Is there a builder that can add tap tempo to a digital delay?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Black_Label, Apr 9, 2015.

1. Black_Label

Black_Label Member

Straight up question. Has anyone done this?

2. gibs5000

gibs5000 Member

Not impossible, but not practical, considering the cost and time it would take to perform such a mod. I think its easier/cheaper to do this to a basic analog delay than a digital delay. Example being the mod offered by molten voltage that allows not only tap tempo for the carbon copy/ malekko 616, but allows for subdivisions and presets as well.

3. Jack DeVille

Jack DeVille Member

Second'd.

While anything is possible, this particular task is a bit more involved than adding a jack and calling it good. There is a beauty in the simple as well as the complex. :)

4. Black_Label

Black_Label Member

I know it would be tricky because, if it wasn't, we'd hear about people around here doing it more often. Just trying to see if there's someone who could do it.

5. midwayfair

midwayfair Member

What kind of digital delay?

If it's a PT2399-based Delay, then yes. There's a chip for that. It costs $20. The PCB to build it to add it onto the pedal is another $3-8. The time to build it is whatever the builder charges. The pedal is still limited to the 500mS or whatever the chip can put out, and it still sounds bad or requires additional filtering above about 450mS. It takes up a good 2-3 square inches in the pedal, so you'd need a pedal with some extra room in there to even consider adding it, and that's not exactly common with this chip as it was manufactured to create easy and simple delays.

If it's something full-on programmed like what Catalinbread, Strymon, and others make, then it is almost never something you can just add, because it has to be part of the delay's programming in the first place.

6. Black_Label

Black_Label Member

Thanks! The delay is an old Chandler SDE rack delay. So, it's got the room in the case but I have no idea about the technology used inside.

7. gibs5000

gibs5000 Member

To elaborate on my first post, by what I was saying, I was implying that I haven't seen any builders/moderns advertise to performing this service. As stated before, it would be abc ery involving/difficult mod to do. Which more than likely why no one advertises for the service. Especially since not all digital delays are pt2399, let alone programmed the same.

8. ClassicLP

ClassicLP Member

9. Black_Label

Black_Label Member

So it can be done, but it's a pita and no one wants to do it?

10. gibs5000

gibs5000 Member

basically, that, and I'd imagine the cost would be rather high to help "compensate" the builder/modder for their time spent on such a project. Thus eliminating a number of possibly interested customers, once they read the price for the mod. And as pointed out earlier, not all pedals are the same, so it would be hard to work out a tap tempo circuit that would work for every delay thats out there.

11. Black_Label

Black_Label Member

I see. But is there anyone that can and will do it?

12. ERGExplorer

ERGExplorer Member

Dude, if you are willing to pay, I'm sure that someone would be willing to do so.

You should post an ad over at FSB or DIYstompboxes with how much you're willing to pay for the mod, including time and materials, or how much you'd be willing to pay as an hourly bench fee while someone traces your unit and then designs the circuit, draws, etches and populates the mod board, and then installs it.

Out of curiosity... how much is this worth to you? What's the most you would pay for this?

I'm genuinely curious, because a lot of the time, people start looking for this kind of work, and then don't want to talk turkey, or they don't want to pay what the time and effort actually cost.

How much, friend?

13. add4

add4 Member

Wether it's possible and the cost depends of the technology used in the pedal ( more precise than 'digital delay' ). As other said it's possible for some technologies but not for all. And then it depends of the circuit topology the modder would have to study the schematic, if it's not available, to trace the unit , then to imagine a tap tempo mod, build it, test it, iterate in case it doesn't work the first time, so invest time and money into this.
    So I think the actual cost of this would be way ( waaaaaaay) higher than anyone would be willing to pay for it.
    Or by chance, it's a pt2399 delay using a pretty common circuit topology but then you could buy 38307237 other ones with the tap tempo built in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

14. Black_Label

Black_Label Member

Well, I have no idea what it's worth. And as an artist myself, it's not for me to tell another artist what their time is worth; only whether or not I can afford it.

That said, I don't know much about the technology in my delay unit. Maybe it's fairly similar to other digital delays and not a super hard job; maybe it's a really tall order. I'd need someone who's more familiar with those circuits to tell me.

15. DRS

DRS Member

How much can you afford? $100? $500? At what point do you just buy a delay with the features you want?

16. Resonate01

Resonate01 Member

Some prefer the sounds of their delay pedals over the feature-full units. I prefer the sound of a DD-3 over a Timeline, and would rather have the sound I want and be able to mod the pedal to suit my needs instead of getting a pedal I don't like just so I get the necessary features. Some people are just like that.

However, a pedal like the DD-3 is useless for my applications without tap tempo. So if someone offered a mod that would allow me to add tap tempo to my DD-3, I'd do it and spend the money for it, since it's the tone I like.

17. Black_Label

Black_Label Member

This.

I've tried just about every delay out there and there just isn't one made that has everything I need. I want my SDE, only with tap tempo.

18. MoltenVoltage

MoltenVoltage Member

Thanks for the mention!

Actually the Carbon Copy is an analog delay, but our Delaytion controller adds digital controls for tap tempo, 3 subdivisions, rate and depth controls for modulation and storage of 4 presets.

[​IMG]

We also make MIDI Delaytion, which stores 128 preset and auto-scales the CC's delay time if you send it too slow of a tempo.
    [​IMG]

We do the CC mods ($25), but also have instructions if you are a DIY'er

I actually spent a month or so working up a control chip for the PT2399 digital delay, which is in a lot of "boutique" delays, and which sounds fairly analog because of it's low sample rate. Even though the PT2399 is a digital chip, the delay time is controller with an analog resistance which creates lots of problems with accuracy. I scuttled that project since the digital potentiometers have a +/- 20% tolerance and that wasn't nearly accurate enough for me. I did think of some work-arounds, but when I revisited the chip, I remembered how much I dislike the sound of the PT2399 and really just prefer the sound of the analog chips in the CC or Malekko Ekko, or using a modern digital delay like the TimeLine.

.:. Bill

19. gibs5000

gibs5000 Member

Seeing as no one seems to be familiar wih the pedal, I think it's gonna be a longshot that there's even a builder/modded familiar with your delay, let alone having the know how to make the mod for the pedal. I think your best bet is to get in contact with chandler and see what they have to say about his mod, if it's possible or if they can give you a schematic of the unit so you can find someone willing to quote you a price on the job. Which is going to be expensive, there's no doubt as far as that goes.

20. tinkercity

tinkercity Supporting Member

Barry at XacTone Effects XTS custom shop can do this. I've seen their FB page with Boss delays with a tap installed on them.