Is there a better guitar than an R9?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by darchirnoj, Jun 3, 2019.

1. Bossanova

Bossanova Silver Supporting Member

After reading the last 6 pages, I now realize you’re right, and that arguing with teenagers and 48-yr old dudes in their moms’ basements has grown tiresome.

Kidding! Whaddup TGP?!? Maple or Rosewood, DOES IT MATTER THO

gibson3798 likes this.
  2. Comanche5

Comanche5 Member

Just bought an R9 myself and love it. But there is no best guitar. They are simply different. And that difference is a beautiful thing.

DiPa likes this.
  3. tnvol

tnvol Ufologist Silver Supporting Member

I like my R7 better than any R9 I've ever played but that's just preference.

4. LR1400

LR1400 Member

Nope R9 is it.

darchirnoj and Bobbybigbucks like this.
  5. xjojox

xjojox Tardis-dwelling wanker Gold Supporting Member

I like Les Pauls and I like how my hands fall to a good spot for me technically when I hold one. but there were always quirks I didn’t like about the historic reissues. I don’t like period correct frets. There are some subtle things that were just clunky or “wrong” in the originals (pickup rings LOL) and Gibson of course spends all kinds of time and money making them better and better clones, warts and all. All the best wood and workmanship go towards re-creating guitars which, for me, are lacking in a few ways despite overall being amazing. But I like a medium neck, not a bat. I like body contours. I prefer fret wire that’s beefier than vintage correct. I like hardware and plastic parts that flow and actually work aesthetically. I like perfect balance between bridge and neck PUP’s. Lots of picky little things, and perfect clones of 50’s instruments can’t deliver because the originals didn’t.

My R7 sounded glorious, probably one of the best sounding LP’s I ever heard...but that neck was a bat. My R9 (‘99) had large frets....period incorrect but I loved them. Sounded nice but not as nice as the R7. Neck was not as big as the R7 but had very prominent shoulders, uncomfortable for me. I can handle necks in the smaller side of the ‘59 spectrum but alas mine didn’t have one. And it always bugged me that my R7 sounded so much better, even unplugged. Really full and round. So basically I like the level of workmanship that goes into an R9, but it’s not my “perfect” guitar by any means.

Long story short, I started looking for a “better mousetrap” guitar in the LP ballpark but with tweaks that worked for me. A Knaggs Kenai is currently doing the trick. Proper scale length and control layout, 59 neck but not huge, slightly taller frets than most PRS guitars (and certainly beefier frets than R9 Gibbys), crazy good wood, and build quality, no worries. I also considered a Collings City Limits, a Grosh Set Neck, a McInturff Carolina, and a few others. They all work.

Last edited: Jun 3, 2019
    darchirnoj likes this.
  6. darchirnoj

darchirnoj Member

Lol. None taken.

The Thread Question has to be short and generalized (bcuz that all that s$&t doesn’t fit), but I do ask for, more specifically, real-world experience (either long term or short term) with an R9, and what (if anything) did folks rid themselves of said R9 for x-guitar.

Thanks for chiming in.

7. darchirnoj

darchirnoj Member

Thanks for all the replies. I’m just getting to see this and and shocked at the overall number of replies (I feel popular) :).

I love my R9, and don’t necessarily (never say never) plan on parting with it anytime soon. And that sentiment made me wonder why others had and for what reason or guitar.

Perhaps it (new guitar) was something I hadn’t heard of or played (that I could research/try out). That’s how we learn (in many cases), by sharing experiences.

Some interesting answers.
    It seems some of it (others experiences) also depended on the variability of the actual guitar they got (even it was an R9 like the others).

Thank you.

8. DGrig

DGrig Member

Grasshopper. Perception works in many directions. What you perceive as an object is the degree to which you know yourself. Now take you ability to know yourself and make it a gift for others. This is but a stop on the way.

darchirnoj and Tonefree like this.
  9. RicardoDiazHimself

RicardoDiazHimself Member

Talking about other guitars in general? Yeah. There are better guitars.
    Talking about LP types? Yeah. There are better guitars.

darchirnoj and stratotastic like this.
  10. Chris Scott

Chris Scott Silver Supporting Member

Sorry, but that's just a really silly question.

11. AprioriMark

AprioriMark Supporting Member

Yes. And as I articulated in my recent thread, I'm underwhelmed by R9 etc and sold all of mine since my non CS Gibsons have taken their stage time. I swapped the magnets to A3 on my 2006 Classic, and the sound was as good as my R9s (if not better). I like both necks, but being able to dial in the sound with magnet, pot, and cap swaps without caring about devaluing the guitar so much was a clincher.

