Is there a better guitar than an R9?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by darchirnoj, Jun 3, 2019.

1. jou ma

jou ma Member

Tokai Love Rock. :banana

stratotastic likes this.
  2. C-4

C-4 Member

I love Red Bank, NJ! Florida now Europe later
    I also have no trouble getting all the way up the neck to the 22nd fret on my LP's. Like anything else, it takes some practice and technique to get to this point, but it's not that hard, if you want to put in the effort.

3. Alchemist XP

Alchemist XP Silver Supporting Member

I've gone through a number of Les Pauls and the two that sound and play the best "for me" are a 71 Deluxe and a plain old Studio I got for $900 in 2003 that just sounds fantastic. Has a less thick sound that just cuts better and the neck just feels perfect.

highwaystar30 likes this.
  4. mikebat

mikebat Member

Mine does, a Kalher.

Just kidding!

But to respond to the OP, good on you. I know it is not the best for me. The burst, the ergonomics, tuning stability, scale length, and how they sound with a clean tone...these are just not for me.

sergiodeblanc likes this.
  5. p19978

p19978 Member

6. MkIIC+

MkIIC+ Supporting Member

R0 for the slim neck.

FredZepp and Dannyz like this.
  7. sergiodeblanc

sergiodeblanc Member

Man... I had a LPC with a Kahler back in the late 80’s. 17 yr old me thought it was the coolest thing. :rolleyes:

8. Guitarworks

Guitarworks Member

Uh....yeah. Lots of stuff out there that works better for lots of people. You may as well ask "Is there any better car than a '59 Chevy Impala??" Well, yes...yes there are....Unless what you're specifically seeking is a '59 Impala.

Kurt L likes this.
  9. BigDoug1053

BigDoug1053 Supporting Member

I have several Les Pauls, but I would not pay what is asked for an R9 - or a Custom nowadays. For a real 50s vibe, IMO you can't beat P90s like in my LP Special DC. I had an 76 Norlin 3PU Custom but sold it during a divorce. When I decided to replace it, I went with an 03 LP Supreme. When I decided to buy a Standard, I went with a recent model Double cut. I will not mod the Supreme beyond the Bigsby I already added, and added Les Trems on my LP Special DC and Standard DC. I am currently installing a 6-way Freeway switch on the Std DC, 500K-ohm pots, and replacing the tone with a bass contour. I find the stock humbuckers in Les Pauls too dark if not muddy - excellent for over drive, but weak weak weak for clean shimmery tones or jangle.

And I love Filter'Trons - the only humbuckers that have a decent high end response. So I would probably buy a Pro Series MIJ Gretsch before I would buy an R9.

Oh, here's my Lesters

e??? likes this.
  10. mikebat

mikebat Member

:)

I can one up you....there exists a VHS tape somewhere with me playing live....in black and white striped spandex. Viva '80's

e???, coffeecupman and sergiodeblanc like this.
  11. BrokenRomeo

BrokenRomeo Supporting Member

I love R9's, I just haven't been able to part with that much cash for a guitar...yet anyways!!

12. Maggie_O

Maggie_O Member

Thanks! It's my dream-come-true guitar!!!

13. 3940bigdaddy

3940bigdaddy Supporting Member

For Gibsons players probably. But having said that I prefer the R0. I had an R8 and currently have a R5 hot mod and the neck is a little bit chunky for me. I have a Class 5 CS LP and the neck is perfect. Its a 60's profile neck (there are diff variations) for sure its not a slim taper. R9 might be their top of the line but certainly not my favorite. R0 for me.

Dannyz likes this.
  14. sergiodeblanc

sergiodeblanc Member

Nah, there’s one of me in spandex on YouTube from around 2008. :oops:

15. WBellman

WBellman Supporting Member

Is there a better Les Paul to capture the classic tones and vibe of the 70s than an R9?

Emphatically NO.

16. saltbird

saltbird Member

If down votes were a thing on TGP, then this comment would go well into the negative, but I've grown to feel the exact same way. The strat neck pickup is great and garners most of the attention as far as Fender neck p/u tones go, but there's something about the Tele neck pickup which, as you stated, just sounds perfect for jazz and blues. I use it just as much, if not more than the bridge pickup, which says a lot for me considering Tele bridge P/Us are arguably the most praised single guitar pickup position ever.

Last edited: Jun 3, 2019
    Advisable Owl and AprioriMark like this.
  17. OutterLimits

OutterLimits Gold Supporting Member

LP's are heavy, have muddy cleans, and stay in tune as much as a Ukulele. Besides that, they are great guitars. :D

I still consider the sound a LP gets through a Plexi style amp to be one of the best tones out there.
    Gave up my LPs for Strats when I was 30, gave up my Strats for Teles when I was 50. Just needed something besides that chunky sound.

All guitars are great, they all do something special ... even the cheap ones.

flysky578 likes this.
  18. Kurt L

Kurt L Member

In the R9’s price bracket, I would prefer a custom built guitar.

For far less, I prefer my Hamer Studio Customs. But it’s not really a price issue, I just prefer them to Les Pauls. (But I like Les Pauls too! I want a black Standard for no other reason than they look so cool!)

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 3, 2019
    Zappatalist likes this.
  19. In Absentia

In Absentia Supporting Member

Better isn’t the word I’d use. It’s not really my bag, but Gibson sells a ton of them, and I’m betting most of those folks would say it was better than a lot of other guitars at that price.

I personally prefer Grosh, PRS, and Suhr. Do I think they’re better than an R9? I sure do.

Does my opinion actually matter? That’s up to the reader.

20. JohnnyBGoode

JohnnyBGoode Member

I prefer Super Strats when it comes to Humbuckers. Even cheaper ones...

programmer likes this.