Is the Z Route 66 A Pedal Friendly Amp?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Josh O, Dec 19, 2005.

1. Josh O

Josh O Member

Now that I'm lined up with some sweet pedals for me, I'm finding that my Matamp 1224MKII just isn't cuttin' it. It's getting to be so hard to dial in a nice chimey clean, it doesn't seem to like my Keeley Compressor and the list goes on. I was enamored by this's amp versatility as far as Class A/AB, different wattage selections via pushbutton etc. Well, I think the honeymoon is over!!

Is the Dr. Z Route 66 a pedal friendly amp? I am using the following:

Teese Wizard wah
    Keeley Compressor
    Keeley Fuzz Head
    Keeley Twilight mod MT-2
    HBE Psilocybe

My Fuzz Head sounds better with some grit from an amp or another gritty pedal in front of it and I'm thinking of getting Keeley's modded DS-1 for my Marshall tones so all I really need this amp to do is sound sweet clean at bedroom level and a little above, enough to keep up with a normal hitting drummer and bass player in a small room when played through a 1x12 cab. The Route 66 seems like it might be right in the power department (33 watts) where I can goose up the volume a bit and not worry about the amp breaking up. Big key with the Fuzz Head is it likes Class A amps. Don't know if the Z is or not.

If the Z is not a good fit, how about the Fuchs Blackjack 21 or Groove Tubes Soul-O-50?

2. Laroosco!

Laroosco! Member

Extremely pedal friendly!!! It has tons of headroom

It's the best fuzz amp I've ever played.

3. ducmike

ducmike Silver Supporting Member

Z amps are known for their ability to take pedals. I don't think I have found a pedal that my Rt66 disagrees with. It's class AB though. I don't think you'll have a problem keeping up with a loud drummer. The tone controls are interactive and add gain above noon. Keep them below noon, and you can get some great clean tones. I like to run the trebel at 3:00, bass at noon and volume from noon up to get some thick overdrive.

4. Mr.Hanky

Mr.Hanky Supporting Member

The 66 is THE pedal friendly amp!

If the 66 can't compete with your drummer he needs to be shot and put out of our misery.

And yes, I do own one and have for some time now, it is a great amp.

5. Maction

Maction Member

I have a Fuzz Head that I use with my Route 66.

I think they sound great together, even though it isn't true Class A. IMHO, the Fuzz head sounds good with any tube-rectified amp, whether it is true class A or not.

Like Laroosco!!! said (and thanks again for a sweet amp!), there's a lot of headroom. Since the Fuzz Head can really boost your signal, you might have a problem dialing in unity gain. I pretty much use mine for solos, so that isn't and issue for me.

I also have my Route set to be crunchy, with the treble and bass pretty high, so I'm not sure of exactly how the Fuzz Head will interact with amp set up for pristine clean, but I'm thinking it could be tweaked using the internal trimmers.

Hope that helps!

6. MightyGuru

MightyGuru Member

The most pedal friendly amp I've owned....especially for fuzz and OD FX.

7. jack butler

jack butler Member

don't really know why but it seems that every front loaded ef86 amp takes pedals like a champ!
    someone with knoledge can probably explain why. :BEER

8. The Whiz

The Whiz Member

I thought Matamps were supposed to be quite pedal friendly! Well, I learn something new every day.

Yeah, get a Route 66. I've got a Z28 and am always considering picking up a Route 66 too.

9. tga-3

tga-3 Supporting Member

I believe the EF 86 provides a great deal of clean headroom in the preamp section. I had a Route 66 and although they take pedals well, I much preferred the amp opened up or pushed with just a boost.
    Rick

10. myles111

myles111 Member

The Z-28, Route 66, KT-45, and Delta 88 share a single pentode for their front end. They are all some of the most pedal friendly amps every made. A pentode will not compress and overdrive in the same manner as a triode.

Now don't thing that just because an amp has a 6267/EF86 in the front end it will be pedal friendly! This is usually the opposite case. Dr. Z implements his EF86 in a much different manner than just about anybody else.

11. GuitarBrent

GuitarBrent Member

I've owned the Route 66 for 4-5 years now, and cranked up with my NKT Sunface with sundial, it can do that Eric Johnson Fuzz Faced, browned out sound to a T. Every kind of pedal, and I've owned tons over the years, sounds phenominal with the Rt 66. Plugging straight in and cranking her is also a god-like tone. The thing cleans up to so many different shades of dirt, it's like having 5 different ODs on your board. :cool:
    The overall sound is like a higher wattage tweed amp, mixed with a JTM45 Marshall, with a sprinkle of Hiwatt clarity IMHO. Through a 15" speaker, it sounds like a tweed pro. Through a 2X12 with Celestions, it's BEANO album all the way. With 4X10"s, it's tweed Bassman. Always a very tight bottom end, and again a touch of clarity and ringing quality in the upper mids that reminds me of my old and long sold vintage Hiwatt DR504.

12. enharmonic

enharmonic Old Growth Gold Supporting Member

The Dr. Z is one of the most pedal friendly amps I ever owned/played. It liked everything. The only other amp that was like that was my Harry Joyce Custom 50. My favorite OD pedal with the Z was an SIB Echodrive with a 5751 instead of a 12AX7.

My Wizard Modern Classic is definitely picky, but when I find something that works, it really works! :)

13. arniez

arniez Supporting Member

The answer to your question is clearly yes! My Z28 hasn't met a pedal it didn't like, although there were some I didn't. It seems a little strange that you would pick an amp to match your pedals as opposed to pedals to match the amp. An amp is a much more expensive piece of gear. Do you not like the basic tone of your amp or does it not have enough versatility foro you without the effects? Not trying to stir up any muck but it just seems so much easier to change pedals than amps to me.
    ArnieZ

14. nashvillesteve

nashvillesteve Member

+1 on the Z amps, my Ghia loves pedals.

15. myles111

myles111 Member

Steve,

The Ghia has a pretty high gain triode front end. If you think it likes pedals try one of the Doc's pentode front end amps such as the Z-28, Route 66, KT-45 or Delta 88. You will find you can crank the pedal output much higher and the front end does not squash or compress. The Z-28 and a Carmen Ghia in an A/B rig is an almost unbeatable combination ... the Z-28 with no pedal on for cleans, the CG on at 11:00 or so for rock blues crunch and then back to the Z-28 with a high gain pedal for the hard rock tones. If you use one of the amp switchers too you can run both heads into a single cab for a killer compact rig that can do just about everything.

16. ButchR

ButchR Komet Player Gold Supporting Member

The RT 66 sounded great with every pedal that I put in front of it. Great amp!

17. Serious Poo

Serious Poo Armchair Rocket Scientist Graffiti Existentialist Gold Supporting Member

+1 on the Route 66 being pedal friendly. Clean boosts sounds fantastic, and all of the overdrive and distortion pedals I've tried sound very natural. FWIW, my all-time favorite overdrive through the Route 66 is an old Marshall Guv'nor pedal ala Gary Moore.