Is there a 5w amp that REALLY captures the VOX AC thing?

vanguard

I want a small combo or head around 5 watts that gets the complex, "blizzard of nails," full-range distorto-jangle of a good AC15 or AC30.

I was playing through one of those little VOX AC4 reissue thingies, and it sounded surprisingly good, but maybe a bit too blurry and quick to distort.

Anything out there that is to an AC15/30 as a tweed champ is to a tweed super?

lostpoet2

Silver Supporting Member
Check out the Bad Cat Mini Cat II. I'm not sure if it's exactly what you're describing, but I had a mini cat I that was really nice.

How

Silver Supporting Member

No.

boogiejem

Try a cranked Mesa TA15 on the 5W setting and top boost channel?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

geek-mo

Silver Supporting Member

No.

This. You can't get something for nothing. Part of the AC30 sound is the OT and the tube compliment and you won't get that with a 5 watt amp, no matter what people in this thread may urge to the contrary.

I had an AC4 for a while and it was sort of close, but still fell frustratingly short, so I sold it. Maybe the AC4HW does a better job, but I'm not going to waste any more time or money trying to find out. My AC15HW1X is as low power as I care to go. If I can find one, I'm getting an AC50 next!

Psyfuzz

I want a small combo or head around 5 watts that gets the complex, "blizzard of nails," full-range distorto-jangle of a good AC15 or AC30.

I was playing through one of those little VOX AC4 reissue thingies, and it sounded surprisingly good, but maybe a bit too blurry and quick to distort.

Anything out there that is to an AC15/30 as a tweed champ is to a tweed super?

A lot of the 'AC' sound is an alnico blue running at it's absolute limit, giving extra compression, speaker distortion and harmonics. It's part of the reason Vox's sound so good cranked, not only is the amp giving it everything it's got but the speakers are literally throwing everything they can out at you.

Unless you can find an alnico blue clone with a 5 watt power rating - it can't be done. The 'AC' sound is just something that requires volume, either way you spin it (i.e. MV and attenuators don't help really either in getting that 'true' sound since they will stop the speaker being pushed.)

mgarrison99

Gold Supporting Member
I think the Laney L5T-112 can get you there. I own one and it is a very versatile and great sounding amp. Not a big fan of the top end bite of the Vox, but the Laney does have a Bright switch and overall Tone knob for the amp that should bring you into your desired tone.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom