Is there a better instrumental rock guitar record than P&W?

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by T Dizz, Feb 12, 2020.

1. abracadabra

abracadabra Member

picking 5 in no particular order:

Passion and Warfare
    Rising Force*
    Surfing with the Alien
    Introspection
    Blow by Blow

I love P&W, but despite the fact I think P&W is better overall, if I could only keep one Vai album it would be Alien Love Secrets

* surprising no mention of Yngwie so far in this thread!

2. Will Chen

Will Chen Member

See a lot of references to Satch's Surfing, which undoubtedly was ground breaking. But my fav album of his is the self titled "red" album.

FuzzyAce, d95err and rizla like this.
  3. MBreinin

MBreinin Supporting Member

I had it in my car on constant play when it came out. I was into instrumental rock at the time as I was learning guitar in earnest and these guys were the pinnacle for me, something I hoped to obtain and never, ever did. LOL. I was also a total SRV nut, and that was far more obtainable than Satch, Vai, Tony Mac, Danny Gatton or Yngwie. Speaking of which, I am going to have to put Rising Force in the list of considerations, even though there are songs with lyrics.

I will say this though, I never liked Zappa and I find that side of Vai's music as something I am unable to listen to. I go for his melodic work and my favorite song from the album was and is, Blue Powder. I think it has a great mix of dizzying speed, slow melodic passages and just enough "Vai weirdness" to be the standout.

Surfing With the Alien and Not of this Earth were top favorites back then, as was Ah Via Musicom (I saw Eric many times back then, when he was at his peak), but I also loved Beck's and DiMeola's groundbreaking work from the '70s. I also wore out Blues Saraceno's first CD, he has always had a great mix of technical brilliance and, well, Blues swing. I find that mixture very appealing.

4. NorCal_Val

NorCal_Val Member

if “Rising Force” had been all instrumental it would be in my top 5, along with “Ah Via Musicom”.
    They would replace “Surfing...” and “Maximum Security”.
    EJ’s and Yngwie’s playing both had a profound impact on my playing.

ronole and abracadabra like this.
  5. mikebat

mikebat Member

I prefer Flexable. I also prefer Not Of This Earth over Surfing. P&W and SWTA became part of that Sharpnel/shred factory that cranked out record after record with the same cast of supporting musicians and tones. I know it s what made these two guys into who they became, but I much prefer the innocence and unique sounds, songs and approaches in their previous work.

Then there is Blow By Blow, and Ah Music Viacom, and Metal Fatigue from Holdsworth

The Shrapnel years produced some insane guitar music, but none of it stuck with me. I never go back and listen to any of it because...there is just a samesy-no-song-ness to it IMO. But....now.....I will go back and listen to P&W, Greg Howe's 1988 record, Vine Moore's debut and MacAlpine's Edge of Insanity. None of it will make it into a playlist for me but I really admire their dedication and skill.

freedom's door and NorCal_Val like this.
  6. NorCal_Val

NorCal_Val Member

Neither Satch nor Vai was a Shrapnel artist.

7. mikebat

mikebat Member

I know. I bought those two records the day of release.

I bought the older ones two via mail order.

We had a few friends that used to buy all the Shaprnel stuff the day it was available on import, pooling our money and usually paying about $30 per record. We would tape the first time we would listen to the LP's on Chrome TDK tapes in order to preserve the records. We were fanatics about the Shrapnel stuff.

But....Vai and Satch were in that world too, just on other labels.

NorCal_Val likes this.
  8. NorCal_Val

NorCal_Val Member

I’ve still got all the Shrapnel stuff on cd.(I was a buyer for Tower records while I was in college)
    I loved the Shrapnel stuff, but I thought “P&W”, in particular, was just next level in terms of playing, composition, and production.

9. mikebat

mikebat Member

I was a buyer too! I bought for Discus/Cheapies, Club Biz and Future Shop. I loved those jobs, but I saw the end of the industry, but the old hippies that worked in it continued to think it was 1984 and plowed on without change. A few months later they were all middle aged guys with zero skills looking for work.

As for P&W...I had kinda moved on from the guitar centric music and the songs on P&W just did not do it for me on any other level but guitar nerdiness. Blue Powder stuck a little, mostly because I knew it from the Soundsheet

T Dizz and NorCal_Val like this.
  10. Slash

Slash Supporting Member

This would make a good poll. I'm just not sure of which ones should be on it. I love Vai's P&W but Satch's Surfing is my #1

T Dizz likes this.
  11. T Dizz

T Dizz Member

I really love that record too.

12. Iceman63

Iceman63 Member

I think it’s quite subjective. I do like P&W, and a lot of the other albums listed here as well. Actually one of my favorite instrumental guitar albums is electric world from Neil Schon

13. whatizitman

whatizitman Member

Praise and Western.

You can have both kinds.

Sam Hill and beanbass like this.
  14. MikeMcK

MikeMcK Supporting Member

So... none of you guys have Dregs of the Earth? If that's not a familiar name, you need to check it out. Personal bias, but it's usually my answer when the short question is, "what's your favorite album?"

FuzzyAce and beanbass like this.
  15. Will Chen

Will Chen Member

Well at least I did mention Steve Morse!

Another fav of mine, not totally instrumental but Brad Paisley's Play is a great album.
    Also for all those who loved Ah Via Musicom, do yourself a favor and listen to his first album Tones if you haven't.

MikeMcK, FuzzyAce and beanbass like this.
  16. aliensporebomb

aliensporebomb Member

A lot of these are great and favorites but you might want to check out Steve Tibbetts:

"YR" (the most accessible one) and "Safe Journey".

Here's a video to give you an idea of what he's like:

At its peak it's like a more eclectic tribal King Crimson type sound - this tune needs to be cranked loud especially during the hard rock part.

tiktok and Jimi1983 like this.
  17. Jason UP

Jason UP Supporting Member

I'm a Steve Morse guy....one mentioned High Tension Wires, but it's all about Southern Steel from the Steve Morse Band!

Yeah then Praise & Worship haha then Surfing, at 3 and 4...Southern Steel and HTW are 1, 2!

Growlycake and Jimi1983 like this.
  18. beanbass

beanbass Member

I was going to mention What If as a favorite, but Dregs of the Earth is right there with it for me.

MikeMcK likes this.
  19. guitararmy

guitararmy Member

Another vote for Steve Morse, either Southern Steel, Coast to Coast or High Tension Wires.
    I also like some of the tracks on Shawn Lane's Powers of Ten, and of course Beck's Blow by Blow.

FuzzyAce likes this.
  20. FuzzyAce

FuzzyAce Member

A lot of good mentions already. Passion and Warfare was big for me, came at the beginning of me just getting interested in guitar. Really inspired me to play more, bought the tab book too and tried to learn as much as i could. The production set it apart from a lot at that time not to mention the playing. Of course Satch was my dude at the same time. Surfin...,Flying..., were ground breaking albums imo. But the one i go back to often is the Extremist. Beautifully recorded and mixed, and well crafted songs that have a more raw power vibe. It was later that I started getting into Beck, Blow by Blow is definitely in my top 3. Shawn Lane's Powers of Ten impacted me. So many others.