Is there a chance of ever finding an 8-9lb LP Custom?

59burst

Platinum Supporting Member
Totally do-able. I searched for a few years for an 8 lb'er and during the course of that search came across quite a few in the 8.5 range, give or take. I ended up with a '54 reissue that is not chambered and is 7.9 lbs. It plays and sounds great, and I've used it at band rehearsals and is has the balls that a LP should.

LPB4_zpsvpg2tvzk.jpg

RayBarbeeMusic

Gold Supporting Member
A friend I used to be in a band with had a '67 or '68 Custom (a real one) and it was light, definitely sub 9lbs. So they are out there.

jlb32

Ever thought about trying a Gibson 335? Great weight and IMO they are Les Paul killers. More versatile and just amazing guitars. I love my LP's but my 335's are just killer also. Plus Gibson Memphis is making some of the best guitars ever right now. Gibson Nashville could take a few pointers IMO.

Elduderino73

Yes. There are these. Played one at GC. There fine, but I'd love to stay with the traditional dimensions if possible.
I agree. I've never seen one of these in person but it just doesn't seem right for any Les Paul to be so thin.

pepedede

I had a 1978 custom tobacco burst that was 8.9lbs, it was before weight relieving started in 1982. It was the lightest 70's les paul I had ever found which is definitely the exception in my experience.

Sirloin

Silver Supporting Member
Ever thought about trying a Gibson 335? Great weight and IMO they are Les Paul killers. More versatile and just amazing guitars. I love my LP's but my 335's are just killer also. Plus Gibson Memphis is making some of the best guitars ever right now. Gibson Nashville could take a few pointers IMO.

saltydogg

Rock & Roll Enthusiast
Hey Pax, how ya been? It's definitely possible, but not easy.

I found this CS '57RI at Dave's Guitars a few years ago. 8lbs 8oz

Good luck!! They're out there!

100_4566_zpsc20d796d.jpg

59burst

^^^^^ that is sweet! I love the white binding. now they yellow it to the point where it looks green, which is weird, imho.

teledude55

Silver Supporting Member
Gibson Custom shop gets the first pick of lumber, you can usually find Custom bursts for 9lbs, maybe less if you're lucky. The Blacks and Gold tops are typically heavier, 9.5-10+ lbs. I had a Black LP Custom that was like 12lbs...thing had MONSTER tone but would break your back. lol

Tim Plains

'50s style Customs are all mahogany, have fat necks, usually black, sometimes cherry or yellow, and can go anywhere from the low 8 lbs upwards. The other Customs all have maple tops and this is why they tend to be heavier. I have never seen a burst style '50s based Custom from the factory. Guitar Center had/has a run of tri-burst '68 spec based Customs with slim '60s neck. They are usually heavy, though.

My '57 reissue Custom is 8.7 lbs and my '68 reissue Custom is 9.5 lbs. The dealer I got the '68RI from said it was the lightest '68 he had ever received from Gibson and that most are in the 11-12 lb range.

matmont1305

I've got an '81 Tokai LC100 that weighs 3.75kg or 8.3lbs. Nitro, ebony, slab mahogany body, MOP, nibs etc. Awesome guitar.

P1010940.jpg

guitarnut_1

Question is if this Tokai is solid or chambered... I had a Burny LP custom from the mid 80's which was definitely chambered! Very nice guitar, but not solid.

guitarnut_1

I think finding a custom reissue in the 9lbs range is certainly possible. In fact all of the 57 or 68 reissues I have tried were in this range (<10lbs). I have never owned a Gibson LP Custom, but I have played quite a few.....

Hwy14

There is a silver burst custom on eBay - advertised at 9.1 lbs...I know it's not a black historic, but...

Pax

Gold Supporting Member
Hey Pax, how ya been? It's definitely possible, but not easy.

I found this CS '57RI at Dave's Guitars a few years ago. 8lbs 8oz

Good luck!! They're out there!

Been well, Salty. Good to hear from you. Man, do you buy every awesome looking LP made? Beautiful guitar! Leave some for the rest of us. :D

Still rockin' the Carol Ann?

My search for the perfect (and affordable) LP Custom will continue.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom