Is there a better guitar than an R9?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by darchirnoj, Jun 3, 2019.

1. hotrats73

hotrats73 Member

Well.. I own a 2014 R8 and a 2017 Historic Les Paul that is a true historic R8 body (Carmelita) with an R9 neck and no R9s but I guess can I agree with you anyway.

2. tfblaster

tfblaster Supporting Member

Is there a better guitar than an R9?

Any Fender style guitar.

woof* and motokev like this.
  3. motokev

motokev Member

I like COMFY guitars and the LP is not one of them. So, yeah there are better guitars.

tfblaster likes this.
  4. dbeeman

dbeeman Gold Supporting Member

Some things should not be shared ... or seen

mikebat likes this.
  5. MKB

MKB Silver Supporting Member

The best LP I've played since my obsession began in 1979 was a R9 in the Gibson booth at a guitar show a few years ago. I handed it to my Gibson hating friend that was with me, and he loved the guitar so much he is still trying to get one. It converted him from Strats and acoustics. But it wasn't so good that it makes me think less of my 2010 Trad Plus, which is spectacular and close enough to make me happy.

The overall best guitar I have owned is a Charvel Guthrie Govan; so versatile and all tones are amazing, and the playability and feel are unparalleled. I'm still a stone cold Gibson freak, but would actually rather have the GG than the R9, as it is as excellent in its own way, and much more versatile tonewise.

6. mikebat

mikebat Member

From your lips to God's ear. ;)

That said, you have to laugh at how stupid you were growing up, or you have remained stupid because....young = stupid.

7. Gasp100

Gasp100 Supporting Member

8. DreamTheaterRules

DreamTheaterRules Former Lyricist for Calhoun Tubbs

Yes, there are a bunch of them. They're called PRS. Feel, playability, quality, weight...

9. davess23

davess23 Member

I find myself more into playing my R6 than my R8. I like them both but if I had to keep only one, I'd definitely go with the R6.

10. flysky578

flysky578 Member

You can always rip a floyd in afterwards :rolleyes::confused:

11. Gasp100

Play something other than an LP and get back to us.

12. Gasp100

After owning at least 3 PRSi and many more Gibson LP's and now being in a nice position to own one good example of each (not R9 level mind you) I can honestly say for myself, that they are very DIFFERENT guitars. My PRS and LP bring different things to the table and if I relied on humbuckers often I could definitely see wanting one of each.
    In fact, right now I'm keeping both and I'm a Tele player.

13. shallbe

shallbe Deputy Plankspanker Gold Supporting Member

Ronno understands.

[​IMG]

paintguy likes this.
  14. Kenny Blue

Kenny Blue Silver Supporting Member

I don't know... I have had 6 Gibson Les Pauls over the last 48 years. My current LP is an R8 that I have had now for 20 years. I have never had a broken headstock.... on any Les Paul, of any of my Gibsons. Yes I am careful with them. But that's not THAT difficult really.

DV52 likes this.
  15. Jim S

Jim S Silver Supporting Member Supporting Member

:spit

Killed_by_Death likes this.
  16. rwe333

rwe333 Member

Growing up hearing the likes of Al DiMeola, Robert Fripp and Jan Akkerman (even John Sykes & Peter Frampton) playing black Les Paul Customs, they always appealed to me. Have played some good ones, some less so...
    My main guitar was '78 LP Deluxe mutt for about 10 years - stolen in '96, I got it back in '2016! (20 years)!!! After some updates - new frets, pickup swaps, new bridge - back to no. 1.

Last edited: Jun 4, 2019
    paintguy likes this.
  17. tapeworm

tapeworm Supporting Member

18. lifeson1

lifeson1 Supporting Member

As a matter of taste and practice, it's all very subjective. I have owned a NUMBER of Gibby's, and all had their respective ups and downs. My last was a 2001 R8, which I loved, except for the weight and too much neck shoulder.

So, I bought a Thorn SFC, and never looked back. For me, that's as good as it gets. I love R9's, R0's, and R8's - at the end of the day it came down to comfort, weight, and tonal clarity and roar that a single cut is known for. I'm sure to purists it won't stack up physically, and I have played numerous vintage pieces to know what to expect.

If I wasn't too lazy and could roll around and play every R9 that was around and avail to find my perfect fit, I'm sure I'd be as happy as with my Thorn, but I'd rather just know what I'm getting myself into out of the gate, and not rolling the dice with my expectations outweighing my wallet.

Gibson does magnificent work, and I'm so excited to see what they have coming out of the chute with the current reboot, I can't wait to see what the future holds here. And yes, on paper and spec, there are MANY R9's that pique my interest, but I don't think I will ever buy site unseen again, on that end.

jackthecat37 likes this.
  19. WhiskeyWhiskers

WhiskeyWhiskers Member

Never had an R9, but I did have an R7. In the end I didn't think it was better than a USA model. And call me crazy, but I like the Nashville bridge more than the ABR-1.

20. StummerJoe

StummerJoe Member

Bunker MVP. Tension Free neck. Never needs adjustment.