So, I guess what I'm saying is, yes. Non CS Gibsons modded to my tastes ended up being better than the reissues. Nothing I would want different.

-Mark

12. JackD

JackD Gold Supporting Member

I always wanted a killer "Burst." I found an amazing R9 some years ago. It looked amazing. For some reason, I had issues bonding with the neck shape. Also, the neck pickup was a bit dark. Actually, the overall guitar was a bit dark for my tastes. That said, it was still cool and it fit the bill for a nice Burst.

.... then I played George Metropoulos' Gil Yaron Burst. Holy cow--night and day!! Played, looked and sounded amazing. The neck profile was a spot-on '59. The guitar sounded like a Tele on steroids (check out Pete Thorn's demo). I went home that day and listed my R9 for sale. I then went on a Yaron quest. My first GY guitar was a '59 Burst. It is stunning!! I now have 5.

Yes, the R9 is a nice guitar. I just found the Yaron Burst to be head and shoulders better.

13. Bodhisattva

Bodhisattva Member

I ran the racks searching for an R8 or R9, but couldn't get used to those necks. R0 for me. Best guitar i've owned But i loved the tone of some of the R8 and 9s i played and would definitely have bought one of those but for the baseball bat necks

darchirnoj likes this.
  14. Tonefree

Tonefree Silver Supporting Member

Damn, did I just take a bong Hit? :dunno

Bobbybigbucks likes this.
  15. Killcrop

Killcrop Supporting Member

Totally ridiculous thread. And yes, the R9 is the greatest guitar, in all the land.

DiPa likes this.
  16. Rod

Rod Tone is Paramount Silver Supporting Member

A great 59 LP will have very clear but punchy rhythum tones as well as a fantastic fat but well defined singing lead tones.. (in the hands of a great player into a good tube amp). Listen to Super Session. Mike Bloomfield’s pawn shop 59 strait into a Twin Reverb.. or Duane Allman LP strait into a Marshall 50 bass head... unusual combination. Sort of a well balanced mix of highs, mids and lows...great dynamics will abound with no weirdness.. I realized this years ago when I owned a real one...the great sounding ones can be used for playing country, rock, jazz, blues ect..... some of the reissue Gibson 59’s have a similar quality of sound. The craftsmen know how to pick out the best woods for that balance.. the prices and the fancy flame tops? I don’t know... lots of collectors buy em and just look at them and don’t want to scratch em cause they have bought a $6000 guitar. Well, it’s a guitar and it should be played. I missed my old one a lot and couldn’t justify the Cost of a Gibson , or a Gustavson or Bartlett in the 10k range:confused:
    I found this guy, Larry Corsa in PA that hand builds his own version that says Corsa on a different Headstock. (He’s not building forgeries) and he uses the correct woods used in the real 1959 LP’s . Honduras mahogany neck and body.. (Gibson uses African mahogany) Eastern maple top. (Gibson I think is using Western, which sounds a bit different). Brazilian Rosewood fingerboard (I think Indian sounds about the same).. at any rate, his Manaleshi LP sells for $3300 with hard case and imho, worth the $$... thin finish which again, just my opinion, but really helps achieve the tones I described above.... so it’s a great alternative if you don’t or can’t afford a great LP but want those great tones at about 1/2 the price of a Gibson.. And after all this being said, it’s still just a Les Paul, and I’d love to try out a few Kauers someday:)

Last edited: Jun 3, 2019
    dbeeman likes this.
  17. 86runner

86runner Silver Supporting Member

Oh man, you'll love it! The top carve and slight offset make it hang better and not cut into your forearm so much. I just picked up a pink one with T Armonds and it's just as killer as my burst! I have a black 2 P90 (staple neck, spec'd like a 55 Custom) underway as well. Just killer, killer guitars!

GaryMcT likes this.
  18. DiPa

DiPa Constant GAS Silver Supporting Member

Are the Yaron bright? I guess brighter than a R9?
    The R9 should have some dark elements, they arent Teles, so for me they are the real thing, the dark element but also the looks, the feel...
    I guess everyone their own ...

JackD likes this.
  19. DV52

DV52 Member

Yep. It is a known fact that %90 of the have massive headstock problems. It's amazing they even make it to the stores for people to try out . How do they fix hem all before they get there ? They must have a dedicated repair team at the factory for this alone .

Last edited: Jun 4, 2019
    DiPa likes this.
  20. Bobbybigbucks

Bobbybigbucks Gold Supporting Member

Only an R9 will make the guitar players in your audience say "OOooo"....."AAahhh" so that's why I bought one. :rotflmao

I think the best Gibson LP re-issues are very comparable guitars to their original examples.

Last edited: Jun 4, 2019
    shane8 likes this.