Is the used market drying up?

lestera34

Silver Supporting Member
Those taxes were always due (US income tax due on “income… from whatever source derived.”), etc etc etc … so there’s no double taxation if one understands taxes … you’re good to keep selling … :facepalm :knitting :idea
Except it’s still double and triple dipping.

Why in the world should any of us be compelled to pay taxes (again) for the privilege to sell (often at a loss) gear which we paid state tax for when we purchased?

People like you aren’t helping anything.

Wms76

Silver Supporting Member

Why in the world should any of us be compelled to pay taxes (again) for the privilege to sell (often at a loss) gear which we paid state tax for when we purchased?

Except that, in fact, it’s not (double dipping)… those who actually understand tax laws can be so inconvenient for those who have fiction based horses to beat. No tax due on losses, etc, for example, if you understand tax laws etc. And separate later transactions may be (sales) taxable, being a new transaction separate from the original sale :dunno :horse

Last edited:

Yamaha 350

Anybody having a hard time selling anything for anywhere near your original asking price? I'm seeing all kinds of things in the emporium not moving or getting the price marked down numerous times. Inflation making it hard for anyone to buy gear, is that what it is?
Because it is expensive custom shop or custom builders, specs etc.. Every one does not have 5000 or 4000 dollars to spend at TGP emporium.

lostpick

Silver Supporting Member

If only you had the internet to do a cursory search in order to see how wrong you are.

snagged

No, it's not. You owe taxes on the money your employer pays you, which in turn came from a customer who paid taxes on their income. You owe taxes when money moves from one person to another. That's the basic operating principle of taxation.

vintagelove

If you're selling something that there are literally thousands of (strats, LP, etc), all around the same price, you are going to have a very hard time getting rid of it.

Lotis

Gold Supporting Member
I have sold around 10 guitars the last year. All on Craigslist. I price in the middle. Not high, not low. I prefer to sell in person so the buyer gets hands on in person, I get cash and that's the end of it. I have sold everything I wanted to sell there. Sometimes it can take as long as a month or 2 but I always sell. Once in awhile I sell something for a little less than I paid for it. I consider the loss as rent in order to try new stuff.

Yam the BOMB

Blues Dentist
Platinum Supporting Member
Those taxes were always due (US income tax due on “income… from whatever source derived.”), etc etc etc … so there’s no double taxation if one understands taxes … you’re good to keep selling … :facepalm :knitting :idea
No one wants to pay “their fair share”.

Yam the BOMB

Blues Dentist
Platinum Supporting Member
Except that, in fact, it’s not (double dipping)… those who actually understand tax laws can be so inconvenient for those who have fiction based horses to beat. No tax due on losses, etc, for example, if you understand tax laws etc. :dunno :horse
I think you are talking about tax on profit. He is talking about sales tax on used merchandise when sold by individuals.

So both of you are right. But you aren’t talking about the same thing.

I don't know if this proves a point either way but this is the type of nonsense that is turning me off. Sellers are just getting ridiculous but fools are still falling for it
Screenshot_20220424-011413_Reverb.jpg

timbuck2

Anybody having a hard time selling anything for anywhere near your original asking price? I'm seeing all kinds of things in the emporium not moving or getting the price marked down numerous times. Inflation making it hard for anyone to buy gear, is that what it is?
depends what it is...i am seeing 40_ yrs old guys with these NEW rubicon 4 door jeeps everywhere..i mean its like the mid life crisis vehicle now vs when it was a porsche or vette. My neighbor just got 2 rubicons decked out and a huge boat..i mean huge...and we are in colorado..go figure. I find the jeeps fugly
Anyhow my point is i still see people spending $$$ left and right..home dept is packed daily...house painters are charging 5/6k to 11k and getting it(booked solid)- landscapers are booked till sept...I mean its really strange. Guys with money are buying gear for sure.

timbuck2

Lots of used stuff where I am (Oregon), but no deals. Lots of stuff for unrealistic prices. When the local Guitar Centers are the best sellers around, you know the market is goofy.
Craigslist here is lame...everyone thinks their junk is worth what it was new. Its rather silly really..and stuff sits for months if not yrs. Reminds me of music go round and the junk on their floors that doesnt move cause they have that same mentality and i go in and see much of the same stuff a year later- that is sad...if it was me i would want to keep stuff moving so it stays fresh in my store.

RicOkc

I have a Boss Chorus pedal that has been listed for like $30 under normal Reverb price for like 6 months without selling. During covid, the longest anything took was like two weeks. It's the very last of a long list of gear I'm selling off. Not sure if that means the market is drying up or if people in my area just arent into pedals.

I paid $25 for my Boss Super Chorus in the original box.

pepedede

Because it is expensive custom shop or custom builders, specs etc.. Every one does not have 5000 or 4000 dollars to spend at TGP emporium.
That's often the problem with a lot of guitars, not just custom shops or custom builders. Does it have the specs you want?. I've been looking for a Jackson rr24 for a while, but I don't want a quilt top, floyd, and reverse headstock. especially purple quilt and gold floyd. crackle finish either.
s-l400.webp

Top Bottom