 to the Timefactor, just getting used to the controls, settings, saving presets, etc. But after a month or so, it's a pretty easy pedal to dial in.

READ THE MANUAL!!! Seriously, most of the time, I blow it off, but if you upgrade to a Timefactor or Timeline, you owe it to yourself to read the manual. Both great choices (and I miss my Timefactor sometimes :hide2).

Last edited:

rhoydotp

I thought all the algos were built from the ground up for the Strymeline.
it could very well be but i doubt it, maybe dBucket & dTape. but why re-invent the wheel if you already own the technology. i think strymon even confirmed here that the modulation is a straight port from the DC version

zwolf

I wouldn't be entirely sure it's not, at least partially. Damage control was created by ex-line 6 employees.....

No.9

I looked for a DL4 vs Timeline vid, no luck, has anyone compared the two? I'd be interested to see a side by side.

lonniedarko

Actually, if I recall correctly, I think some of the guys at Strymon used to work at Line 6. Hence why they used to sell the Line 6 tube-thingy when they first started out. So it could be possible that, for instance the Swell algorithm, is loosely based on the auto-volume echo from the DL4.

No.9

Actually, if I recall correctly, I think some of the guys at Strymon used to work at Line 6. Hence why they used to sell the Line 6 tube-thingy when they first started out. So it could be possible that, for instance the Swell algorithm, is loosely based on the auto-volume echo from the DL4.
The things I used most on the DL4 were auto-volume, reverse, filter, and the looper.

I guess I wanted to know if these effects are a direct port from the DL4 to the Timeline? If the price difference wasn't $250 it wouldn't matter, but for that much more ching I'm curious.

cookedbutok

The things I used most on the DL4 were auto-volume, reverse, filter, and the looper.

I guess I wanted to know if these effects are a direct port from the DL4 to the Timeline? If the price difference wasn't $250 it wouldn't matter, but for that much more ching I'm curious.
They are not a direct port from a DL4. It's a completely different pedal with a totally different interface, parameters to control and different effects altogether.

If you are looking for a different version of the DL4, i'd recommend getting a M5 or an M9.