Is the Two Rock Thing Just Hype

stratzrus

Philadelphia Jazz, Funk, and R&B
Gold Supporting Member
Beautiful!

If someone were to ask me what a $10K amp should look like I'd send them your pic.

Someone once told me that it's impolite to go to a restaurant and say the prices are too high...if you feel that way, just don't eat there.

Dave_C

Had the same experience with my PRS hollow body. Put in a set of Holmes and it transformed a guitar I'd planned to sell. Old pickups stuffy, mid's sucked out, no dynamics. New pickups, sensitive, transparent, singing, etc.....so how bout them there Two Rocks.?....;)
:AOK
Agreed, Andy. PUPs make a huge difference, regardless of wood. I have experienced way too many "transformations" myself (or, at least, really nice upgrades) to discount this one. For example, the stock Anderson noiseless SCs are too compressed, soft and kinda' muddy, especially with high gain. Slapped in some Kinmans and both of my Classics came alive! Huge difference...and both of these axes sound great acoustically, so it ain't no wood issue.
:nono

Then, you can talk about noiseless vs. traditional, HB vs. SC, etc, etc, etc. Slapped a JB 'bucker in one of my Classics recently and am totally rediscovering the joys of that tone after 12 years of using nothing but SCs in all positions.

As for them there Two Rocks, I thought this diversion was far more interesting!!! LOL. :roll

Plague Dog

See this is where this thread got off to a bad start, some saw it as a product bashing thread where if you go back and read the posts, you have a ratio of more than 10-1 of people who said they loved the product. So in essence this was a love fest...

Now as far as the thread swerve, the other topics being discussed do deserve their own threads.

In case you haven't noticed, this is a Two-Rock bashing thread- please take your picks, pickups, and crappy wood to an appropriate discussion area!:crazy

:munch

57tele

See this is where this thread got off to a bad start, some saw it as a product bashing thread where if you go back and read the posts, you have a ratio of more than 10-1 of people who said they loved the product. So in essence this was a love fest...

Make it 10.1-1. I've played quite a few high end amps of various stripes, and I love my Custom Sig.

Eskimo_Joe

Rocker, roller, way out of controller
Silver Supporting Member
I didn't read all 16 pages but all I know is that I love my Germino and if a Two Rock is better, I'm guessing it's not 5 times better. Doesn't John mayer have a sig model with them? If so, on principle alone, I'm going to have to boycott the company. :)

markom89

Yeah, JM has a signature model, and call me crazy, but if it wheren't $8.5k, I think I'd actually want one, based on the specs, and if it actually sounds anything like the tone he gets... (atleast his clean tone...)

Joe Perry

Platinum Supporting Member
Yeah, JM has a signature model, and call me crazy, but if it wheren't $8.5k, I think I'd actually want one, based on the specs, and if it actually sounds anything like the tone he gets... (atleast his clean tone...)
You've just said what I've been thinking all along. For now 8.5k is a little too much for *me* personally. Maybe 4.5-5k. Different I know, but I'm heavily leaning towards a Mad Professor.

from what i hear it's similar to a d*mble steel string singer, as in, the same model that SRV used. big, clean, and funky. i've heard thru a few different folks that the clean channel of the 100 watt carol-ann can do a decent rendition of that sound as well. w/ the simpler signal path of the T-R (no channel switching) and the hand picked components i would expect the T-R to have the slight edge.

as to the 2 1/2 times more that one would pay for the T-R vs. the carol-ann, the equations of ratio for degree of improvement vs. money spent begin to break down somewhere at around a few hundred bucks. the $8.5K will really only be worth it to those that are looking for that thing. evidently, there were enough of those around that the amps sold out very quickly.

doesn't surprise me. there's not very many SSS 'clones' around.

kingsleyd

Frikkin genyus
Platinum Supporting Member
I didn't read all 16 pages but all I know is that I love my Germino and if a Two Rock is better, I'm guessing it's not 5 times better. Doesn't John mayer have a sig model with them? If so, on principle alone, I'm going to have to boycott the company. :)
I don't get "better" in this case. If you love your Germino and dislike John Mayer [that is, JM's guitar tones] I'm not sure what you're even doing in a Two-Rock thread!

I've played the Mayer sig amp -- if you like that big, nuanced clean thing JM favors it's just the thing. And it has a great reverb. Personally, though, I'm happy with my 50w CRSig. (which, funny enough, was previously owned by JM)

markom89

µ¿ z3®ø™;2921897 said:
from what i hear it's similar to a d*mble steel string singer, as in, the same model that SRV used. big, clean, and funky. i've heard thru a few different folks that the clean channel of the 100 watt carol-ann can do a decent rendition of that sound as well. w/ the simpler signal path of the T-R (no channel switching) and the hand picked components i would expect the T-R to have the slight edge.

as to the 2 1/2 times more that one would pay for the T-R vs. the carol-ann, the equations of ratio for degree of improvement vs. money spent begin to break down somewhere at around a few hundred bucks. the $8.5K will really only be worth it to those that are looking for that thing. evidently, there were enough of those around that the amps sold out very quickly.

doesn't surprise me. there's not very many SSS 'clones' around.
I totally understand what you're saying, and I agree 100%!!! I sure as heck would like to try out the JM amp, as that's the kinda' sound I've been after (eventhough my Bruno has me a good portion of the way there), that big, clean and "funky" sound! That's exactly what I want. Imagine this: A turquoise Kimock quarterstack and a JM quarterstack running together. JM for the clean, Kimock for the mean. I just soiled myself thinking about it.

someone please sig that whole "JM for the clean..." thing.

µ¿ z3®ø™;2921897 said:
Ok, seriously, why is a Two Rock selected component better than a Carol Ann component? I would be inclined to say that the carol ann component is just as likely to be as good as the two rock part.

