Is the zendrive a ts type pedal? andis the mjm the definitive ts?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by 59Vampire, Jan 20, 2008.

1. 59Vampire

59Vampire Silver Supporting Member

2. Rocked Star

Rocked Star Member

3. Rocked Star

Rocked Star Member

4. Burst59

Burst59 Member

5. geetarman

geetarman Member

Is the zendrive a ts type pedal? NO

andis the mjm the definitive ts? It's one of the best clones out there.

6. 59Vampire

Thank you! and I too, want a pony:JAM

7. Uma Floresta

Uma Floresta Senior Member

Actually, yes, it is based on a TS, but it's voiced quite differently, and uses Mosfets for clipping (in first version, anyway).

8. jpagey

jpagey Member

I've seen the schematic and tested the first Mosferatu AND Zendrive pedals. I also own the first Mosferatu M2 (2 Mos' in 1) and the first ZD/Mos 2 in 1 pedal. The Zen Drive IS NOT ts based.
    Neither are the Barber Burn Unit, the Barber BU EQ (both have dumble settings), Menatone Howie, Ethos or the Jetter dumble pedal - all pedals that cop the dumble tone/vibe.

I think the rationale that most pedals are ts based is flawed thinking. Some people include the Foxrox ZIM as a ts based pedal. Really? With the Tar + (MXR Dist +/Rat), Big Muff, Octavia and/or Fuzz Face cards it is ts based? Those four pedals aren't on anyone's ts based list, so how could the ZIM with those cards be on such a list? As Dave Fox states: "The Fat Fuzz ZIM card consists of a medium gain Silicon NPN FuzzFace circuit". http://www.foxroxelectronics.com

9. Uma Floresta

The tone controls are quite different, but the rest is quite TS-like - I suppose that might be enough for some people to say, not a TS-variant. Doesn't matter much either way - but you could make a Zendrive using a TS kit from BBB or BYOC board, with a few mods, FWIW. Zendrive seems like a good deal, though.

The Foxrox Zim concept is really brilliant - and it's only a TS clone if you have the TS cards that Dave sells. It can be many different pedals, depending on the card.

I don't know about the rest of the pedals you mention. Except the Howie is likely very closely based on the actual Dumble amp circuitry.

10. 59Vampire

11. FloridaSam

FloridaSam Member

12. Uma Floresta

Looking at the schematic again, it's very simple and in the general "TS style," but I think the tone control is different enough to say, it may be related, but it's not strictly in the TS family. In my opinion. Others may disagree.

Again, not that it matters.

:horse:horse:horse:horse:horse:horse:horse

13. madsr

madsr Member

the mjm pedal may be ts based, but as the owner of quite a few ts type of pedals(including a couple of actual ts808's a ts9's), sonically the MI Audio blues boy and the hbe power screamer are closer than the mjm IMO. The best bet though is to get a keeley or analogman modded ts if that's what you're going for. This opinion is based on a few years of trying lots of ODs. As far as the Zen I can't comment as of yet but I am on the list!

14. jpagey

jpagey Member

You might want the check thread you started and "look at the schematic" again, there you claim the Zen Drive is "OD-1 based"/cloned/carries the gene, not "ts-9 based"/cloned/carries the gene.

"The Brood
    Green = carries the TS gene
    Blue = carries the OD-1 gene
    * = disputed by someone, needs to be verified one way or the other
    ...Hermida Zendrive"

http://www.thegearpage.net/board/showthread.php?t=314907&highlight=tube+screamer

15. 59Vampire

Sam you are one sick mofo. And thats a good thing.

Thanks for the feedback. I had an orig ts808 and it did not play nicely witrh all of my amps. it loved fenders and one particular marshall, but hated my vox and my maikl anp, a marshall 18 watt clone so i moved it. now that im pulling out the strat again, im looking for an exact ts type pedal for SRV tones. thanks guys!

16. Uma Floresta

I'll remove it.

17. jpagey

jpagey Member

Thank you.

I am sure Alf appreciates it.