• TGP is giving away a Strat, Tele, and Jazzmaster. Click Here for full details.
    Click Here to upgrade your account and enter today!

Is the Timmy based on a classic circuit?

quadrogong

It's popular and fairly inexpensive compared to some of the trendy OD's
..sounds like its worth checking out.
I was wondering if it was a modified version of a Boss ,TS or common circuit?

kodou

Yep, as stated before it is an original circuit.

Also a kick ass pedal. Mine turned up last week and is now being used to stack as a solo booster with my Rats and Iron Bell. Makes any dirt/fuzz pedal into an awesome lead tone.

Mancunion

It's a simple and clever design.
I wish I came up with that one, instead PaulC did.

It's not a 1-2-1 bufferless/boutique/rebranded copy of anything mass produced.
It's every bit good as your OD du jour and cannot be faulted in any dept. (apart from personal taste). Yet Paul keeps selling it at a ridiculous price.
That's just great!

drbob1

Gold Supporting Member
If you go over to Freestomboxes.org, PaulC has explained his thinking in designing it. He wanted something that would emulate his particular amp, and so it's designed more to be an extension of the amp than as an overdrive pedal per se. It does use two stages of op-amps but for different purposes than the usual Boss/Ibanez/Rat clone...

Eagleseer

i tend to agree with this...says someone who just bought a $200 wampler sovereign ;)
The Timmy is actually based on a classic circuit. That circuit is known as the Tim.
No, sorry to those folks who are still drinking the Koolaid, there really is more to the story. Timmy as well as the Jan Ray are essentially a slightly modified JRC4558 circuit that were are found in Boss Superoverdrive, EHX Big Muff, HBE Powerscreamer, Tubescreamer, DOD Yngwie, Dan Armstrong, etc. It actually started from a cheap circuit massed produced in Japan. You can check it out for yourself right here https://www.electrosmash.com/jrc4558-analysis/pedals/distortion/jrc4558-analysis.html They just repackaged them like Crack Cocaine into shiny sexy little boxes and fooled the world into overpaying for them when they could have something very similar for under a 100 bucks. Instead, they were shrewd americans and lined their pockets with cash. Let's not forget though, that this is business, and what most of the pedal industry does, just modifies/improves existing circuits and sells them to fools like me. It's no different than overpaying for a pair of designer jeans made from the same material as the cheaper ones you can find at WalMart, just packaged to look cooler, and people pay 10 times what they could. Guys like Greg Wampler can tell you all about it. I'm not throwing stones here folks, I too have G.A.S., and drank the koolaide too and paid 385 for a King of Tone, although I certainly don't regret it, the higher quality components and changes he made sound awesome. I doubted the truth to this until I compared the KOT, Jan-Ray, a Timmy, and a HBE Powerscreamer. Let's just say they sound nearly identical, and I doubt if we did a sound test most people couldn't tell us which was which. Just to mention, I spend too much time on Reverb, YouTube, etc, reviewing and comparing tones daily, so I'd say I should be able to tell the difference. I ended up keeping the KOT (Duh) and the HBE Powerscreamer. The Timmy is a great pedal, just can't justify pissing away all that cash when I have virtually the same pedal in my HBE for 80 bucks. I know with this being my first post on here I likely won't be making a ton of pals, but I couldn't just leave it lie (pun intended)! Please do me a favor, before assuming and taking offense because you own one, do the research yourself, and you'll see what I'm talking about. There's even strings on this forum that talk about mods that will tell you the same thing. After nearly forty years of playing and wasting hundreds of dollars doing the same thing, I realize more and more everyday that-yes, you need a quality guitar, amp, and pedals. However, more of the tone comes from the individual's experience, style, hands, pick attack, technique, etc. I think of the example of Ted Nugent using Eddie's famous guitar, plugging into Eddie Van Halens rig to see what was so magical about it. Afterwards he commented, "I just sounded like me anyway!" Also Randy Rhoads (RIP), who got the gig with Ozzy playing his Les Paul into a tiny practice amp for the audition. So there's the moral to the story, I'd be better off using the time usually spent on Reverb, forums, and other sites obsessing about the next overdrive and instead head to the woodshed to improve my tone and chops. Now it's time to drink my own medicine....Cheers.

