Is there a better guitar than an R9?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by darchirnoj, Jun 3, 2019.

1. customguitars87

customguitars87 Member

I never owned one though I played a few extensively, and you are right in saying it is an incredibly subjective question. There isn't any true consistency even in high cost instruments and one R9 could be "just ok" and another could be absolutely jawdropping. Guitars are best judged on a case by case basis.

I have about 10-12 guitars currently that I would much rather have than an R9, and minus one they all cost way less :).

Doesn't take away the R9s reputation for being an excellent instrument, but we all have our preferences.

darchirnoj likes this.
  2. Jon Silberman

Jon Silberman 10Q Jerry & Dickey Gold Supporting Member

3. sfarnell

sfarnell Gold Supporting Member

Yes, I still own it although I go back and forth about selling it. I love it but I don't like so much money being tied up in one instrument.

I've played a few Yaron LPs and they were all different. Mine sounds like Mick Taylor's '59 when he played with the '72-'73 Rolling Stones. I'd characterize it as balanced with bite. It's the finest guitar that I've played.

JackD, Dannyz and DiPa like this.
  4. clint

clint Member

I love a good Custom Shop Les Paul and have owned several over the years. For whatever reason, I tend to gig with a combination of F-style guitars. It's almost like the Les Pauls are too precious to play out or something. Their design is a little less ergonomic and they tend to be heavier but I just get more mileage out of mainly strats and teles and a pedal or two. For that reason, hard to me to agree that an R9 is better, just different.

Dannyz and darchirnoj like this.
  5. MatZen

MatZen Supporting Member

6. Snail

Snail Member

I searched for a LP for a while, went through a bunch, didn’t really bond with any of them, until I got my R9. Brazilian rosewood fretboard, plays great and sounds amazing. I’ve has it for 10 years now and will never sell it.

It shares joint #1 status with my PRS 513 with a solid rosewood neck, and again Brazilian fretboard. I’m still waiting to come across a Strat or Tele that also feel like “the one” for me, but honestly I haven’t tried that hard because I’m well satisfied with these guitars.

So yes, the R9 is top of the line in my book.

darchirnoj likes this.
  7. Toby Krebs

Toby Krebs Member

A good LP is tough to beat. Especially one with P90s.But this being TGP all it would take would be EVH putting his Holy Grail Hot For Teacher hands on one and you guys would be explaining that the greatest geetar player in the history of the world plays an LP and so should everyone else lol!

I will exit now...

darchirnoj and DiPa like this.
  8. darchirnoj

darchirnoj Member

That’s impressive. I’ll have to check them out.

9. darchirnoj

darchirnoj Member

That’s beautiful!

10. the.godfather

the.godfather Member

I did go looking for a really good R9 a few years back, also considered figured R8's. I wanted something with a more substantial neck profile but after looking for 6-9 months and playing many I couldn't find the 'one' for me. Some were better than others but I could never find one with the right mojo at the right price. I also missed out on a couple where shops had already sold them before I could get there etc.

I lost heart in the end and it has been on the back burner ever since. I will find one eventually though. I might go hunting again towards the end of the year. It's just got to match the perfect Les Paul idea I have in my head.

DiPa likes this.
  11. DiPa

DiPa Constant GAS Silver Supporting Member

The price thing is disheartening for many, new ones are really high and used ones are pretty steep too...

the.godfather likes this.
  12. Kato10

Kato10 Member

My R9 was the favorite of the 50 or so guitars I’ve owned until I purchased my Fano JM6. It is the best guitar I’ve ever owned or played. Not taking anything away from the R9 though, a killer guitar for sure. The JM6 is just more versatile and I am a huge P90 fan also. Never played another Fano but mine is just unbelievable.

13. steam boat

steam boat Supporting Member

The only thing better than an r9 is an r7.

coldengray likes this.
  14. eazywind

eazywind Supporting Member

Me Too. I had been looking for a R9 for awhile and a Kauer Starliner dropped into my lap a year ago. The Wolftone Kauerbuckers are very nice and the guitars weight is perfect etc.... It took me awhile to get to playing the guitar for an extended amount of time/play through different setups etc..., but once I did dial in the tone I was looking for.....wow. Very happy.

15. Scary Uncle G.

Scary Uncle G. Member

I’ve never liked the necks on R9s, so I prefer the R0 (I have 3). That said, a good 335 will give the best LP a run for the money.

bigfoamfinger likes this.
  16. Tonefree

Tonefree Silver Supporting Member

Love my R9, Love my Strats and Tele’s too.

[​IMG]

17. JackD

JackD Gold Supporting Member

Mine was built just before Pete's. I agree with the characterization ("balanced with bite"). Pete, don't sell that thing--you sound so killer playing that baby!!