Is There a Best Pedal for Overdriven Chords

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by ahltarocka, Mar 6, 2006.

1. ahltarocka

ahltarocka Supporting Member

Can anyone recommend a pedal that I can use stricktly for overdriven, chrunchy chords that are not muddy, where each note is clear unto itself. I have owned and tried countless pedals and none do the trick. The closest is the xotic AC Booster.
    I use a Strat Plus with Dimarzio Pickups and an Epiphone Les Paul Elititst through a Mesa Boogie III. I am looking for the Greenday sound although I play mostly classic rock. In my chain I have some great pedals that I use for lead work, however, they all seem to make the chords muddy: Analogman Dynacomp, Eternity, Timmy, Menatone Blue Collar. I have tried many others : all Tube screamers, Hot Cake, Route 66, Keeley Blues Driver, HBE Tube Screamer, Barber Burn Unit and LTD, Voodoo Sparkle Drive, Keeley Fuzz Head just to name a few. I am thinking of calling Sean at Lovepedal to see if he can suggest something. Is there anything out there????

Ahltarocka

2. onemind

onemind Member

FDII Mosfet • Tim • Scot60 More I'm sure, I've found the best thing I can do is back off guitar volume though to gain clarity.

3. dividedsky

dividedsky Member

I don't think there is really a pedal out there that will suit you if you've tried all those and they didn't work. I would also suggest backing off the guitar volume. If my guitar volume is 5 or more, my ODs are too harsh...If I keep it on 3 or 4 it's perfect.

4. David-R

David-R Supporting Member

I'm surprised the Timmy didn't do it. You might try a Barber Silver LTD. With the gain cranked there is still great definition.

5. Cary Chilton

Cary Chilton Senior Member

Tim or Maxon od-9 are my IC chip based Od pedals for crunch clarity by far. The Ultimate best, for real tweed or a plexi tube amp fullness, or even diable IC chip sounding pedals at any imagine continium of OD then the Stage Hog is the way to go...

6. Garygtr

Garygtr Almost as good! Silver Supporting Member

An Emma Reezafratzitz might be a good choice for that, it's definitely not in the Tube Screamer camp.

7. trisonic

trisonic Member

I believe that it is amp dependent - regardless of what pedal you use.
    I just discovered the best amp I've tried so far for note definition on overdriven chords (and I've been playing since '65) and that is the Maven Peal RG88 (no pedal required) - I only wished that I owned it!!!

Best, Pete.

8. jero

jero Member

If all those pedals don't do the trick (the Timmy and Menatone should do it), maybe the problem is not in your pedals but in your amp or guitar. You could try different amp setting, less bass for example, maybe a bit less mid. :AOK

9. funkycam

funkycam Member

A lot of those pedals are voiced for blues/lead:lotsa mids.
    Maybe a different amp voiced in the marshall space is the call.

10. JohnLutz

JohnLutz Supporting Member

Have you tried the Xotic BB? If you like the AC you should really love the BB. It stays articulate throughout the gain range and has a lot tighter low end than the AC.

John

11. ahltarocka

Maybe I am not using the Timmy correctly. For those of you that use the Timmy, what settings do you suggest.

Thanks,
    Ahltarocka

12. ahltarocka

:JAM Maybe I am not using the Timmy correctly. For those of you that use the Timmy, what settings do you suggest.

Thanks,
    Ahltarocka

13. ♫▐▀▄▀▌♫

♫▐▀▄▀▌♫ Member

Volume 12 oclock(ish), Gain 9 oclock, Treble 11, Bass 12. That (I think) is one of my favorite slightly overdrive sounds with the Timmy. I'm using humbuckers, so with singlecoils you might need to adjust the volume etc and your amp is no doubt different but that might be a good starting point.

14. Ben C.

Ben C. Member

I know the Reeza can get a little thick on some amps - a thickness I enjoy but you can't dial it out at higher gain settings if that's what you wanted to do.

I recently got an OKKO Diablo (but it's back in Germany for a re-do on the paintjob!)... and having owned a lot of the pedals mentioned here, that may do the trick given what you've described you're shooting for... it's impressive what you can do with the Feed and Body knobs in conjuntion with Tone (and I turned the internal presence trimmer almost to zero). It's a nice compliment to my Reeza!

Check the clips and see if you like:
    http://www.stompbox.de/sounds_e.shtml

(and Heiko is great to deal with)

-Ben

15. Livid1973

Livid1973 Member

I would look into trying out the MI Audio Blue Boy. I have one and it is very versatile. With the internal controls just about any set-up can be dialed in for any amp/guitar combination. They are discontinued, but I spied one for sale over at the HC Effects Spam page.

16. Grant Ferstat

Grant Ferstat Some guy in obscure bands in a far away place... Silver Supporting Member

I'd also suggest that it could be Guitar/Amp related too.

Like lots of guys I always have treble bleed caps in my guitars so that when you wind back the guitar volume you don't lose all treble & note definition. It helps you get all those lovely semi-clean sounds.

17. Amplite

Amplite Member

I use the Lovepedal Cot 50 set low for crunch chords and I this retains clarity better than any other pedal I've used! Very musical pedal - one knob!!

18. cubba65

cubba65 Member

Menatone TBIAC, without a doubt. Crunch with clarity through all the notes.
    It sounds nothing like a Blue Collar.