Is there a better guitar than an R9?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by darchirnoj, Jun 3, 2019.

1. StummerJoe

StummerJoe Member

Bunker MVP. Tension Free neck. Never needs adjustment.

2. TP Parter

TP Parter Member

I'll take my '71 Std over every other electric I've ever played. Gibson Historic or other. It sports two SK Dual Tone II's with 500k push pull pots for volume and tone. Pretty sure I've got .022 and .047 caps in there too.

The P90 bridge/alnico 5 single neck combo is tonal Nirvana for me, but they all get used at some point.

I've played the finish off the neck in multiple places. It is the most comfortable profile ever. Not as thin as my old Ibby or Hagstrom, but definitely on the fast and thinner side of vintage. It feels very close to the carve on my 2011 LP Special Faded, and sleeker than my 2012 SG Std.

Last edited: Jun 4, 2019
  3. Droptopandy

Droptopandy Member

PRS Singlecut! *runs and hides*:D

darchirnoj and paintguy like this.
  4. ScratchyPot

ScratchyPot Member

How to start a Gibson bashing thread on TGP: post a thread about how much you love Les Pauls.

darchirnoj, Alister and Ryno1331 like this.
  5. Windup 43

Windup 43 Supporting Member

R8’s...bigger neck = bigger toan.

Dannyz and darchirnoj like this.
  6. cosmic_ape

cosmic_ape Supporting Member

I have played ONE great, exceptional -really- Gibson R9 before. It made most production guitars out there sound pedestrian in comparison.

And yet, my Nik Hubers are better.

So, there.

darchirnoj and nichd like this.
  7. treedroppings

treedroppings Member

8. JCantrell

JCantrell Member

I haven't played every guitar in existence so I am unable to answer to this question.

9. hunter

hunter Supporting Member

Back when I was Les Paul shopping I was focused on historic models. I liked the sound of every R7 better than every R8, R9 I played. The R7s were so consistently better sounding that I picked up an R7. Maybe looks and price were affecting my hearing. After all, if the price was several hundred higher, it should sound several hundred better, maybe. Can't say for sure why. But as Les Pauls go, my R7 is good. The one exception was a tragic Dickie Betts gold top that still ranks as one of the deadest guitars I have touched but technically not an R7 I guess. These days, I would much rather play my Revstar than my R7. So...

hunter

steam boat and MikeMcK like this.
  10. Sirloin

Sirloin Supporting Member

R8 = better bigger neck. At least they used to be.

11. budglo58

budglo58 Member

A Gibson 335. Any model. Pick one.

12. Sirloin

Sirloin Supporting Member

Bigger necks have usually equated to bigger tone with the historic Gibsons in my opinion.

Windup 43 and xjojox like this.
  13. Alister

Alister Member

I've been playing LP's since 1971, exclusively until probably the mid 80's, always with at least one in possession: Deluxes with the mini-hums, two-ton black customs, Standards, and since the 2000's when I've had the money, a few historics.

I'm partial to the R7's over the 8's and 9's as well, although I also own a 2013 R9 currently; my R7 still prevails.
    I agree it's probably the chunky neck; there's no other variable I can think of. It's not a 'subjective' matter with me, I don't think, either, b/c I don't particularly find the goldtop that visually appealing. (Could be the Duncan Antiquities I put in it, I admit, but I also prefer other R7's I've played.
    That said, my R9 is superb and picked out for me by Mark at Mark's Guitar Loft, a guy who's opinion is reliable to me. It's more "mellow" (custombuckers) than my R7, so it makes a good contrast.
    I am fortunate in my old age...but final word: I, too, prefer 335's at the end of the day.

14. nichd

nichd Supporting Member

Like @cosmic_ape I would give a +1 on Huber- however I've never played an Orca '59 for an honest side x side.

I think if you love an R9- you should focus on other LPs vs other guitars because gibbys can be very different in feel, sound etc. That alone can give you a lifetime of butterfly chasing.

