1. The Rules have been updated regarding posting as a business on TGP. Thread with details here: Thread Here
    Dismiss Notice

Is there a better deal out there for a top notch guitar than a Historic '58??

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by jpage, Dec 21, 2005.

1. jpage

jpage Silver Supporting Member

I know you have to play them because of Gibson's "renowned" QC, but how cool of a deal is this guitar for $2500? Especially when a "regular" Standard is about the same jack??

God, I've trolled a bit for awhile to see whats out there, and with that kind of money in your pocket, there is really no other choice. With prices on just about everything else going through the roof, it's nice to see them taking this beauty down several hundred.

2. bobeau

bobeau Member

Hmm... I picked up a brand new R7 for under $2k. I'd say that's a better deal... esp. considering I got to play 8 R6/R7/R8s and walked away with the best guitar of the bunch, lightweight (8.6 lbs. on the digital scale in the shop), resonant, punchy, neck not _too_ big, back has some figure. Oh yeah, and I was the very first person to ever touch it :).

Kinda cool to live by one of the largest Historic dealers in the country...

3. Dave Orban

Dave Orban Gold Supporting Member

A used R7 (or better still, an R4) would be MY preference... ;)

4. jpage

Yep, that's what I mean. I live next to the #1 biggest Historic dealer in the country (2004 anyway); it's nice to be able to see which one you bond with.

The R7s and R8s both dropped in $ this year. $2499 is the "accepted retail" for both of these guitars and they are both worth every single penny. Hell, if a Strat can sell for $3-4000, this Les Paul for this $ is insane. Sounds like you got a nice deal too.

To be honest, I seem to find the heavier ones (9-9.5) to be noticeably more resonant. Funny--seven years ago, it was all about "the perfect top". Now it's "the lightest". These dealers all get a kick out of that. If the guitar speaks to you, it's the one. I'm pretty sure SRV, Jimmy Page, Bill Gibbons or Slash didn't pick those famous guitars by the latest "internet fad". They chose those instruments because they were special.

Congrats on finding the right one for you.

5. jpage

I sold my '54 Black Beauty a while back and regret it immensely. I like the goldies too but am just a sucker for the grain (seen Song Remains the Same one too many times I guess...:dude

6. aleclee

aleclee TGP Tech Wrangler Staff Member

Yes, there is. What do I know? I'm not into lesters. :)

7. rockinlespaul

rockinlespaul Member

8. wgs1230

wgs1230 Fully Intonatable Silver Supporting Member

Wait a minute: while there's no doubt that the internet has encouraged more than a little unintentionally comic fetishism (there was plenty of it before the net, too- remember brass nuts, how they were guaranteed to increase sustain?), there's a much more reasonable explanation for the "light weight" demand: an aging market. I think it's safe to say that between the cultural associations and the cost, the bulk of Historic buyers are going to be a bit older than the target average for electric guitars in general. Lots of people reach a point where orthopedic issues come into play, esp. if they're gigging. That's not a fad, it's a concession to a potentially painful reality.

9. jpage

After talking with dealers who now sell over 90% of their gear on the internet, I come to the above conclusion that weight is an "internet fad". The idea that one can tell the difference between a 8.5 lb guitar over a 9.25 lb guitar is a bit of a stretch to this hack, but to each his own I guess.

Weight is tangible, like figure. Tone and sustain are not. Internet buyers like to believe that they are getting "a good one" so they have to fall back on something.

10. VaughnC

VaughnC Supporting Member

Depends on who you're talking to....I have yet to play a Les Paul that sounds better than a good Strat ;) .

11. jpage

Well, I'm not giving up my Strat anytime soon, but I'm just commenting on simple construction and the fact that the Strat is inherently a bolt-together, bargain instrument. Leo made it that way.

12. Praline

Praline Member

Some of the used '58's are really dropping in price on ebay. A few have gone under $2000 from what I hear. That sounds like a fantastic deal to me.

13. TimH

TimH Member

Unless you are smart enough to play an Anderson.

14. bobeau

bobeau Member

The best sounding guitar during that day (to my ears) was a 9.25 lb. R6. I like P90s, but the neck was too much. The R7 I left with was pretty close... it was a far cry better than another R7 I tried at 8.7 lbs. Some of the R8s were also in the same league, it didn't completely blow away the field or anything. Just everything taken into account (fit, finish, fretwork, setup, weight, sound, neck, feel, etc) it was the best guitar I tried.

One thing I really like about light Pauls is balance... after having a 10 lb. standard for many years and trying out a just over 8 lb. R8 on my lap and not having to 'push' the neck down while playing was a revelation. _That_ is primarily the reason I pay attention to the weight. That and my main guitar is a Grosh strat so I'm already spoiled :).

AFA weight being an internet fad, that would surprise me a bit... I think it's generally a high-end guitar thing. Most people don't give a squat about it, but most people don't know how to spot orange peel finishes or sloppy fretwork. For people who are picky with their purchases it's just another thing obsess on.

15. TheArchitect

TheArchitect Guest

There are many as good or better at same or less jack. But I don't worship at Harry's alter.

16. Dave Orban

Dave Orban Gold Supporting Member

Chances are, they chose them because that's what happened to be available... ;)

17. Jason Calieri

Jason Calieri Silver Supporting Member

I'd rather have a Hamer. Or, better yet, a custom guitar (Koll, Thorn, etc.)

18. shallbe

shallbe Deputy Plankspanker Gold Supporting Member

You seem so informed. Who is Harry?

19. The Golden Boy

The Golden Boy Member

Henry, the CEO of Gibson.

Yeah, he saved the company back in the day... A lot of great guitars have come out under his tenure...

But he's no Ted.

:D

20. THROBAK

THROBAK Vendor

New, a Heritage H150-CM is a better value. They are fine, fine guitars but it wont have the resale value of the Gibson R8. I have an R8 2002 flame top and love it but I am going to order a H150-CM soon. I would certainly by a Heritage before a Les Paul Standard.