Don Rusk

BearFoot FX Owner
Vendor
Friend of mine had a Two Rock a couple years ago - big beautiful funky cleans........ that sounded exacty like my Trace Elliot bass amp (all tube V4 = 4 X KT88s) when plugged into the same cab...... for some reason he sold it about a week later ;)

but thats the biggest part of that SSS sound - big high headrom power tubes (and speakers to match)

KOG

OK - it's time to come off the bench since Joe wants some smack down time…… :Spank

Which one of you two (Joe or Alan) has dibs on the “Joe Bonamassa Sig” (v1, v2, etc.) amp? Actually, let’s also invite Marshall and Category 5 - at the moment - to join in on the fun! Joe B is in my opinion the closet thing to a living (recently acquired) blues guitar hero that we have - my other hero’s are sucking dirt - and somebody needs to cash in on this cow!

There – that’s my bash and I can flush now.:moon

I have been an extremely pleased (original) owner of a CR Sig v1. I have had a gazillion amps over the past 30 yrs and I can say this about Two Rocks. The CRS may not be the “Swiss Army Knife” of amps (darn close) and a lot of amps can cop each other’s mojo. But I have only found one amp that does the “Two Rock thing” and that’s a Two Rock! Incidentally, I recently put a Celestion Heritage G12-65 in a 1x12 cab (nudging out my Scumback H75 by a hair) and the CRS has never sounded better! I am thinking about sending Joe (K&M) a check for an additional $995K, because the freaking amp now sounds like a million dollars! That being the case, I think I got a pretty good deal! :eek:

I have posted this before, but this quote from a Tonequest article sums up the Two Rock “hype” thing better than anything IMHO.

"The Signature Custom Reverb is one of the most versatile and utterly toneful amps we have ever played, and it’s hard to imagine a style of music that the Signature can’t cut with style and a voice that will have your buddies begging to plug in. Again, it will not produce the raggedy-ass beauty of a crude old Valco or Gibson from the ‘50s, but that’s a minor compromise. What it does deliver is pristine, rich clean tones and every possible variation of subtle to completely over the top distortion, while never sounding harsh, too sharp, muddy, or artificially cranked. We couldn’t find a bad tone in it, and we tried."

So how much is that worth in amp dollars? :rolleyes:

P.S. - Alan a good friend of mine has one of your amps on order. I will be keeping my ear to the ground for it's arrival. :drool

Rant off! :messedup

Carol-AnnAmps

People will buy what they want for whatever reason. It's purely personal. TR have been in business a while and sell a lot of amps. That speaks very positively for itself in my opinion. If price was an object, then they wouldn't sell....it's business 101.

As for the JB Sig. quote.....I have no plans to build a JB Sig. JB ordered a custom amp in a styling that I would rather avoid for my mainstream models. That was totally his choice, he paid full price for it and I built what he requested. If Joe tells people he loves the amp, then that is cool. He paid me, I don't expect anything more.
I may do a sig. series for someone along the way, but it can't and won't look like that amp.

Alan.

Ok, seriously, why is a Two Rock selected component better than a Carol Ann component? I would be inclined to say that the carol ann component is just as likely to be as good as the two rock part.
i have a lot of respect for alan and have one of his amps coming in february. my understanding is that he has standardised the build of his OD2. i certainly believe that he has sourced quality components to be able to achieve consistent results. my understanding w/ the JM sig. amp is that they ear tested a lot of components and some of them are not all that common, but they were able to acquire enough of all the componentry (is that eve a word?) to be able to build a limited # of amps.

i can't really speak authoritatively on the subject as i have no first hand knowledge. i'm really just taking the words of the respective individuals at face value.
i've talked to a number of amp builders and informed individuals over the past half year or so and my sense is that there is some sort of consensus about tradeoffs that one makes to make amps affordable/consistent/dependable. guys like brandon montgomery who can build a standard amp, but also build one off, custom voiced amps that don't have to be consistent over a run of a few dozen amps have the luxury of sourcing rare/expensive parts where the individual is willing to pay for them.

again, no disrespect to alan and i'm sure he has gone to great lengths to secure the best components available to deliver a consistent run of amps. i'm looking forward to mine. my sense it the T-R JM sig. might be a bit more no-compromise, no expense limit criteria for the small run of amps that they did.
who knows, maybe the T-R thing is all hype and they are charlatans and are ripping everybody off blind. if they are, i think it'll all come out in the wash in a short period of time. ppl aren't stupid and there's a number of pretty decent amps being built these days. i must say, tho', i hear far more good things about their amps (tonewise) than i do negative things.

i do abstractly understand why some ppl seem to have a chip on their shoulder concerning T-R and the pricing strategy they employ. whether it's productive or not is another issue entirely.

Joe Mlog

Joe, why do you think your amps are worth twice as much as your competitors? What is Two Rock doing that sets them apart?

This thread seems like a great time to simply set the record straight, to me. If I was in the amp business selling a top end amp, I'd take every opportunity to differentiate my product and make sure consumers knew why they should pay the premium.

I remember on the old Two Rock site under the description of the Kimock model, there was a mention of a limited supply of old stock parts which meant you could only produce 25 amps. What are these parts and what are their advantages over current production parts? Since, they can't be obtained by competitors, what's the harm in talking about them some more?
Jackie, I believe we've met. You have been to our shop, may have even applied for a job, I think you are building amps, too. We live in the same town. I think these questions are tough to answer, epecially in your case, for obvious reasons:

1) anything I say could possibly reveal proprietary information
2)anything I say could give you or other amp builders information on our approach

Thanks for understanding. :BEER

Trending Topics