I can tell you my boring 50+ lp journey to number 1- but its self serving and ends with a rare replica. I will say there was a 54 reissue and a couple 57's that I liked more than most R9's. I never bonded with R8 or R0 necks... have owned a few of each. My fave R9 was a recent Brazilian; however the Carmelita neck carve is just a tad small for my liking.

Dannyz likes this.
  15. xjojox

xjojox Tardis-dwelling wanker Gold Supporting Member

All things being equal there may be something to that... but the frequencies at which chunks of wood resonate have to do with lots of things other than the size of the neck. I've had guitars with small necks that sounded huge and guitars with fat necks that sounded thin. Also, when it comes to vintage LP tone... folks tend to like the brighter snappier ones (tele on 'roids) so once again "big" may not be as important as "balanced", "sweet", or any of a number of other verbs.

JLee likes this.
  16. milli vanilli

milli vanilli Member

A USA Jackson Ontario or San Dimas era shredder with a badass paint job trumps an R9 in my book. LOL

Last edited: Jun 5, 2019
  17. hunter

hunter Supporting Member

My R7 actually has a little thinner neck than typical. Somebody at Gibson got a little over zealous with the belt sander that day I guess. Still the big neck is the thing I like least about R7s. Fortunately I am not particularly sensitive to neck sizes. And consistent with your experience, I have a couple of guitars with really thin necks that sound as good as anything.

That preference for brighter and snappier big tele tones? At the risk of incurring the wrath, I am gonna take a chance and claim that is a probably an internet gossip phenomena that took hold. And yes it could currently be a sonic preference. Brighter snappier is definitely a sound pursued by Gibson in relatively recent history as evidenced by their pickup choices in the post 57 Classics era. But it is not something I heard a lot about until the age of internet expertise. I am pretty sure someone with serious research skills could trace the tele on steroids concept back to an origination point, something some important person said, that post dates the initial Les Paul boom by many years. Or maybe prove me wrong which is OK too. I was playing a Les Paul in 1970 and no one I knew ever looked at a Les Paul as a tele on steroids. My room mate had a Les Paul and his brother had a real 59 so Les Pauls were in the air. And I owned a Tele at the time too. I never thought any of em were like a telecaster. But that is just me.

Nigel will tell you Les Pauls were about fat sustain. Hear it?

hunter

Dannyz and xjojox like this.
  18. sidekick

sidekick Supporting Member

After experiencing several historic reissue models over a 15 year period including R9's, my preference, (Les Paul wise) was the Chambered reissues because they are lighter and a tad more 'airy' sounding that suited my ear better. Experienced a couple of replica LP's also.

The CR's went to happy homes after I experienced Gustavsson BM's which are a nod to the old wood Les Paul 50's period having some similarities yet still being different in a pleasing way.

19. MikeMcK

MikeMcK Supporting Member

While there are no hard and fast rules, I've found the same thing... that I'm more likely to be impressed by the sound if the neck is bigger. It's not just Historics... my '59 Junior is a baseball bat and sounds killer.

Last edited: Jun 5, 2019
    Windup 43 likes this.
  20. xjojox

xjojox Tardis-dwelling wanker Gold Supporting Member

Yep! I was there too. We liked them specifically because they were thicker sounding than teles and strats. And... louder LOL. Eventually Gibson started making them heavier, with hotter pickups, because that's what we all wanted. Especially after Larry DiMarzio made a mint by starting the aftermarket pickup craze. How many of those vintage axes had Super Distortion pickups put in? Any guitar tech from the era can tell you loads of stories.

In conjunction with the vintage craze (which was fueled in part by counter-culturalism of the 60's/70's including the conspiracy theories about "the man" ruining Gibbys and Fenders) folks eventually notice that PAF's were sweeter and brighter than the 16k ceramic sledgehammers that became popular later. And of course we don't really need hot pickups with high-gain amplification anyway. So as the prices of 59's went thru the roof, everything about them became sacred, including the lower output PUPs. And I agree, THAT is when the "tele on steroids" thing started. We were focused on the "steroids", not the "tele" part back in the day!

Last edited: Jun 6, 2019
    Dannyz and highwaystar30 like this.