Is there a chance of getting a ew guitar that sound like a old 61 SG?

Discussion in 'The Small Company Luthiers' started by abergdahl, Aug 14, 2005.

1. abergdahl

abergdahl Member

I have found a great sounding 61 Les Paul (SG) that i need to have. It is not a "untuched" collectors guitar but a nice player with OK orginal frets. So it willl be less than a new Gibson CS guitar :) .

But for sake of argument, is it possible to get that dry woody sound from a newly made guitar?
    IF so would one need 40+ years old wood?

2. rockon1

rockon1 Member

Ive got a few semi-old guitars(2 Ibanez Artists and a Les paul) built in the seventies.Just bought a new Artist on clearance and it sounds as good to me as the originals.Yeah they have more"vintage vibe cool factor" for sure and I think that plays a big part mentally, however, with the right electronics Id take a better feeling/playing guitar over an aged one any day. That just my opinion and Im sure others will disagree...:)

3. Unburst

Unburst Member

If you can find a guy that builds new guitars with old wood (e.g. JG) otherwise old wood is the way to go imo.

Also, if you can find an original vintage Gibson that is less than a CS then snap it up 'cos you KNOW it's not going down in value.

4. matte

matte Senior Member

The code was cracked by a badass in Malmo.

5. cocheese

cocheese Supporting Member

Come again Matte? :confused:

I'm all ears! :D

6. abergdahl

abergdahl Member

:D Malmö, rings a bell. PRoblem is it's a BIT more expensive than this vintage guitar. And he has old wood and magic hands.

7. abergdahl

abergdahl Member

OK I couldnÂ’t resist:rolleyes: so i now have a 1961 Les Paul in "player" condition that sound great. I did a Quick clip with it through my Custom By Cougar Thunderbird . Great vinatage sound at around 1.50 something i turn down the tone on the bridge pickup for a Cream era Clapton sound, sort of.

T-Bird Helps Poor SG

I will post picks later... if you want.

8. Ian Anderson

Ian Anderson Member

Get one of the SG shaped melody makers or a thin body '60s epiphone like an epiphone. Ditch the stock pickups and have it routed for buckers or P-90s. Those things have that old hollow tone in spades and are excellent guitars! You can get them all day long fopr well under $1k in most cases around $6-800

I was after that tone as well, and built a sg standard replica. I nailed it with new wood. Super light mahogany, hide glue, nitro lacquer, and a brazilian fretboard.

Not for sale and no interest in making another but here it is.

[​IMG]

http://www.lilypix.com/photos/data/e4da3b7fbbce2345d7772b0674a318d5/full_2136_p1670.jpg

http://www.lilypix.com/photos/data/e4da3b7fbbce2345d7772b0674a318d5/tb_2136_p1672.jpg

http://www.lilypix.com/photos/data/e4da3b7fbbce2345d7772b0674a318d5/2136_p1400.jpg