1. The Rules have been updated regarding posting as a business on TGP. Thread with details here: Thread Here
    Dismiss Notice

Is there a 4x10 Tweed Bassman w/built in reverb?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Rotten, Jan 18, 2008.

1. Rotten

Rotten Silver Supporting Member

Does anyone make one? Or, am I basically looking at a Super Reverb?

2. SatelliteAmps

SatelliteAmps Member

Tweed Bassman and Super Reverb are pretty different sounding amps. There are ways to add reverb to a Bassman. I can't think of any currently being made stock. Might be someone out there though.

3. e-z

e-z Member

Doesn't Clark offer add-on reverb on his tweed models?

4. Heinz W

Heinz W Genuine '66 Relic Gold Supporting Member

Peavey made one in the 70's. Called a Vintage, and came in both 4x10 and 2x12 tweed flavors. I have one of the 4x10 versions and it's a great amp. Very similar to a Bassman 'cept it is a hybrid with a SS pre, and it has reverb. Nice sounding amp but it had some problems last time I tried to use it at a jam. In fact, I like mine so much that I sent it to an amp guru fix her up. Can't wait to get it back.

You may be able to find one for sale if you're patient. There pretty inexpensive too.

5. cameron

cameron Member

I don't know of something that's exactly what you describe. Adding reverb is a pretty big change, so anything that added that feature really couldn't be described as a Tweed Bassman anymore (certainly could be described as "inspired by" or "based on" . . .)

Allen offers a couple amps that might be what you're looking for. The Old Flame is like a Super Reverb, but has a raw knob that you can use to restore some of the gain lost to the tone controls in the preamp and get a more tweed-y sound.

Also his Brown Sugar model has the brownface tone stack with Blackface reverb. Not a tweed bassman clone, by any measure, but might be close to what you want. I don't think he offers that one in a 4x10" model, though.

6. Sean French

Sean French Supporting Member

If a tweed Bassman is what you want,get one and a stand alone Fender or Kendrick reverb unit.
    Just a thought.

7. Rotten

Rotten Silver Supporting Member

That's what I have, although I traded my Bassman RI in a while back to get a guitar that I wanted. I'm looking to get another Bassman RI, but was wondering if there were options out there with reverb so I didn't need to bring my stand-alone.

I like the prices of used Bassman RIs. I think I'll just get one and lug.

8. drbob1

drbob1 Silver Supporting Member

Most Bassman clones that had reverb, had what amounted to a 3 knob fender reverb added before the Bassman circuit (such as the Kendrick). I think Kendrick and Clark would likely build you one now, but it'd be pricey. Cheaper to use your solution...

9. cameron

cameron Member

Very similar except totally different. Really, what was similar, other than the tone stack?

10. m1911

m1911 Member

Victoria will offer one inside the Cabinet.

11. RDM

RDM Senior Member

Not to hijack...but is anyone adding reverb to their 4x10 Bassman (clone or Fender) via a reverb pedal? I was told that Tweed amps don't take to reverb that well. How's it working out for you?

12. blues

blues Supporting Member

Try a victoria bassman. I dont think they need reverb

13. Budokahn

Budokahn Member

I have a victoria bassman and I am a reverb addict. I ended up forgoing the Tube reverb and went with the Sole-Mate by Vanamps it is a great reverb and is the best solution I have found the only reverb I have heard that I like better is the verb on my CARR Rambler and the are very similar.
    Good luck.