Is there a better combination of technique, melody, and catchy songwriting than C.C. DeVille?

I've thought about this - a close second might be Neil Schon who has great technique, a good sense of melody, and he's a great songwriter. But I think C.C. DeVille's songs are catchier.

Eddie Van Halen had great technique and was a great catchy songwriter, but his solos were never very melodic.

David Gilmour, great technique and sense of melody, but Pink Floyd never really had catchy songs, except Another Brick in the Wall Part 2, and I think Roger Waters wrote that one.

Billy Gibbons - great technique and catchy tunes, but not a very melodic soloist.

Jimmy Page, great catchy songs and a good sense of melody in his solos (well, some of them), but not the most technically proficient soloist.

I think of what I'm realizing is that very few people, including myself, ever considered CC DeVille as a serious musician, which is ironic because he excels in the three important areas, and off the top of my head I can't think of anybody else who does. His songs are disregarded as "pop crap" by "serious" rockers, but nobody can argue that they are not catchy. And his solos?

Ampedusa

C76B9551-B29E-456A-B0C5-ED494A111F16.gif

jogogonne

It's too scalar.

Too much of it is just running patterns and then skipping straight to canned licks and rhythmically too bland.

It's like textbook definition of not having transcribed enough.

That said, he was a kid when he was playing this stuff. That's what a lot of people fail to realize. He's probably a much better player now. And the 23 year old CC Deville would wipe the floor with the 23 year old me. Also, there's only so much you can do harmonically over songs like that.

The other problem is he went overboard. Other 80s hair bands had guitarists that weren't that tremendous and they played more simplified melodic solos. Firehouse and Twisted Sister come to mind.

I've thought about this - a close second might be Neil Schon who has great technique, a good sense of melody, and he's a great songwriter. But I think C.C. DeVille's songs are catchier.

Eddie Van Halen had great technique and was a great catchy songwriter, but his solos were never very melodic.

David Gilmour, great technique and sense of melody, but Pink Floyd never really had catchy songs, except Another Brick in the Wall Part 2, and I think Roger Waters wrote that one.

Billy Gibbons - great technique and catchy tunes, but not a very melodic soloist.

Jimmy Page, great catchy songs and a good sense of melody in his solos (well, some of them), but not the most technically proficient soloist.

I think of what I'm realizing is that very few people, including myself, ever considered CC DeVille as a serious musician, which is ironic because he excels in the three important areas, and off the top of my head I can't think of anybody else who does. His songs are disregarded as "pop crap" by "serious" rockers, but nobody can argue that they are not catchy. And his solos?

Honestly, I listen to and ejnoy all the musicians you mentioned a lot more than I have ever listened to any of Poison's or CC's music.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom