Is the value I heard for Cunetto era strats correct?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Shemp, Jul 30, 2008.

1. Shemp

Shemp Member

I heard recently that Cunetto era Relic Strats are going for anywhere between $3000 and $4500 depending on desirability. Mine is a 1998 custom order* 1960s Relic in Seafoam Green, with flamed maple neck and a rosewood board. I have some of the case candy and the COA.

Is that value possible in this market? I have Fralins in it now, should I be putting the Custom Shop pups back in it?

* Vince posts on another board I belong to and I asked him about it a few years ago. His comment was "I can only remember doing one or two Seafoams back then. It wasn't a standard Custom Shop color so it must have been a special order."

Btw, I'm not looking to sell it, it's the best strat I've ever played. I'm just curious about the value.

Last edited: Jul 30, 2008
  2. johan

johan Member

You don't have to install the pickups but if you still have them that's good. All issues or mods will lower the value.
    IMHO - A Sea Foam Green 60's Strat (Cunetto era Relic) is closer to 4500 than 3000.

Standard Cunetto reliced Nocasters and Strats go for 3000 and up.

3. Shemp

Shemp Member

I just checked to see what I had.

I bought the Fralins (Blues with Steel Pole Bridge) on a custom wired harness from Acme, with a blender pot. The original CS harness, pups, pots and switch are screwed onto the Acme shipping template. Plug and play either way.

I forgot about the tremolo ashtray, and the grey cord! Those are still in the case along with the COA. The only thing missing is the original Fender polishing cloth that came with it.

This guitar has done a lot better than my 401K.

4. buddastrat

buddastrat Member

All the strats I've seen have been well over $3K lately. A custom color like yours will be even higher. great strats.

5. clothwiring

clothwiring Supporting Member

Yes, I own a Cunetto Era and they have gone up in value. Last I checked mine was estimated around 3k.

Here's a pic of mine...

[​IMG]

6. JMintzer

JMintzer Burned Out Mod

They are a bit soft right now. Flip-it-Fast has flooded the market in recent months... :(

IMO, you are dead on in your price assessment...

Jamie

7. JDouglee

JDouglee Member

My '98 Relic is JS modded, and is an amazing strat (I don't care about resale). Interesting to know though thanks.

8. bluesjuke

bluesjuke Disrespected Elder

Shemp, How are you doing?

Vince also posts here.