Is the Ultimate Attenuator putting big iron Marshalls back on stages?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by soldano16, Dec 27, 2008.

1. soldano16

soldano16 Member

I always wonder a bit when I read the back and forth on how good/not good the UA is at getting thundering Marshall tones at bedroom levels. I wonder because in my world it's so much more about being able to get great Marshall roar in a band situation without crazy volume levels. I first found out about the unit when I read about some very cool players who were using it on the road with their 50 watt Marshalls. I looked at it only in a band context.

Anyways. I don't play out anymore but have lots of jams over at my house and I've found the UA to be fantastic with my band. Even taming down my 100 watt SuperLead gives me huge, wonderful tone.

To me, it's a life changer. Yes the Marshalls make a nice clean platform for pedals but it doesn't compare to having both channels on 7. I keep 2 overdrives on my board just from habit but it's all guitar and amp. Those vintage Marshalls have the grandest tone I've ever heard. I'd be interested to hear stories of folks who use the UA in a band setting, especially where it has now enabled them to change how they use their big amps on stage. Are folks starting to rethink those 100 watters that kinda sat around before?

2. sinasl1

sinasl1 Supporting Member

I use attenuators live, even on big stages. I've never tried the Ultimate, I have a Hot Plate and a Komet Airbrake. I've been using them for years to make 50 and 100 watt amps more controllable. On a decent size stage, all you need is a click or 2 down on the attenuator and you are good to go, and the tone really doesn't suffer too much (I've done really critical attenuator comparisons with the THD and the Komet- I'll tell you now, they both lop off a bit of top end but otherwise sound pretty good). I really would like to try the UA but the Faustine Phantom has my interest peaked- I tried one (proto) at home briefly and it was AWESOME, didn't seem to affect the tone- it's a reactive unit, as opposed to the fixed load type.

3. RCCola

RCCola (|@ / \ @ |.) Gold Supporting Member

4. soldano16

soldano16 Member

He was one of the folks using them that got me to take the plunge when they were less well known.

Peter Stroud was the other.

5. dewman

dewman Gold Supporting Member

I'll let you know how it goes live with Germino non mastervolume amps soon. I've got an Ultimate on the way from Ho and it should, if it works as advertised, reduce my decibels but not the low end. As long as I can dial the amp up an ride the volume or use an occasional boost, then I'm good to go. Sound levels have influenced my decision to get a 100 watter superbass Germino HR100, but if it can be tamed this way then I'll give it a shot.

6. cg

cg Member

7. skhan007

skhan007 Supporting Member

I own a UA and now it's finally possible for to entertain the idea of owning a 100 watt non-master volume Marshall; something that was impossible for me as a bedroom player to ever consider.

8. jockman

jockman Member

Would an attenuator be a waste with a master volume amp? would it benefit in that you don't have to push the preamp to get valve drive?

Jon

9. BryanMatthews

BryanMatthews Member

I would dearly LOVE to see ( if this exists ) a youtube clip of a 50 or 100 watt NMV Marshall straight into a cab with only a UA between them, no pedals !! The player to use the UA to get that NMV head with vol around 7 and get usable tones at a volume neighbours and wife wouldnt be baying for your blood over.

Can this be done ?

10. Ed Reed

Ed Reed Senior Member

I use a Hot Plate with my Dr Z Maz 18. You still need to get the tubes working with a master volume amp, I use the HP to knock it back down just a bit, about 4-8db.

11. fabulusfab777

fabulusfab777 Member

I use a Richter clone attenuator (that was build from a forum member btw...) with my Winfield 18/30 and i couldn't be happier. It is a NMV amp so i really needed the attenuator, i have not played out a lot lately but it deos a wonderfull job in a band setting and at home too. Mine also has a line out wich is really cool, i run the line out into my wet effect and then to two PA speakers, great..great tone !!

12. jockman

jockman Member

Many thanks for the reply, answered my question perfectly.

13. cg

cg Member

Here you go (courtesy of Todd Duane):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CiWLnYU6JBQ&feature=channel_page

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GJJCfuiKRQA&feature=PlayList&p=865CD3E955A85EB6&index=0

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tC1_gn-dFMw&feature=PlayList&p=865CD3E955A85EB6&index=3

14. BryanMatthews

BryanMatthews Member