Is there a chance of ever finding an 8-9lb LP Custom?

Pax

Gold Supporting Member
I've always loved the look of Les Paul Customs. I especially love the tri-burst Customs. My issue is trying to find one that's not a boat anchor.

Have they ever made one in the 8 - 9 pound range with a 60s neck? What if there was a model that was actually under 8lbs? Oh, my gosh!

Please don't say something like, "It has to weigh a lot to be a true Custom!" I'm not a purest about this kind of stuff.

Oh, and when I say "chance", I mean reasonable chance if you went looking for one for a couple months.

From what I've been told, Customs were originally manufactured with a body that was about 1/4 of an inch thicker than the Standard. Whether or not that's still true (assuming it ever was), another thing to keep in mind is that most Customs aren't going to have all the weight relief features that have become standard on many other Gibson LP models coming out today. Gibson comes out with special edition light weight LPC models every couple years, though - I remember a 2012 Les Paul Custom Lite going for about $1500 new a couple years ago.

guitarnut_1

I did play a flamed 2003 butterscotch one and it was an AWESOME guitar in this weight region.... but the neck was nice and chunky which I liked as well. I didn't buy it, as the owner was asking as much as a new R9 and his custom was used..... I missed the same guitar on the bay a few years ago at a stupidly low price, will probably never come across a used one at a good price. I don't like the tribursts, but would love to get a flamed butterscotch one, or a TV yellow all mahogany, a corina one, or an all mahogany red one. These are the ones I like.

megaboogie

Silver Supporting Member
Get the chambered one, they sound real great too.
I also have a zakk wylde custom, that thing probably weights about 10lbs, but it's really not too bad.

shallbe

Deputy Plankspanker
Platinum Supporting Member
My 2002 '68 reissue weighs 10 lbs even. Bib neck. I would not change a thing about it.

55goldtop

I forget the exact weight, but my much abused early 70s Custom is under 9 pounds. It was my first real guitar. I was an early teenager and it cost 450$ used.

Pax

Gold Supporting Member
Why are they typically so heavy? I've always wondered

Good question.

Find a chambered one.

I'm fine with chambered. In fact, I prefer it. Do they do any chambered models in the USA line. Custom shop prices are now unobtainium for me.

Wildwood has a True Historic Custom at 8.66 lbs.

Wildwoood...phfft!

Going to their website is like going to a museum for me. Incredibly beautiful treasures that I'll never be able to afford. I don't have any issues with that. It's just my reality. More power to you if you can.

muzishun

Get an old mij, I have seen them in that weight range.

Tokai, Burny, Greco from '78 to '85 are great.

I have a '79 Tokai lp that's 8.5 pounds. Feels great. But it's a standard.

Btw it has a 58 shape neck and although I generally don't like fat necks, it's very comfortable. Something you might consider.

Also, AFA Tokai, to get the sixties neck you need to go '81 or newer.

jlb32

Probably never going to find one under 8lbs. that isn't chambered. My 2005 is between 9-10lbs.

As far as Wildwood Guitars go they are a great dealer. They carry pretty much everything Gibson offers from the USA line to the most expensive Custom Shop models. The prices they list are MAP. Just like every Gibson dealer is required to list. They do negotiate on prices though. Usually much better new deals than places like GC, Musicians Friend, etc.. will negotiate.

Totally Bored

Under 8lbs is crazy talk.

FWIW my 2010 68RI is 9.5lbs.

D63FEFBD-1F54-4283-8D5F-408EFE4CD757_zpspvknjrmv.jpg

Pax

Gold Supporting Member
As far as Wildwood Guitars go they are a great dealer. They carry pretty much everything Gibson offers from the USA line to the most expensive Custom Shop models.

You're absolutely correct. They are a well respected dealer and have a diverse line. I in no way meant anything derogatory. It's just my luck that the items that fit my wants are always the expensive stuff.

Under 8lbs is crazy talk.

Agreed. I usually try and stay with chambered LPs b/c I like them under 8lbs. For a custom, I'm willing to go 8-9lbs. Still hard to find one that's not custom shop expensive with a 60s neck. If that's all there is, it's fine. I'm just wondering about the USA line getting something with those specs.

Beautiful guitar, btw.

schwa

Sometimes I think that light weight LP Customs are the Sasquatches of the guitar world. Some people claim to have seen them, but I sure haven't.

LP Customs are one of my favorite guitars, and I'm lucky to have had a few. My current one is an '01 R7 and is a particularly nice example. Unfortunately, it is on the heavy side - I don't think it's 10 pounds, but it's close. Quite noticable when compared to my 9 pound and 8 pound LP's.

Something to consider - LP customs vary from guitar to guitar - just like any model. I'd concentrate on finding the best LP Custom I could find and afford, rather than limiting myself to light weight ones. If the one you pick is light - great.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom