• The Gear Page Apparel & Merch Shop is Open!

Based on member demand, The Gear Page is pleased to announce that our Apparel Merch Shop is now open. The shop’s link is in the blue Navigation bar (on the right side), “Shop,” with t-shirts, hats, neck buffs, and stickers to start. Here’s the direct link: www.thegearpageshop.com

You’ll find exclusive high-quality apparel and merchandise; all items are ethical, sustainably produced, and we will be continuously sourcing and adding new choices. 

We can ship internationally. All shipping is at cost.

Is there a device to get you a direct out signal from a speaker cable?

D

dinrodef

I was thinking of buying an amp with no efx loop or DI... but I need a direct out to run with a sub cab

Is there a device for this? I think I saw one in the forums before..thanks

Blue Strat

There used to be a direct box called a Red Box that did what you want. I'm pretty sure they're less expensive than Hot Plates but don't offer the attenuation function.

Randy

Silver Supporting Member
Originally posted by Blue Strat
There used to be a direct box called a Red Box that did what you want. I'm pretty sure they're less expensive than Hot Plates but don't offer the attenuation function.
However the Red box and others like it have built in cabinet simulation and are intended to go right to a mixer for recording or PA.

Blue Strat

Originally posted by Randy
However the Red box and others like it have built in cabinet simulation and are intended to go right to a mixer for recording or PA.
But since the cabinet emulator has a similar response to a cab (which knocks of high end) I don't think you'd be losing anything.

hasserl

Weber VST has quite a few products that will also acomplish this. The simplest one is probably the Headphone Tap that is designed to provide a dummy load for an amp so it can be run without a speaker, and also a headphone tap and a variable line out.

A little more sophisticated is the Power Tap.

Here: http://www.tedweber.com/atten.htm

Ed DeGenaro

Silver Supporting Member
Originally posted by Blue Strat
But since the cabinet emulator has a similar response to a cab (which knocks of high end) I don't think you'd be losing anything.
Asuming he wants to use the line-out signal for a wet/dry rig the roll off will be an issue.
However, and I remember that anymore the Red Box may have a bypass.

FWIW, long before I worked for THD I started using Hot Plates so I had delay post power amp on my JMPs.

Gary Brennan

Platinum Supporting Member
The current Red box incarnation (Red Box Pro) does either speaker simulated or or unsimulated line out, selectable via a switch.

gb

GCDEF

Silver Supporting Member
Behringer also has the Ultra-G, which is quite a bit cheaper than the others and works just as well. You can turn cabinet simulation on or off.

drbob1

Gold Supporting Member
Unfortunately, the Red Box only has an XLR output, so you'd have to run thru a transformer to get a line level signal for your sub. Doesn't Weber have schematics for a simple, resistor based tap to get a line level signal? You'd parallel a large resistor with the speaker cable and tap a small vltage signal off of that...

D

dinrodef

Thanks everybody... I think the THD hotplate is the way to go for my use

Trending Topics