Last edited:

Jack DeVille

No, sorry to those folks who are still drinking the Koolaid, there really is more to the story. Timmy as well as the Jan Ray are essentially a slightly modified JRC4558 circuit that were are found in Boss Superoverdrive, EHX Big Muff, HBE Powerscreamer, Tubescreamer, DOD Yngwie, Dan Armstrong, etc. It actually started from a cheap circuit massed produced in Japan. You can check it out for yourself right here https://www.electrosmash.com/jrc4558-analysis/pedals/distortion/jrc4558-analysis.html They just repackaged them like Crack Cocaine into shiny sexy little boxes and fooled the world into overpaying for them when they could have something very similar for under a 100 bucks. Instead, they were shrewd americans and lined their pockets with cash. Let's not forget though, that this is business, and what most of the pedal industry does, just modifies/improves existing circuits and sells them to fools like me. It's no different than overpaying for a pair of designer jeans made from the same material as the cheaper ones you can find at WalMart, just packaged to look cooler, and people pay 10 times what they could. Guys like Greg Wampler can tell you all about it. I'm not throwing stones here folks, I too have G.A.S., and drank the koolaide too and paid 385 for a King of Tone, although I certainly don't regret it, the higher quality components and changes he made sound awesome. I doubted the truth to this until I compared the KOT, Jan-Ray, a Timmy, and a HBE Powerscreamer. Let's just say they sound nearly identical, and I doubt if we did a sound test most people couldn't tell us which was which. Just to mention, I spend too much time on Reverb, YouTube, etc, reviewing and comparing tones daily, so I'd say I should be able to tell the difference. I ended up keeping the KOT (Duh) and the HBE Powerscreamer. The Timmy is a great pedal, just can't justify pissing away all that cash when I have virtually the same pedal in my HBE for 80 bucks. I know with this being my first post on here I likely won't be making a ton of pals, but I couldn't just leave it lie (pun intended)! Please do me a favor, before assuming and taking offense because you own one, do the research yourself, and you'll see what I'm talking about. There's even strings on this forum that talk about mods that will tell you the same thing. After nearly forty years of playing and wasting hundreds of dollars doing the same thing, I realize more and more everyday that-yes, you need a quality guitar, amp, and pedals. However, more of the tone comes from the individual's experience, style, hands, pick attack, technique, etc. I think of the example of Ted Nugent using Eddie's famous guitar, plugging into Eddie Van Halens rig to see what was so magical about it. Afterwards he commented, "I just sounded like me anyway!" Also Randy Rhoads (RIP), who got the gig with Ozzy playing his Les Paul into a tiny practice amp for the audition. So there's the moral to the story, I'd be better off using the time usually spent on Reverb, forums, and other sites obsessing about the next overdrive and instead head to the woodshed to improve my tone and chops. Now it's time to drink my own medicine....Cheers.
I wish it was a thumbs down/unlike option that was available.

We clearly differ in opinion/stance, history and experience but I wholeheartedly disagree with you here.

As a cat who knows Paul personally, his circuit(s) are his own, and a blanket statement as suggested above equates to me as the equivalent of saying every car ever produced is an adaptation of the basic horse carriage, with some type of non-horse driven power source. The parallels/similies could continue ad-nauseuem but I stand behind the statement: what Paul created with his Tim and Timmy circuits is unique and, please correct me if I am wrong Paul, but Paul's circuits and design are his own creation and realization. Offered to the public at a very competitive price. :)

Enjoy life to the best you are able. I personally hope it doesn't last too long (for me, not you; I would never wish ill upon the next man), and I encourage you to recognize Paul's ingenuity within his designs, while simultaneously recognizing what he bills for his products.

Stay good and lets hope we all wake tomorrow feeling a vigor for life.
It doesn't last long and our time here is "precious" to many, specifically those who have children of their own.

EDIT:
I should highlight that the "JRC4558 opamp" you specifically selected and cited is simply dual 741s with internal compensation in a single 8-pin package, manufactured by New Japan Radio Corp. Or course, you already knew that, right? That is to say that it is a "general purpose opamp" (operational amplifier, capable of performing a variety of mathematical functions based on how the IC is configured and employed), and it is not some type of "magic chip," even if many DIY blog cites may have mis-informed you and the general public on that.

Any engineer worth his salt can read a datasheet and select the appropriate part for their application, if their application is that specific.
Then again, there will always be those who say it "has the JRC4558" so it is a TS variant, without any knowledge of what they are talking about.
I have no idea of your working knowledge and understanding of any this stuff, but I thought Paul used a 4559? Who knows. Its just a number, and again: datasheets are generally available for public access as the manufacturers of the parts want those who are using them to use them effectively.

As always YMMV, and it's quite easy to say something, but much more difficult to understand it.

Last edited:

dhdfoster

Gold Supporting Member
You completely misunderstood the link you posted.

Trending Topics