Is the two rock EXO going to satisfy my two-rock gas?

swem

I have ALWAYS wanted a two-rock. Since the second I started playing electric guitar. I have never been able to justify the HUGE amount of money to get myself one, figuring that there is a point of diminishing returns and my quality boutiques in the 1-1500 range are close to as good. My favorite amp so far was my tone king comet, the cleans on that thing are to die for. Now two rock has introduced the studio pro line a few years back at much more resonable prices and I have thought about jumping on one a few times, they seem impossible to find used though. Now they have released the exo at a super affordable price point (for a two rock) and I think I might finally own a two rock. Im just wondering how they fair to their more expensive bigger brothers. Quality clips are few and far between. Any owners please chime in. Thanks in advance!

T92780

Gold Supporting Member
I guess you don't have a dealer within a couple hour road trip from your location to play the amps?

I don't own, nor played an EXO, but own an old Jet and SP22. I've also played Custom Clean, Classic Reverb, etc and I think with a few twist of knobs, all their amps clean channel tones can sound "pretty much" the same at "lower volumes".

I needed time with my SP22 to dial it in, unlike my old Jet. The tone controls on SP22 are turned to all crazy levels, but I got my tone with a little time- love the amp.

If a few hundred makes a big difference in your budget and I understand if it does, I would wait to play each 35-watt and below amp in TR family to find your "partner". TR's are touch sensitive and exploit your playing mistakes and highlight the good stuff. I wouldn't go below SP22 for a couple of reasons, unless maybe you get a used EXO for under $900.00....then it might be worth the gamble IMO.

Traviswalk and others will be able to provide you more help.

Veritas

Gold Supporting Member
Played an EXO recently with a Two Rock 2x12 cab and I was surprised at how great it sounded. Obviously it's not real loud, but the tone is there. That said, I'm not much of a TR aficionado...I can't say how it compares to others.

kevin_jazz

I own a Two Rock EXO-15 as does shapeshifter, who has some great clips on soundcloud. Mine is paired with a standard Two Rock 1x12 extension cab. I played several different Two Rocks at the winter NAMM. To my ears--and you can see this if you here people play the SPs and EXO-15 on your Tube--the Two Rock "sound" is common to both. For me, it's that smooth mid-to-high range. The EXO-15 can go into overdrive territory much more easily. To me the crunch sounds great, particularly on P-90s and HB. Extremely dynamic, Vol 4, clean, vol 6 dirty clean, vol 8 crunch, vol 10 big overdrive.

It doesn't have as much headroom as I'd like, but then I'm used to a 50W amp for that.

The SPs will give you a lot more tonal shaping options, but I can get very satisfying tones from the EXO.

swem

Thanks for the input guys... I am starting to think I should just go with the sp22. We do not have a two rock dealer within a days driving distance so trying one is basically out of the question.

I've had the same conversation with myself, but with a Gain Master 22 versus an Exo with pedals. Does twice the price = twice as nice for this scenario??

kevin_jazz

One thing I'm considering is pairing the EXO-15 with the upcoming BadCat Unleashed class-D amplifier. That means the EXO could run from 15Watts-100Watts. The EXO is really, really, portable. Your back will love you.

shapeshifter

I own an EXO, its a great amp that has the same basic TR sound like the other models
If you do not need on board reverb or other extra features you should be fine.
I also think, especially if you are using efficient speakers and bigger cabs, depending on your style you are having a loud enough amp.
If you are playing bigger stages etc...you should probably go for extra wattage.
The sound is there.

Soundhound

Reviving this thread. I'm thinking about getting a Two Rock Exo and pairing with the Badcat Unleash for medium size and up clubs etc. Has anybody tried them together?

kevin_jazz

I think kevin_jazz successfully paired the two. i think there is even a thread here somewhere...
Yes, I run those two together and it works quite well. I haven't tried the effects loop because I keep everything in front. Right now, I've used the attenuator more than than the amplifier. However, I've got an outdoor gig next month in a big band setting--so loud and clean--I can report how it works out then....

kevin_jazz

Here's an older photo. To me, this is an amazing combo. Get's you the best of Two Rock with huge dynamic range at an affordable and highly portable package.....

Soundhound

Thanks Kevin!

Also I'm wondering in general about using the Unleash with speakers rated at 30, 60, 75 watts etc. I have a 112 with an Eminence Patriot Red White and Blue speaker, and an Avatar 212 with their regular combination (or was 5 years ago or so) of a Hellatone 30 watt and Hellatone 60 watt in there. Is there any danger of blowing those out with the Unleash, since it's rated at 100 watts?

Last edited:

Soundhound

P.S. I like to play with a clean amp, love to get rich, full cleans and use pedals for varying levels/types of drive, distortion etc - and always wanted a Two Rock. What I'm hoping for is the Exo will give me those beautiful cleans at home and in small clubs, and the Unleash will let me use it in bigger clubs, outdoor gigs (the season is upon us, after all) etc.

All for not too much do re mi. :)

kevin_jazz

P.S. I like to play with a clean amp, love to get rich, full cleans and use pedals for varying levels/types of drive, distortion etc - and always wanted a Two Rock. What I'm hoping for is the Exo will give me those beautiful cleans at home and in small clubs, and the Unleash will let me use it in bigger clubs, outdoor gigs (the season is upon us, after all) etc.

All for not too much do re mi. :)
Sorry for not responding sooner. I don't hear any tonal degradation from the Unleash. I've got their 65W rated Two Rock cab. There's nothing from preventing the Unleash from blowing out your speaker. I suppose, however, it should depend a bit on whether your playing at high volumes at a sustained level. That would depend on how the speaker specs are defined.

I plan on using the combination in exactly the way you described. I've got an outdoor gig at the end of next month. I'll report on it--and add a photo....

I would be nice if their were some kind of limiter, but I guess the safest route would be to get an EVH speaker......

Kevin

kevin_jazz

I've had the same conversation with myself, but with a Gain Master 22 versus an Exo with pedals. Does twice the price = twice as nice for this scenario??
The EXO-15 has a *great* sounding natural OD. Pretty uncompressed IMHO. You don't need pedals unless you're going for a compressed sound or for gain staging. The Unleash, however, gives you an added solo boost that's perfectly clean. Use pedals for effects. To me the, EXO-15/Unleash is one of the most cost-effective solutions for high-end sound and versatility....

DRS

The EXO-15 has a *great* sounding natural OD. Pretty uncompressed IMHO. You don't need pedals unless you're going for a compressed sound or for gain staging. The Unleash, however, gives you an added solo boost that's perfectly clean. Use pedals for effects. To me the, EXO-15/Unleash is one of the most cost-effective solutions for high-end sound and versatility....
How does the Exo/Unleash combo compare to the Express 5:50 you have for clean and natural over-driven tone?

thiscalltoarms

more gadgets than Batman.
Platinum Supporting Member
Unleash question- can you use it without a speaker plugged in at all for just lining out?

kevin_jazz

How does the Exo/Unleash combo compare to the Express 5:50 you have for clean and natural over-driven tone?
Two Rock has it's own clean sound. The 5:50 has got a great clean sound too, but different. I think the OD on the EXO is a bit better than the "blues" channel on the 5:50. I'm not a big fan of the higher gain setting on the 5:50.

Both are fine amps. The big difference is that the EXO head is 12lbs and the cab is about 30 lbs whereas the 5:50 is in the 50+ lbs category.

The 5:50's got channel switching, a nice reverb, and a tube-buffered effects loop. So more features==more weight.

Trending Topics