Is the Zoom MS100BT Discontinued?

huutevar

Just noticed that both Sweetwater and Musician's Friend don't seem to be carrying it anymore.

fretless

Silver Supporting Member
It's an extremely cool and versatile pedal. It's funny though - I just rarely end up using mine. It's abilities are super deep and it's not hard to use. I can't explain it. I usually just plug and play with a simple board. Actually I've been thinking about selling it as it just sits in its box.

huutevar

I've got a couple of patches on the G3 that I use once in a blue moon and I currently have a MS-70CDR on my pedalboard, so I've been thinking about getting a MS-100BT and combining the patches I have on the G3 and on the MS-70CDR. I'm not sure I would want to get it if it isn't going to be supported in the future, though.

jrockbridge

The Zoom MS100BT is available brand new at Amazon and eBay.

I haven't seen any information that would suggest it has been discontinued. However, I wouldn't be surprised if it becomes officially discontinued soon. It's a mature product at this point with lots of add-ons available through the App Store. Even when it goes discontinued, I'll bet the add-ons continue to be available.

Last edited:

john lan

Not a fan :) ?
I find my self thinking that I find a pedal that is highly controllable much more useful then one that might sound better ( my example is the zoom b1xon sounds better at some delays and reverbs (and other fx) but the control ability I have with a boos gt10 makes me keep the zoom in the box) those multistomp pedals have even more fx then the b1xon but the control ability is ridiculously bad for a multifx

huutevar

Even when it goes discontinued, I'll bet the add-ons continue to be available.

That is a factor. Part of the appeal is thinking there will be new effects to download.

I find my self thinking that I find a pedal that is highly controllable much more useful then one that might sound better ( my example is the zoom b1xon sounds better at some delays and reverbs (and other fx) but the control ability I have with a boos gt10 makes me keep the zoom in the box) those multistomp pedals have even more fx then the b1xon but the control ability is ridiculously bad for a multifx

True, the form factor isn't that useful as a primary effects unit, where different effects need to be switched on and off efficiently. Mainly I would use it as a delay pedal and tuner, plus it might be good as a catch-all for effects I wouldn't use very often, or as a backup in case something else in the chain failed.

john lan

I dont think any updates will be coming for the old generation, only for the new ones g5n g3n g3xn

jrockbridge

That is a factor. Part of the appeal is thinking there will be new effects to download.

I wouldn't count on new amps or fx being released for it. However, the list of available amps and fx is impressive IMO. There is nothing else like it in the market right now especially in that small size. One downside to the Blue Tooth MS100BT is that there is NO option for midi control. By contrast, the Zoom MS50G, MS60B, and MS70CDR can all be controlled via the mini USB with the right type of midi controller setup.

Tmidiman

Great pedal. Noting else is in its size and depth. Time to get a backup ASAP. If they officially kill it I'll release a few settings I've been holding on to.

If they went the MS-100BTn route I'd get one "IF" it has the amps and effects I need. Just 2 amps and one Cab for a third amp. Thing is the G5 is better at giving my what I need than the G5n.

Tmidiman

It's officially discontinued, and all the FX available from the app are now FREE!

Time to add some new fxs to mine.

Tmidiman

Recently tweeted by Zoom:

116 effects is all free of charge! 116 on the apps for MS-100BT "StompShare" effects are all free. From the legendary fighter until the classic effects, enjoy fully zoom.co.jp/ja/StompShare_… #マルチストンプ #エフェクト無償

I didn't translate the Japanese twitter links.

mattball826

They went the route of other co's and only support via iOS. Bzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzt
Alienating more than half of tablet and phone users of other products and OS's was a mistake.

From dig mixers, to multieffects, to stomp fx. Forced into proprietary iOS was not the best move.

jrockbridge

They went the route of other co's and only support via iOS. Bzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzt
Alienating more than half of tablet and phone users of other products and OS's was a mistake.

From dig mixers, to multieffects, to stomp fx. Forced into proprietary iOS was not the best move.

iOS was developed from the start with music processing in mind. iOS is practically a universal platform that supports real time music processing and makes musician apps possible. Developing a musician app for Apple iOS is easy compared to any alternatives. For example, a developer might choose to write only 3 versions of an iOS app which could support more than 80% of the users of Apple iOS. There is no other phone/tablet platform like Apple iOS.

By contrast, Android is all over the map. There are more than 24,000 Android devices with a plethora of different Android OS's. Only some Android phones/tablets are even capable of running musician apps in real time. More important, developing an app for Android requires MANY different versions to cover different AOS versions. This makes it very costly to develope apps for Android. The dynamics of Android make it impractical to develop musician apps. To top it off, many Android users expect apps to be free.

Angry Birds was one of the more succesful game apps developed for smart phones and tablets. But, the majority of money was not made from the app sales. Versions of the Angry Birds game app were available for FREE. The majority of wealth created from the popularity of Angry Birds was made from all the merchandising of t-shirts, pillows, coffee mugs, etc.

