• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

Is the tube screamer the best pedal ever for a blackface amp

YYZ

Silver Supporting Member
I’m using KTR and Timmy for midrange growl and sparkling OD, respectively.

Tabor

Silver Supporting Member
I’ve almost exclusively played Bf fenders. I’ve only had one TS ever (plumes) and sold it quickly.

Last edited:

BMX

Silver Supporting Member
I think the TS 808 is the best overdrive for Fender Amps-- if you gig. If you only play at home they are pretty awful. Through a cranked amp, with the pedal set for really low gain and high volume, and a fender guitar (especially on the bridge pickup) they are as good as anything.

I think most people that don't like them (IMO) haven't really used them the way they are intended to be used-they play them through an amp on 25% volume and use the neck pickup and with the drive on the pedal set above 25%--- put that together and it sounds really bad. I think these home players are why you see so many postings around "need an overdrive that retains the low end and doesn't have a mid-hump."

But people have different tastes and there are a lot of overdrives to chose from...

BeeBaa

What he said.

And while we’re at it, let’s start calling “TS type” overdrives “OD-1 type” overdrives, and start giving Boss the credit it deserves for designing this type of circuit. Can I get an amen?
It’s odd when the copy becomes better known than the thing copied. Like with Hydrox and Oreo. Hydrox cookies came first, but most people think of them as a cheap knockoff.

It’s a little like Flavor Aid and Kool Aid. Everyone talks about “drinking the Kool Aid,” but it was actually Flavor Aid that did the job at Jonestown. The Flavor Aid PR department missed out on a big opportunity here.

jimmybigtime

Probably. It’s probably the best overdrive ever for a lot more amps besides blackface fenders.

Or one of the old Boss pedals. To be honest they really haven’t been improved upon much if at all.

davimre

I think most people that don't like them (IMO) haven't really used them the way they are intended to be used-they play them through an amp on 25% volume and use the neck pickup and with the drive on the pedal set above 25%--- put that together and it sounds really bad. I think these home players are why you see so many postings around "need an overdrive that retains the low end and doesn't have a mid-hump."
This 100000 percent. The TS's mid-hump and clean blend works best when your amp is cranked, clipping, and pushing too much bass. As metal players figured out long ago, the TS tightens up the low end and gives you the mids to be heard. The resulting tone is not exactly saturated, but just more of what you want. It's a glorious combination at loud, gig-worthy volumes.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom