Is there a Capo that actually works?

GibsonGeek

Or am I just dumb? In my 25+ years of playing/gigging, I have never needed or used a capo. Now I have the need.

I’ve ordered a new capo and a vintage capo. Neither seem to work for me. When clamped, the open notes are muted and just plain crap. Especially the outer E strings. I’ve moved the capos back and forth within the fret space to try and find a happy medium. Nothing.

ChrisVereb

Are you trying to use a capo on a particularly narrow radius neck maybe? I've pretty much only used them on my (generally flatter) acoustics and haven't had much problem. I tend to only use them in certain scenarios where I'm not sweating tone all that much though. I may have nits to pick if I really looked into it.

GibsonGeek

Are you trying to use a capo on a particularly narrow radius neck maybe? I've pretty much only used them on my (generally flatter) acoustics and haven't had much problem. I tend to only use them in certain scenarios where I'm not sweating tone all that much though. I may have nits to pick if I really looked into it.
Ok you’ve answered part of my question. Turns out, I AM dumb. Flat bar won’t work properly across a curved Strat fretboard. Common sense really. Moving on, I still don’t have clear open notes on my acoustic 12-string.

And I’ve seen capos on Strats. Barenaked Ladies guy for example. What’s he using?

dancehall

Ok you’ve answered part of my question. Turns out, I AM dumb. Flat bar won’t work properly across a curved Strat fretboard. Common sense really. Moving on, I still don’t have clear open notes on my acoustic 12-string.

And I’ve seen capos on Strats. Barenaked Ladies guy for example. What’s he using?

Looks like a Shubb to me. That's all I use, never had a problem with them. Love the adjustable tension.

Adagietto

Silver Supporting Member
The Planet Waves NS capos work well and are not expensive (~$20). I use one, although mostly on acoustics. Adjustable tension is mandatory IMO, and the closer the capo matches the fretboard radius, the better it will work in general.

GibsonGeek

So there are different radius capos for different necks? Lordy. So if I’m gigging with multiple guitars, I need a different capo for each guitar sounds like. Again, I feel dumb.

guitarno

Gold Supporting Member
I've used a number of different capo's, including some fancy and expensive ones, and they all pull the strings out of tune enough to be a problem for me. The best answer to this and the method I feel works the best is a simple Shubb capo and I put the rubber bar right on top of the fret, not in-between. You need a real low profile capo to do this or it's hard to finger notes in the fret right next to the capo. And you do need a Capo that somewhat matches the curvature of your fingerboard.

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/ShubbC1--shubb-c1-standard-capo-for-steel-string

The Shubb standard capo, when used like this has the least effect on your tuning of anything I've ever used. It takes some getting used to and you have to position it correctly but once you do it works without constantly re-tuning and you shouldn't get "deadened" notes like you described.

GibsonGeek

All good info guys, thank you. This is why I come here. I’ve been a working rock musician for many years but I learn something new every day here. Main thing I’ve learned, I don’t know much about the gear I play or encounter. The quest for gear knowledge never ends.

eyeball987

Silver Supporting Member
I have used a Kyser quick change for probably 10 or 15 years and it works well. Still interested in those fancy G7th capo's though. Almost bought one yesterday because I had a 20% off coupon but still couldn't pull the trigger.

G7th Performance 2.

https://www.g7th.com/performance-2-capo

I joined a band that plays almost every song with a different capo position. I've been through tons of capos and this is the only one I've found that works. I had tuning issues with all other capos. The G7th is the quickest and easiest to use, and I don't have tuning issues with it.

The Performance 3 is also very nice. I don't find the Performance 2 to have tuning issues with my guitars (Fender and Gibson), but I did buy the 3 to check it out. It's heavier and a little bulkier than the 2. I wind up using the 2 most of the time.

Amazon and eBay have them for decent prices.

panther_king

Get a G7th capo - their 'compression adjustable' tension will allow you to at least hit a sweet spot on all your strings more quickly than with a screw-tensioned model or a spring tensioned model that isn't adjustable at all. They make the Performance model in 3 types depending on the radius, but the standard 6 string model should work on anything 9 3/4" to 17".

Also, make sure you're placing it just behind the fret, and not at the fret marker between two; that's bound to pull you sharp.

caledoneus

Kyser works fine for me.

Where are you placing the capo when you put it on? if you are putting it directly on the fret, that may be your problem. You have to put it just above the fret (like you would fret that note) or else it will "mute" the strings as well.

Trending Topics