There is no reason to take any of these facts personal. Nobody is shunning non-Apple phones because of elitism. Apple built a music/musician platform in iOS early on. The Apple iOS platform is more universal than any alterantives. Apple has the majority of exclusive musician related app development because of the practicality for the developers. Android dwarfs Apple in popularity but it simply is not easy nor practical to develope musician related apps for it.

Perhaps, all this will change in the future. If Android and AOS become more universal in the future, this whole dynamic could shift. Certainly, any company would rather have the number of customers supported under AOS vs Apple iOS. The practicality for developers is just not there at present.

Last edited:

mattball826

iOS was develped from the start with music processing in mind. iOS is practically a universal platform that supports real time music processing and makes musician apps possible. Developing a musician app for Apple iOS is easy compared to any alternatives For example, a developer might choose to write only 3 versions of an iOS app which could support more than 80% of the users of Apple iOS. There is no other phone/tablet platform like Apple iOS.

By contrast, Android is all over the map. There are more than 24,000 Android devices with a plethora of different Android OS's. Only some Android phones/tablets are even capable of running musician apps in real time. More important, developing an app for Android requires MANY different versions to cover different AOS versions. This makes it very costly to develope apps for Android. The dynamics of Android make it impractical to develop musician apps. To top it off, many Android users expect apps to be free.

Angry Birds was one of the more succesful game apps develped for smart phones and tablets. But, the majority of money was not made from the app sales. Versions of the Angry Birds game app were available for FREE. The majority of wealth created from the popularity of Angry Birds was made from all the merchandising of t-shirts, pillows, coffee mugs, etc.

There is no reason to take any of these facts personal. Nobody is shunning non-Apple phones because of elitism. Apple built a music/musician platform in iOS early on. The Apple iOS platform is more universal than any alterantives. Apple has the majority of exclusive musician related app development because of the practicality for the develpers. Android dwarfs Apple in popularity but it simply is not easy nor practical to develope musician related apps for it.

Perhaps, all this will change in the future. If Android and AOS become more universal in the future, this whole dynamic could shift. Certainly, any company would rather have the number of customers supported under AOS vs Apple. The practicality for developers is just not there at present.
Initially iOS had a huge stranglehold and mfg's wanted to jump at the pie. Then quirky shii happened, things out of the MI mfg's hands.. ie lets change the connectors used rendering products unusable to new iPads. Lets change the physical shape and size of iPads of which previous MI design products were made to fit only previous gen iPads. There's a shii ton of reasons becoming involved in a proprietary design product was going to limit shelf life.

Android market never was intent on MI anything. It was more user customizable for business solutions. Now it's a Google marketplace that has expanded far into Apple's market.

Considering Mackie and other digital mixers were only iOS initially, and along comes Behringer with iOS, Android, Mac and PC apps and support which just toppled sales numbers of other iOS based products...

It's not a dig at Apple, it's a dig at mfg's for not providing more options. Look at the crap Line 6 is now taking with it's SpiderV line that alienated Win and Mac users from the editor forcing them into mobile apps. Not as many people jumping to buy that product now and the app is continued source of negative comments and product returns.

If Line 6 created a Win Mac app, that would create a user friendly experience for not just the SpiderV, but for Amplifi and Firehawk products. They insist mobile only is the way... well, a lot of users hate the app on their phone, its small, touchy to use (can't fine tune), and they don't want to be forced to buy a tablet. Line 6 seems to think otherwise. Digitech did too with the iPB10 and we saw what happened to that. We see what has happened to Zoom BT series, and Digitech iStomp. Alienating a group of consumers with any proprietary product isn't going to pan out.

mattball826

iOS was developed from the start with music processing in mind. iOS is practically a universal platform that supports real time music processing and makes musician apps possible. Developing a musician app for Apple iOS is easy compared to any alternatives. For example, a developer might choose to write only 3 versions of an iOS app which could support more than 80% of the users of Apple iOS. There is no other phone/tablet platform like Apple iOS.

Angry Birds was one of the more succesful game apps developed for smart phones and tablets. But, the majority of money was not made from the app sales. Versions of the Angry Birds game app were available for FREE. The majority of wealth created from the popularity of Angry Birds was made from all the merchandising of t-shirts, pillows, coffee mugs, etc.

There is no reason to take any of these facts personal. Nobody is shunning non-Apple phones because of elitism. Apple built a music/musician platform in iOS early on. The Apple iOS platform is more universal than any alterantives. Apple has the majority of exclusive musician related app development because of the practicality for the developers. Android dwarfs Apple in popularity but it simply is not easy nor practical to develope musician related apps for it.

Perhaps, all this will change in the future. If Android and AOS become more universal in the future, this whole dynamic could shift. Certainly, any company would rather have the number of customers supported under AOS vs Apple iOS. The practicality for developers is just not there at present.

Not to mention musicians are a pretty small margin of the marketplace for apps developers.

jrockbridge

The Zoom MS100BT with an app for iOS and add-ons via iTunes seems to have been an experiment for Zoom. It seems to be the lone Zoom product developed for iOS, so perhaps it was not enough of a success. But, developing the software for iOS likely did not cost them very much money.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom